Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question SCHOLES - War Record

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction to find records of my grandfather Henry (Harry) Scholes born 1887, died 20/2/1957 in Blackley and married to Agnes McMullen in Sept 1920.

My Mother told me that he was wounded in WW1 came back to England to a hospital in London called something like Lady Jane Grey Hospital (she couldn't remember exact name. I'd like to know where he fought in France but any information on him would be greatly appreciated.

I have also tried to find information on a sister he had called Lucy who went into the workhouse (I presume Union Workhouse (later Crumpsall hospital). Any info on her would be appreciated.

daggers

You really need his service papers if they have survived - only about 1/3 came though a fire during WW2. They would show details of next of kin, any hospital admissions etc.
    Do you have medals, badges or any other clues?

There are several Henry Scholes with Medal Index Cards on the National Archives Documents Online website. One is Manchester Regiment, one East Lancs, one Lancashire Fusiliers, but not every soldier served in his local regiment.
    If you risk paying £2 to TNA you might get all three in your download, but Ancestry will produce them free if you have a subscription.

Reputation beyond repute

The best advice that can possibly be provided is to look at the National Archives web site. Following the links from the home page quickly takes you to...
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...rafter1913.htm

For in depth information on researching army ancestors, have a look at the book "My Ancestor was in the British Army" by M & C Watts. Perhaps Santa will oblige

Geoffers

SCHOLES is a name which occurs quite a lot in and around Manchester, so I don't hold out too much hope this is him, but in the National Roll of the Great War there is mention of: H.A.SCHOLES, 6th Lancs Fusiliers, served Egypt and Gallipoli, wounded Aug 1915, discharged medically unfit. An address for him is given as Buile Street, Higher Broughton. The full entry can be viewed on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'.

Default SCHOLES

Thank you all very much for help, I now have a few ideas to follow up. Unfortunately I do not have any clues so I don't know if I can track him down, even my mother didn't know but I will try.

I did not get any further with this old thread but last week a door opened up by chance when I saw an article on the BBC about WW1 and the part Dunham Massey played. It looks like the place I've been looking for was at Dunham Massey in Cheshire.

My Mother repeatedly told the story of her Father being injured and on return to England was in a hospital she thought was called Lady Jane Grey and was in London. I have for years intermittently tried to trace where he was but to no avail. He died when I was 9 years old, too young to ask the questions so I've been unable to make any inroads and I think his war record were destroyed in WW2 as I've been unable to trace him that way.

Is there any kind person out there who may be visiting the WW1 exhibit who could see if Henry (Harry) Scholes is listed as being there?

Did you check pension records? I don't remember what was available in 2009, but Ancestry has the surviving records now. Like the service records, their survival is patchy, but if his wounds were bad enough, he might be listed somewhere.

Reputation beyond repute

It looks like the place I've been looking for was at Dunham Massey in Cheshire.
    Sorry but I haven't grasped why you think he might have been there when the family story is that he was in London.

Have you seen this list of military hospitals?

https://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm

There were plenty of Lady..... Hospitals in the London area!

Sorry I didn't relay all the information. The article on the BBC re WW1 told of a hospital set up at Dunham Massey where Lady Jane Grey lived and worked as a nurse. I expect that the detail about the hospital being in London wasn't right and this is actually the place where he was taken as he came from Manchester.

Reputation beyond repute

If you're saying he was invalided out, I would expect him to have got a Silver War Badge. The SWB roll is on Ancestry. There is one H Scholes and two Harry Scholes listed. No Henry.

Looking at these more closely and marrying them up with the medal Index cards we can see that H Scholes was actually Harold. The Harry Scholes in the Territorial Force was only 24 and too young to be your man.

That leaves 17707 Private Harry Scholes, East Lancs Regiment. No age shown.

That proves nothing, of course. I don't know if he really did get a SWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast