susandavis

Smile simons or simmons

PLEASE CAN ANY BODY HELP I AM TRYING TO FIND WILLIAM SIMONS WHO WAS MARRIELD TO PHYLISS HOUGHTON IN ODELL JAN 18TH 1802 DID HIS FAMILY COME FROM ODELL OR WAS HE BORN IN RUSDEN ?HE WAS MY 5 X GRANDFATHER AND AS YET I HAVE NOT GOT ANY FURTHER BACK HIS BIRTH GIVES ABOUT 1780 HE ALSO LIVED IN PODINGTON/HINWICK BEDFORDSHRE,

SUSAN DAVIS.
    NORTHAMPTON

Jan1954

Hello Susan - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Have you seen the actual parish entry as there may be clues therein. Click here to see the information that would be recorded.

It might just say that William was "of Odell", which could just mean that he was living there at the time. Also, if you can have a look at the marriage Banns, they may also help.

If you cannot find his baptism in the Odell parish records, it might well be a case of moving outwards from Odell. This page from GENUKI will help you to identify which parishes are closest.

Where have you found the Rusden connection?

Did he have the decency to survive to the 1851 census and state a place of birth?

JPBeds

Hello Susan,

From the Odell marriage transcript, William Simons was a labourer from Podington & Phyllis Oughton a lacemaker.

Interestingly Phyllis Oughton baptised daughter Frances on that Jan 18 1802 at Odell, born 26 Oct 1801. The entry does not state she was illegitimate.

William & Phyllis baptised 10 children at Podington between 1803 & 1823 according to the IGI.

1841 census has 60 year old Phillis living with son George (I assume)

I cannot see a William Simons born about 1780 that was baptised in Poddington perhaps he came across the border from Northants.

Regards John

susandavis

Default simons

HI JOHN ,
    many thanks i will keep looking for william simons i have tryed rushden northants maybe he was not christened.
    a distant cousin has now got his death cert and an age given as 64yrs but on the buriel it states him as 68.
    maybe i will never find were he was born unless somebody can give me a clue.

Regards.
    Susan

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

I see you are from Northampton I hope I am not stating the obvious, but if you go to the central library they have microfiches of all of Northamptonshire's parish records. The librarians will show you how to use them and it is all free. Failing that, you can go to Wooton Park Hall records office and look at all number of things including the actual parish records (although they prefer you to look at the fiches).
    Obviously, you may need to go to Bedford for Odell.

Sue