Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Al et al

Default Benson, Albert/George

I am looking for kith and kin of Albert Benson (b.1874, Leominster), who married Mary Ann Reynolds. His marriage certificate says his father was George benson. However, Albert does not turn up on any census until 1901, when he is newly married and has 1 son.
    I beleive he has a brother called Frederick and one called James.
    maybe sisters: Fanny and Annie.
    Many thanks, Alisan

Mutley

Alison, could you just confirm the census registration you have for 1901?

I can see an Albert b. 1874 in Leominster, married to a Mary Ann and living in Hope Under Dinmore but they have three children, Albert P, Gladys and Leonard.

Mutley

Also what is the occupation of George?

There is a George J Benson born about 1831 in Leominster he is married to Hannah and they have children, George James 1855, Thomas W 1858 and Hannah 1860. George senior is a Cordwainer.
    TNA census of 1861 RG9/1831/89/6

Sadly the mother Hannah seems to die as there is a death registered in Leominster for a Hannah at about 38 years old in Dec 1867.

In 1871 Dad is with children George James (a bricklayers apprentice), Fanny age 8 and William age 13.
    TNA census of 1871 RG10/2715/21/5

Could this be Albert's father and grandfather?

Al et al

Default Albert benson

You guys are wonderful!

Yes, the census you show for him and his family for 1901 is correct. My mistake in saying he has 1 child.

Albert's marriage certificate says his father was a cordwainer.

I have that George married to Hannah Boulds but can't tie in with hard evidence, other than his occupation. And George Jnr here a bricklayer's apprentice, rather than shoemaker.

I have this in the 1881 census:
    James G. BENSON Head 50 Leominster, HRD Shoe Maker (b abt 1831)
    Georgina BENSON Wife 50 Lewes, Sussex
    Frederick BENSON Son 8 (b.1873) Leominster, Hereford Scholar

It is possible, if George married a Georgina (after Hannah died), that George J became called James G(eorge?), tho' one would presume the wife would be the one to use her 2nd name?
    The son, Frederick, would have been born 1 year before Albert. I know he had a brother called Frederick from his newspaper obit.
    Again, no hard evidence.

I did not want to mention these possibilities in the previous posting lest I bias you.

Thanks a mill, Alisan

Mutley

Free BMD has a marriage registered in Sep 1852 for George James Benson and Hannah Brewer Boulds at Leominster. 6a/807
    You can order this certificate to find their father's names.

The children are also there.
    George James in Sept 1854
    Thomas William in June 1857 (probably the William in the 1871 census)
    Hannah in June 1860
    Fanny in Sept 1862
    There is also an Elizabeth in March 1866 (before Hannah's death) She is not with Dad and siblings in 1871 so may have died or be with other family members.
    One of these certificates would confirm Hannah's maiden name.

There are no more births registered in Leominster until 1893 a gap of nearly 30 years before the registration of Albert's chldren start.

Mutley

This does not help us find your Albert though

George Senior must have moved away from Leominster after the death of Hannah in 1867.
    There is a birth registered for a
    Frederick William Benson in March 1873 in W. Bromwich
    but not for any of the others you mentioned, Albert, James, Fanny or Annie.

The only marriage I can see for the census you found is in Sep 1880 of James George Benson is to Georgina Smith and is in Liverpool.

I will have another look at the census for more clues.

Mutley

In 1891 there are James G Benson a widower and a Shoemaker born in Leominster in about 1831 living as a boarder in Bootle. With him is Frederick Benson born about 1872 in Leominster, he is a labourer.
    RG12/2973/87/34 (Crown Copyright. TNA)

Funnily enough, the wife in the household is Fanny Biggs, she just happens to have been born in Leominster in about 1863. Coincidence?

That seems to be Frederick sorted, looks like he is married to a Florence in 1901. But still no sign of Albert.

Mutley

There is a public tree on Ancestry with a George Benson, cordwainer married to a Hannah Gregg. They have children listed as George James II 1855, Thomas W 1858 - 1867, William 1858 - 1893, Hannah 1860 and Fanny 1864 all Leominster.

Still no mention of Albert.

Al et al

Default The Story so far

Thanks, Mutley - glad you don't have Dastardley alongside!

Your liverpool info coincides - and elaborates on - with what I got yesterday.
    I did have a problem with two guys who seemed to be the same, though diff names!
    George J Benson in 1891 is a lodger in liverpool and works as a Bill Poster
    James J Benson in 1901 is a Bill Poster for Auctioneer.
    They seem the same guy.

I guess the lack of birth records explains how Albert slipped the net - but not how he slipped the censuses! I am so sure he is Frederick's brother. But how can one be certain without some strand?!

I tried to look at the public tree you mentioned but Ancestry always wants one to to be a member before it allows access so I could not look. Am sure they would be related, though.

Thanks so much, al

Al et al

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    This does not help us find your Albert though

There is a birth registered for a
    Frederick William Benson in March 1873 in W. Bromwich
    but not for any of the others you mentioned, Albert, James, Fanny or Annie.
    If George's George james did get called james, and his wife was annie, and his sister was fanny, they would be 1/2 siblings (annie = sibling-in-law!) ...
    and frederick his full brother ... provided albert IS the son of George and georgina!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast