mariabyrne

Default 1st Life Guards 1840

Would anyone know which barracks the band of the 1st Life Guards was based at in 1840-1841? How could I go about finding out this information?

sue1

Combermere Barracks, Windsor.

Sue

mariabyrne

Hi Sue,
    thanks for that information. Would you have any idea if the trainee bandsmen of the regiment were with the 1st Life Guards at Combermere Barracks at that time? Have you any idea when 1st Life Guards left Combermere and where they went to next?

Thanks, Maria

stevenpenny

Hi,

Technically the 1st Life Guards didn't form until 1877.

From 1788 until 1877 they were known as the 1st Regiment Life Guards; then from 1877 to 1922 the 1st Life Guards; then from 1922 The LIfe Guards.

Combermere Barracks was built in 1804 and has been the home of the Household Cavalry ever since. The first recorded instance of the Life Guards Band was in 1795 but many were 'civilians' rather than trained soldiers. In the dates specified 1840 to 1841 the band was located with the Regiment at Combermere Barracks, but, the band was not on the established strength of the Regiment, and hadn't been since around 1799 which means that knowing where the Regiment was is not a good indicator of where the band was.

From 1857 the musicians were trained at Kneller Hall in Twickenham.

Steve

mariabyrne

Default 1st Life Guards Band 1840s

Thanks Steve for that information. My relative, Henry Hardy, joined the 1st Life Guards band in 1840 as a trainee musician. I think I may now have found him in the 1841 Census in a school called Priory House at Kilburn Priory. The boy next to him on that census list appears along with Henry in Regent's Park Barracks in the 1851 Census with the 1st Life Guards. Have you ever heard of Priory House or was it linked to the army? Unfortunately Kneller Hall has no details of Henry Hardy as he left the 1st Life Guards in 1852 to become a civilian conductor of various other army bands.
    Maria

stevenpenny

Hi Maria,

Can you post the census references please as there are 176 Henry Hardy's in the 1841 census?

Kilburn Priory was dissolved in 1536 on the order of Henry VIII and so the 'Priory School' is probably unrelated to the older Priory. Kilburn 'National School' was built in 1847, the Catholic School in 1872 and three Anglican Schools in the 1880's, so none of these fit your timeframe of 1841.

Steve

mariabyrne

Default 1st Life Guards, Priory House, Kilburn

Hi Steve,
    Here are the references for Henry Hardy in the 1841 Census at Priory House, Kilburn. I don't know how to make a direct link to the ancesty.co.uk website but here are the references. Thanks for your help.
    Maria

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 678; Book: 10; Civil Parish: St Marylebone; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 32; Page: 16; Line: 11.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 11-02-2010 at 9:05 PM. Reason: GSU roll number removed as it is copyright; links to Ancestry not permitted