Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SUSAN H.

Default FINDING G. GRANDFATHERS BIRTHDAY

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions, will go through them, I know my G. Grandfather had a son Alfred Henry Harlow, born 1869. My Grandfather was Walter he served in the Boer War and I know he had an Uncle Walter, he mentions him in a letter I have sent from South Africa around 1901, he was then in Bournemouth but can't locate him either.

v.wells

Thought I would mention that sometimes the birth registration doesn't include a middle name and sometimes that only comes to light when the person marries or dies. I have had 4 from the same family this week pull that stunt on me - I would have appreciated them telling me before I hunted the wee hours for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUSAN H. View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions, will go through them, I know my G. Grandfather had a son Alfred Henry Harlow, born 1869. My Grandfather was Walter he served in the Boer War and I know he had an Uncle Walter, he mentions him in a letter I have sent from South Africa around 1901, he was then in Bournemouth but can't locate him either.
    The last I see of Walter Harold birth reg Dec 1/4 1880 on Freebmd is in the 1891 census with his parents Alfred and Maria. I searched on both ancestry and FMP and the only thing I found was the following on the National Roll of the Great War on FMP. (In my own words)

Walter H Harlow was a rifleman in the Rifle brigade and a private in the Labour Corps.
    He joined up in 1917 doing his training at the Isle of Sheppey and other stations then was sent to France. He took part in the Battle of Passcheudaele and other important engagements in the critical stages of Retreat and Advance in 1918. He returned home and was demobbed in 1919. He was awarded the General Service and Victory medals.
    55 Commercial Road Peckham is the address given at the bottom of this entry.

Whether this is your man or not I don't know but can't hurt to keep it in the "maybe" folder.
    I haven't been giving the full details of the census records I have found so if you can't access the census records just say so and I will give you the full details.
    I have George Ernest in both 1901 and 1911.
    Have just noticed that Maria A - dau in 1911 is the owner of an employment agency. Her sister Edith Maude is a pianoforte teacher.
    All census records held by TNA, Crown Copyright

Hi v.wells

Darn families - who needs 'em! I note your observation. So far only got Albert Hill Harlow on his marriage cert. Do you have a death certificate for him SUSAN H? Or for Maria? If he was the informant for Maria's death he may have used the middle name Hill on it but unless his children were aware of it it may not be on his (Arthur's) death certificate. Talk about clutching at straws.
    Christina

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post

Hi v.wells

Darn families - who needs 'em! I note your observation. So far only got Albert Hill Harlow on his marriage cert. Do you have a death certificate for him SUSAN H? Or for Maria? If he was the informant for Maria's death he may have used the middle name Hill on it but unless his children were aware of it it may not be on his (Arthur's) death certificate. Talk about clutching at straws.
    Christina
    The birth dates are indexed in the death records from partway though 1968. So by using the actual birthdate and searching with that, plus first or surname only, I was able to find the actual full name.

Hopefully one day soon the death indexes from 1916-1983 will be digitized!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12