+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Famous for offering help & advice
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Wikepedia (not always reliable) says of Robert Gray, Bishop of Bristol "Soon after 1790 he was presented to the vicarage of Faringdon, Berkshire"
    I mentioned the date above:
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    The earliest one mentioned is Vicar of Faringdon, Berks, which was then in the Diocese of Salisbury; the Clergy Database gives the date of his appointment as 3 Mar 1794.
    Looking at this again, it seems the Clergy Database has multiple entries for him and hasn't linked them all together. There are separate entries for him as Vicar of Faringdon and as Bishop of Bristol, and there are several other entries for a Robert Gray in that period which may or may not be the same person.

To see them all I went to http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp
    and in the Basic Search put in Gray, Robert with the date range 1760-1840 (nothing for Diocese or Location), and this gave 8 results.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,040 Posts

I think this is the baptism of Charles Gray, co-founder of the Architectural Ass.
    I don't have time just now to go into detail, but I believe the Charles Gray, architect, is NOT the son of William Gray and his wife Eleanor but son of a James Gray, florist. If I'm correct, it is doubtful he fits into your close ancestry.
    Alma

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,040 Posts

Ancestry has the will of Robert Gray, father of the Bishop of Bristol. Probate 1789

"England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858"

He mentions his wife, Ann; five children Sarah; Ann; Robert and William plus one whose name I cannot decipher (maybe Polly). Also mentioned is his brother Charles. Robert Gray, his son, inherited two thousand pounds, a considerable amount of money in 1789. It is too much of a strain for my old eyes to transcribe any more. You can read it yourself on Ancestry.

Memorials for a few of the family
    https://www.
    findagrave.com/memorial/27747770

There's a lot of info about this family, if you don't have subscriptions to Ancestry and FMP you should be able to get access at your local library. Also, a Google search will find some information.
    Alma

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2