MariaL

Question Death Lookup Please

Hello,

Would it be possible for someone to lookup the death of Anne Cowan (nee Cornyn) who died in June 1879 in Ottawa? Any details, such as parents etc would be greatly received.

Many thanks,
    Maria

thecouch

Hi Maria,

I could only find an Ann Cowan who died May 18, 1879 in Waterloo County, Ontario (other (west) end of the province from Ottawa though). Would this be your same Ann? They indicated she was born in Scotland in the year 1811. Let me know if this is the person you are looking for or if their might be a different name that I can look up

thecouch

MariaL

Hi thecouch,

Many thanks for your reply and taking the time to do this lookup for me. I have found her gravestone in North Gower Union Cemetery, Ottawa and it says that she died on June 18th, 1879. It also says that she was (along with her husband who's buried with her), Native of Leitrim, Ireland. I know that her maiden name was Cornyn.

Thanks, Maria

v.wells

1871 Canada Census
    Ann Cowan
    Birth Year: abt 1813 b Ireland
    Widowed
    R Catholic
    Irish
    Province: Ontario
    District: Ottawa
    District Number: 77
    Division: 01
    Subdistrict: Wellington Ward
    Subdistrict Number: a

Also listed are:

Joseph Cowan 18
    Bridget Cowan 16
    James Cowan 14
    All children born Ontario.

I am just going to look at the Druin Collection for possible deaths.

v.wells

Browsed a couple of sites and didn't find anything but this:

"In Ontario, civil registration dates from July 1, 1869. The Archives of Ontario holds records of births from 1869 to 1910, marriages from 1869 to 1925, and deaths from 1869 to 1935. Incomplete marriage registers prior to 1869 are also available.

Due to the large demand, staff members at that office are unable to undertake genealogical searches in these vital records. However, microfilm copies of the nominal indexes and the original registrations are available through inter-institutional loan from the Archives of Ontario and through your local Family History LibraryTM. Should you prefer to hire someone to search through those records on your behalf, the Archives of Ontario can provide a list of researchers. "

thecouch

Hi again,

From the Ontario Death Registrations, the only Cowan I seem to find in the Ottawa area is a Sarah Cowens who died June 21, 1879 in North Gower, Carleton (beside Ottawa). It indicates her birth year as 1792 and birth country as Ireland. However, it lists her religion as Methodist. Don't suppose her death could have been registered under a completely different name? (I have had this happen to me with regards to one of my great grandmothers who died in Ontario).

thecouch

MariaL

Hi Vanessa,
    thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't think that this is my Ann Cowan, as on her gravestone it says that she died aged 85 which would mean that she was born around 1794/5. The family were also Church of Ireland. I have had an interloan through the library before (for a will), so I will try to work out how to get the death registrations (I hadn't thought of that!).

Again, thank you for having a look for me, it's much appreciated.

Hi thecouch,

You are probably right, the name may have been written/transcribed incorrectly - I hope to be able to find it through the interloan service as Vanessa has suggested. Again, thanks for looking for me.

Happy New Year to you both!
    Maria

v.wells

Yes she may have had a middle name that she used. And being CoI means that she could have been Anglican, Methodist or even married a RC chap and changed her religion.
    The Archives site I mentioned is found thru collectionscanada.gc.ca.