Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There is an 1841 census for a Susannah Woods in Orsett. Most unusually the relationship between the head of the household and her has been recorded (it was not required in 1841 census) however she is listed as grandchild of Samuel Enever age 80. Elizabeth Enever age 33 and Thomas Enever 27 are also in the household. No relationships given.
    Do you have the marriage certificate for Susan and Samuel? This will give father's names and occupations.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

No I don't, unfortunately. There is so much mystery to it all.

You can order marriage certificates from the GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    Enter the details exactly as they appear on FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    Unfortunately purchasing certificates has to be done to make sure we are following the correct lines and not spending a lifetime on the wrong family.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

This is the baptism of Samuel referred to by the previous posters
    Samuel Shelford
    Christened 1 Sept 1813
    AT St Ann's Blackfriars London
    Father - Nathaniel Shelford
    Mother - Susanna

As also said in one of the old posts this Samuel needs to be tracked to make sure he is the one who ends up in Essex married to Susan Woods.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

There is this death but not the one born 1813 because he is aged 78 at death so born c1766, March 1/4 1844 reg dist Stepney vol 2 page 397
    Another died in 1863 Islington but he was under a year old.
    Have to leave it for now
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thank you! I agree its difficult to be certain who is who. I am going to send for the marriage certificates. How does one track whether or not Samuel - Sept. 1813 is the same Samuel that married Susan woods?

Rhonda

Quote Originally Posted by Rhondashelford View Post
    Thank you! I agree its difficult to be certain who is who. I am going to send for the marriage certificates. How does one track whether or not Samuel - Sept. 1813 is the same Samuel that married Susan woods?

Rhonda
    Buying Samuel's marriage certificate to Susan Wood is the place to start. It will give his father's name, hopefully and father's occupation. It may also have the names of witnesses who could be family so that will help.
    The second marriage certificate could also help by confirming the name of Samuel's father but I would buy the certificate for his first marriage to start with.
    I have eliminated two of the Samuel Shelfords who died 1837 - 1861 as the one born 1813 in Blackfriars post #25 I used the GRO index which gives the age at death.
    We can also eliminate Samuel Shelford who died age 2 in Baintree Essex 1847. his mother's maiden name was Townsend.
    Eliminating deaths means the Samuel baptised 1813 is still alive. Now we need to find him in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.
    Samuel was approximately 34 when he married Susan Wood which is a little late for a first marriage. i wonder if he had been married before? If so his status on the marriage certificate should show as widower, unless he told a lie.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Trying to find Samuel in the 1841 census the only likely looking one I can see is this . Having names recorded wrong does happen and in the 1841 census the ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 so Samuel could have been born 1817 to 1821 by his age on this census. Then again he played fast and loose with his age either lying to seem closer to his young wives' ages or because he genuinely didn't know when he was born or where if his parents moved to Essex when he was young. So many scenarios to consider.
    1841 HO107 Piece 322 Book 24 Folio 14 Page 22
    Orsett, Essex,
    William Kimmings 30 ag lab Essex
    Sarah Kimmings 25 Essex
    Emma Kimmings 6 Essex
    Richard Kimmings 3 Essex
    James Kimmings 1 Essex
    Samuel Shelver 20 ag lab Essex
    Robert Perry 30 ag lab Essex

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

I just ordered the marriage certificate. You are really good at tracking the Samuels like that! I so appreciate it. My 93 year old Aunt has worked on this for years and I have been trying for a few so you are a great help!

Thank you!

Settling in

So when you say ages were rounded down do you mean if someone was 18 the census would have recorded him at 15? He did change his age all the time, too bad details are lost.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast