BMcAleer

Default Dr. Thomas Edward BOWKETT Of Poplar

Hello, I am researching my GGGG uncle Thomas Edward BOWKETT, who was born 1805 at Bermondsey, and died 1874 at Poplar. He was a doctor at the Poplar Hospital for Accidents and had a practice at 2 Folkstone Terrace, East India Dock Road. He married Jane WATKINSON in 1834 and had 12 children, including a son Thomas Edward who was also a doctor. He was active in Chartism and supported the working class. I have an article by Stanley Newens, "Thomas Edward Bowkett: Nineteenth Century Pioneer of the Working Class Movement in East London," History Worshop, no. 9. (Spring 1980) p. 143-148, which provides good information about him, and I have had luck finding many family members in the parish registers.
    His daughters were expected to work. His daughter Ada became a nurse, and four daughters became artists: Jane Maria Bowkett, Eliza, Leila, and Jessie.
    After his sister Maria Sarah (Bowkett) Warner died about 1853, his niece Mary Sharp Warner (my GG Grandmother) lived with him briefly, before immigrating to Boston, Mass. He seems to have influenced her; in Boston, she also worked, and had her own dry goods business, even though she had 11 children and her husband had a successful plumbing business.
    He had many descendants, and I would like to connect if there are any cousins out there. Also, please tell me what interesting sources are available, and which are available remotely.
    Thanks, Beth, Brookline, Massachusetts, USA

stuarted

Default Dr. Thomas E. Bowkett

Hello Beth,

Dr. Thomas Edward Bowkett was my GGGfather and his oldest daughter Jane Maria was my GGmother. I have quite a bit of information on her, but not much on Dr. Bowkett. Of his parents, I only have their names (William Bowkett and Elizabeth), but no dates or further info. The same applies for his wife Jane Watkinson.

Anyway, please let me know, what you need and what you have. Hopefully, I can help.

Merry Christmas,

Eckhard D. Stuart

BMcAleer

Default Bowkett family

Merry Christmas, Eckhard,
    How nice to meet a cousin on Christmas day! Jane Maria (Bowkett) Stuart was the first cousin of Mary Sharp (Warner) Buckley, my gg grandmother. William and Ann Bowkett are our common ancestors.

It's an interesting family. I have the book "Painting Women: Victorian women artists," by Deborah Cherry, borrowed from the library. Your gg grandmother was the best artist of the Bowkett family, and she had sisters who painted. Dr. Thomas E. Bowkett, Sr. was politically active, and I was able to find published materials about him, which I am glad to share. I have viewed the parish microfilms of St. Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, Surrey, and Saint John Horselydown, where Thomas Bowkett and his sister Maria Sarah Bowkett and 5 other siblings were baptized. I found death records of William and Ann Bowkett both at Russell St., St. john Horsleydown, which are probably his parents. William Bowkett was a cooper. Since we are both from the states, it will be harder to track them, but not impossible.

I'm most interested in finding the death or burial of my ancestor Maria Sarah(Bowkett) Warner who died about 1853, but I am interested the whole family. I will correspond with you privately.
    Thank you, Beth

BMcAleer

Default William and Elizabeth Bowkett

Excuse me, I made an error. William and Elizabeth Bowkett are our ancestors.
    I'm not positive about Elizabeth's maiden name, which is not mentioned in the baptisms of their children. Elizabeth Wilkins is a possibility.

TrinityDayCare

Hello all,

I'm a volunteer at a day care centre for the elderly, and I found your webpage whilst searching for a great, great grandmother of one of our clients; It's possible that the William and Ann Bowkett mentioned above are the same people as I am looking for. The lady I am trying to find out on behalf of is a great, great grand daughter of Ann Bowkett, her maiden name was Smith. She currently lives in Bristol, but was born in Wrexall. She would appreciate knowing any information you may have on William and Ann Bowkett. I have provided the following details, although the dates may be considerably off due to elderly memories, and am trying to find where Ann Bowkett is buried in particular...

Ann Bowkett, Born around 1837 in Gloucestershire, UK
    Lived at Pool Hill around 1911
    Died in 1921 at age 85, in Newant, Gloucestershire.

William Bowkett, husband of the above, born 1829 in Pauntley Gloucester.
    Died in 1883.

Emily Bowkett, daughter from above marriage, born around 1870.
    Thomas Bowkett, son of the above, born around 1872.
    Walter Bowkett, son of the above, born around 1871.

William Bowkett, grandson, born around 1909
    Last edited by Jan1954; 23-02-2010 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Details of living person removed

TrinityDayCare

After I typed the above, I managed to find the correct William and Ann for my client;

rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=stevemilton&id=I1945753468

She was somewhat off with the dates as you will see; if anyone has details of this family tree, I would appreciate it. Thank you!
    Last edited by Jan1954; 23-02-2010 at 1:33 PM. Reason: Link to Rootsweb/Ancestry removed

BMcAleer

Default William Bowkett

My ancestors were William and ELIZABETH Bowkett who lived in Surrey, and were born about 1771. They are not the couple you are looking for. William was a cooper and had 7 children baptized at Bermondsey and St. John Horsleydown, Southwark, most of whom died young. I don't have a lot of information, there were 3 men named William Bowkett married about the same time to women named Elizabeth, too early for the person you are looking for. The church baptisms are my main source of information.
    I said Ann by mistake, and for some reason, I keep thinking of Ann Bowkett. Good luck, I hope you can help your friend.

BMcAleer

Quote Originally Posted by stuarted View Post
    Hello Beth,

Dr. Thomas Edward Bowkett was my GGGfather and his oldest daughter Jane Maria was my GGmother. I have quite a bit of information on her, but not much on Dr. Bowkett. Of his parents, I only have their names (William Bowkett and Elizabeth), but no dates or further info. The same applies for his wife Jane Watkinson.

Merry Christmas,

Eckhard D. Stuart

I am pleased to see that my cousin Eckhard D. Stuart is a genetic match to myself and my brother. We met in this Forum, Christmas 2009. Our mutual ancestor is William Bowkett, cooper of Surrey, 1771-1837.

I have not been using Brit-Gen much recently, since most of my heritage is Yankee, but I need to come back more often to solve my other mysteries.
    Beth McAleer

Hello Beth and thank you for coming back to the forum to update us on your research.

You know where we are when you decide it is time to ask for help with your mysteries. We also know where you are when someone needs help with their US research.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs