brimarge

Default John White - Coast Guard

My GG Grandfather is noted on his daughter (Agnes) wed cert April 1886 as being a Coast Guard, and not marked deceased. I have not been able to find him on any census (he originates from Ireland) I don't know if he ever came to England
    I wondered if I could trace any info through his coast guard connection.

Brian

Jan1954

Hello Brian,

Have you seen this TNA research guide for Coastguards?

stickymone

Hi Brian,

As Jan has already suggested check the TNA

If he was a coastguard around Ireland you need to look at this site

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org//news.php

Stickymone

brimarge

Thanks I will see what I find using these links.
    Brian

busyglen

Brian, if he was a Coastguard, it was very rare for someone born in Ireland to be operational in that area. Usually they were sent away from their home town/area so that they wouldn't collude with the smugglers. Likewise, men from England, were sent to Ireland on occasions.

I had a quick look at the Genuki, Coastguard list and there are a few John Whites. There's only one possible there, but couldn't find a daughter Agnes listed for him.

Glenys

brimarge

Thanks Glenys, I had not thought about collusion, good point.

I was hoping that the Coast Guard link might lead to additional information as I am up against a brickwall trying to find anything about "John White born Ireland" not much to go on there. He married Ann Farrell, nothing else is known.
    Brian

busyglen

I'd definately try the National Archives as they have the CG records. I originally found the Coastguard record of my husband's gt. grandfather at the NA. It was a few years ago, and I managed to find it via searching for his name, and Coastguard. Unfortunately with the name of `White' you could be looking at quite a lot of hits!

Hope you have some luck soon.

Glenys

racing girl

Hello Brian
    I would start with the one thing you know, and that's Agnes.... where was she married and do you know where she was born? If either of these places were somewhere along the coast it would give you a rough location and a date as to where to search first in the downloaded records from TNA.

Brenda

brimarge

Thanks Brenda

I'm afraid that Agnes does not take us very far, I have her Wed Cert, married in Maryport England, birth place all it says is born Ireland. Gives mother/father name + occupation Coastguard
    Brian

Geoffers

Have you downloaded the Coatguard service records from TNA's digital microfilm? - These are very large files, but free.

This part of the digital microfilm page tells you about searching the records

How old was Agnes when she married?

Who were the witnesses to her wedding - any relatives?

Does she turn up in later census returns with any family?

Who did Agnes marry? - Anyone with a naval conenction?