Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ewan

Default National Burial Index Lookup

Is there anyone that has access please to the National Burial Index? I am looking for the burial of a Lionel H Cox who died 1 November 1883, Bangor.

Many thanks
    Ewan

Reputation beyond repute

But the NBI coverage map doesn't show Bangor as being included in the NBI.

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    But the NBI coverage map doesn't show Bangor as being included in the NBI.
    Okay thanks Peter, I will have to see if the burial records from that area can be searched.

Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Ewan,
    After having failed to find a death registration I suddenly had a horrid feeling that you might have been talking about Bangor in Northern Ireland, so I thought I'd double-check the full GRO Index. Poor little mite to have had his name misspelt in the Index, which was why I never found him on FreeBMD. Linoel indeed.
    But of course, it is Bangor in Wales you're looking at. However, remember that the Bangor referred to in the GRO Index is the registration district which may or may not mean that Lionel was buried in Bangor town itself. He could equally have been buried in any of the places in the district.
    Thanks to daughter Maude, I have finally found the family in 1891, living in Brighton, RG12/813 folio 28 page 14 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright) with wife Ellen amazingly transformed into wife Fanny.
    I had hoped that they might still be living in the Bangor area in 1891 which could have given you a clue as to which town to search for the burial, but no such luck.
    I did check the burial records on FMP, but no Lionel Cox anywhere in 1883.
    From what I can see you need Gwynedd Family History Society. They have burial indexes, but I haven't checked which places the indexes cover. The indexes are sold on fiche, but if you don't have access to a fiche reader, the Society may do a look-up for a small donation.
    The alternative is to buy the death certificate, and then hope that Lionel is buried in the town in which the death took place so that hopefully you don't have to search too many PRs.
    Pam

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Ewan,
    After having failed to find a death registration I suddenly had a horrid feeling that you might have been talking about Bangor in Northern Ireland, so I thought I'd double-check the full GRO Index. Poor little mite to have had his name misspelt in the Index, which was why I never found him on FreeBMD. Linoel indeed.
    But of course, it is Bangor in Wales you're looking at. However, remember that the Bangor referred to in the GRO Index is the registration district which may or may not mean that Lionel was buried in Bangor town itself. He could equally have been buried in any of the places in the district.
    Thanks to daughter Maude, I have finally found the family in 1891, living in Brighton, RG12/813 folio 28 page 14 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright) with wife Ellen amazingly transformed into wife Fanny.
    I had hoped that they might still be living in the Bangor area in 1891 which could have given you a clue as to which town to search for the burial, but no such luck.
    I did check the burial records on FMP, but no Lionel Cox anywhere in 1883.
    From what I can see you need Gwynedd Family History Society. They have burial indexes, but I haven't checked which places the indexes cover. The indexes are sold on fiche, but if you don't have access to a fiche reader, the Society may do a look-up for a small donation.
    The alternative is to buy the death certificate, and then hope that Lionel is buried in the town in which the death took place so that hopefully you don't have to search too many PRs.
    Pam
    Hello Pam thanks for your interest and reply.

Even though, obviously, I never knew little Lionel (as I affectionately I call him, he had measles when he died) I do feel sad for him.

Lionel actually died at Garth Bangor, in 1881 his family were living in Plymouth and then, as you mention, Brighton for the 1891 census. I am trying to find out whether the family lived in Wales or was it just dad that went to Bangor and took Lionel (mum was 7 months pregnant at the time). If the family stayed in Plymouth, perhaps he was buried nearer there, I don't know (did relatives have their family buried in totally different places to where they died in those days, I know people do now). I was hoping the national burial index may have shown him being buried somewhere.

Dad was living on the Isle of Man for the 1901 census on his own, did he take a 'shine' to the Isle of Man whilst he was in North Wales, as there is no family connection to Wales whatsoever. Why did he go to North Wales, there are so many questions, that I don't think can be answered.

I did try to contact the Gwynedd Family History Society but there appeared to be a 'broken link' to send an email to them.

Many thanks
    Ewan

pattenwalsh

To contact the Gwynedd by e mail try the following [email protected]
    This is their latest e mail address

Starting to feel at home

Hi Ewan,
    This should get you on to the Gwynedd FHS page:
    gwyneddfhs.org/ (put www. in front)
    then click on the "Please click here to sign our guestbook" where you can leave a message after signing in.
    Failing that / in addition you might look at
    www. welshgenealogy.net/
    whose compiler is a dab hand on the Bangor area.
    Good luck,
    Godo

ewan

Default Historial Directories Help Required

Does anyone have access to historical directories that are not online (or help by another pair of eyes at the ones that are online). I have been quite successful finding my great granddad in these directories eg Brighton, Plymouth and the Isle of Man, and I have since discovered that his child died in Caernarvonshire and would liked to determine if possible how long he was in the area for, by means of these directories.

William Henry Cox, normally comes under the occupation of Electro Plater, Gilder, Plater, Silvermith or Jeweller. Possibly between 1881 and 1891.

Any leads to finding him in Wales greatly welcomed.

thank you
    Ewan

Jan1954

Hello Ewan,

I do not know which years that you are interested in, but this is available from Parish Chest and includes Caernarvonshire.

Geoffers

Anyone answering the query concerning directories, please be aware that a duplicate (and now closed) thread exists here which contains some additional detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast