Very quick off the mark.

Default Barracks for Labourers

I have found a family in the 1871 Census living in "Barracks for Labourers" in Tugby, Leicestershire. Father's occupation was shepherd.

Google searches have come up with no information about these barracks.

Does anyone here know anything about them? Were they a national thing? What would they have consisted of?

Regards,

maggie

P.S. Maybe I should have posted this on the Leicestershire board.

Mutley

I cannot see anything either, sorry. There seemed to be a large county house, a stud and a farm at Keythorpe, that is not far away.

What does the enumeration district description say?

I have moved the thread to Leicestershire for you. The locals may know more.

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    What does the enumeration district description say?
    I didn't think of that. I'll go and look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I have moved the thread to Leicestershire for you. The locals may know more.
    Thank you

Regards,

maggie

Reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find it's just accommodation for labourers and that there's nothing special about it, nothing to Google.

But I don't think I agree with your interpretation. If you look all the way through the book, the enumerator is very sparing with "addresses" and there's a double separator before you get to the shepherd. I would read it as the shepherd being in some other unnamed accommodation.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    But I don't think I agree with your interpretation. If you look all the way through the book, the enumerator is very sparing with "addresses" and there's a double separator before you get to the shepherd. I would read it as the shepherd being in some other unnamed accommodation.
    Indeed - in fact the references to Barracks only appears to be written against Schedule no. 20. A single house appears to cover schedules 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 so they may all be 'barracks'.

Subsequent schedules may possibly be part of the same group of housing (barracks?), but nothing in the census indicates this.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I don't currently have access to census records but the name Tugby caught my eye because a gg-grandmother of mine was alleged to have been born there, although I've never been able to find the birth record.

I did however look at the 1891 map and noticed that there was a large collection of buildings on the north-west side of the A47 (Uppingham Rd) as it passed through the village. In fact although much of the village has been gentrified since those days, several of the buildings seem still to be standing today (see Google Map aerial view). I'm guessing that they would possibly have been workers' hovels in those days, if they weren't an unusually large collection of farm buildings for a small village. I suspect that "barracks" had much the same connotation as "court" or "yard" which described the two room terraced cottages that opened onto common yards off another road that were prevalent in the towns and cities of those times.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke