Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gardengal

Default Desperate for William Lee, Maltster, Notts!

Hello everyone!
    I have come to the end of the line on my LEE branch, too early! Can someone please help me progress further?

I have Edward Lee in the 1861 census, a soldier at Aldershot North Camp, aged 39. Born Nottingham. He is well documented with his wife Caroline in future censuses in Farnham, Surrey. Variously he gives his birthplace as St. Mary's, Notts, or Snenton, Notts. His birthdate is c1822. His marriage certificate states his father was William Lee, Malster.

I can't find Edward pre 1861 anywhere on the census, nor can I find a William Lee, Malster either? A birth cert search doesn't throw up anything definite for Edward either. I don't know much about the parishes of Nottingham, so would love some advice!
    Many thanks.

DRosebud

Welcome Gardengal,

There is a Edward Lee c1822 aged 29 Ag Labourer b. Newark, Nottinghamshire living at 6 Pallence Turch??
    1851 Census
    HO107/Piece: 2137/Folio: 268/ Page: 8
    (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
    Town Newark on Trent County Nottinghamshire

Deborah

Reputation beyond repute

Did you look in Sneinton? There is a William LEE, maltster there

TNA reference HO 107/867/7 f 32 p 15

But it isn't really the census you want. You need to get down to some parish register work now.

DRosebud

and this...

LEE, Lucy 55 b Nottinghamshire washerwoman
    LEE, Edward 20 b Nottinghamshire

1841 Census
    HO107/Piece: 868/Book: 3/Folio: 8/Page: 10
    (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
    Town: Newark on Trent County: Nottinghamshire

Deborah

Gardengal

Thank you Peter and Rosebud - I have already question-marked the Lucy Lee/Washerwoman entry and the Ag Lab.

Peter, what is on the entry for William Lee, Maltster from Sneinton?? I feel this is the one I am looking for. I only have a sub to FMP, but it comes up with no result found, so frustrating.

Are St. Mary's/Snenton close together?

I found him in 1861 as a soldier aged 39. He was the rank of seargent and was later a chelsea (out) pensioner. The Ag Lab entry I query as he may have had a longer time in the Army (45th Regiment, Sherwood Foresters) and joined up at an earlier age than 29?? Or he may simply have been away at war somewhere prior to 1861?

I would like more details of William the Maltster please!

bibliojunkie

Hi Gardengal

I think St Mary's Church is the one on High Pavement in Nottingham city centre. It is on the edge of the Sneinton area.

Regards, Ali

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengal View Post

Peter, what is on the entry for William Lee, Maltster from Sneinton?? I feel this is the one I am looking for. I only have a sub to FMP, but it comes up with no result found, so frustrating.
    Using the reference I gave you, you need to use FMP's "census reference search".

Henry St
    William Lee 50 Maltster N
    Ann Lee 40 Y

It may or may not turn out to be the right person, but you need to look at the parish registers.

Gardengal

Thank you Peter, I have found it!

I would like to think this is Edward's father and mother, as the coincidences are too close to ignore - eg, William, maltster and Sneinton. What a pity this is the end of the line for the census.

Parish records for Nottingham are going to be very difficult for me now, as I am on the South Coast and unlikely to go north.

Thank you for finding this for me.
    Any other help or comments gratefully received.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengal View Post
    Parish records for Nottingham are going to be very difficult for me now, as I am on the South Coast and unlikely to go north.
    A logistical problem to find a workaround! There's the Mormons - see the Family History catalogue, the Society of Genealogists has a good collection of Nottinghamshire registers, Notts Archives have a research service etc etc.

Nottinghamshire is one of the counties I'm interested in and I haven't hit any serious difficulty getting hold of parish registers.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengal
    I have Edward Lee in the 1861 census, a soldier at Aldershot North Camp, aged 39. Born Nottingham.....I can't find Edward pre 1861 anywhere on the census, nor can I find a William Lee, Malster either?
    If he was in the army in 1851 and stationed abroad, you will not find him a census then. Is he shown with any children in 1861 and do their birthplaces give any clues as to where he was stationed?

so would love some advice!
    Do you have his service record?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast