esdel

Default Sir Oswald Mosley and others 1200 ad

I am trying to link up gaps between two trees.

I do so HOPE all of you can get som FUN from helping me:-

I was working with Sir Oswald's Memoirs of 1849 {1500-1919},and one James Lawlor whose findings go back quite a bit further than Oswald's.

There are a few glitches between the two.
    For instance Oswald says William, born 1246, died without issue, but I know he was the father of Juliana, and other dau's. Also he doesn't include William's brothers, Richard and Oswald.

Further to all that, James says Ernald b.1214, had 2 other sons
    1. Peter de Mollesly b 1238,
    2. Ivo de Walton b abt 1240.

Oswald seemed sure there was only one son, William, so
    I left out the others in the first list I did.
    I then found another mention of Richard - so would much value any light at all you may shed on this or any suggestions.

Somewhere along the line, earlier, there should have been a Robert M, who had a burghage in Manchester.
    He was an ancestor of Jenkyn de M, who lived in the chapelry in Didsbury, Manch in 1465 at Hough End.

It's a VERY confusing, working between the two records and trying to cope with their omissions and contradictions!

According to Web data there was a Sir John Moseley, living in Leicester in the time of King John.
    Also there is a mention of John Mosley {correct spelling, apparently, long before the name changed} who was b about 1395 and became the Prior of St John Hospice in Nottingham in 1427.
    The TIME TEAM programme that I really like, not showing now though, talked about a Roger Moseley giving land to the monks at Fountains Abbey, and he built a Hall abt 6
    miles away, I think. Not much left of it now.
    There doesn't seem to be much written about the Yorks Mosleys.
    There are more myteries we can talk of later if you like!

So here we have odd pieces from many a jigsaw.
    Is it hopeless?
    NO! To my friends at B-G anything is possible! (and every tiny suggestion helps)
    Many thanks
    esdel

Peter_uk_can

Hi Esdel. We have similar problems in our own research. There are some historical writings, several published in Archives Canada, to which we don't subscribe. Because they were written some 50 years after the events, they are the opinion of the writer, based on the information available at the time. We also found some subtle differences in the way that the author quoted actual documents. These quotations have been used and modified over the years.

Some research work done in the 1920's involved transcriptions from original journals. When an American University discovered the original journals in an archive they found a significanat number of words, and sentences had been deleted or changed because it dealt with matters that the transcriber felt were abhorent. The University have worked for years to uncover the original work that was "blacked" out with black ink.
    They take care to highlight their version of the vandalised words.

We deal with all of this by including examples of the original text, and adding the various interpretations. We express our own opinion and give the reasons why. This enables both ourselves and anyone who follows to see the whole picture.