Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Further to my last one page 1 of this thread, I've had a little dig......

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilp
    I do have the babtism cert for my great grandmother Louisa and her marriage cert. The trouble I am really having is with her father and mother James and Mary Ann. I don't have their dates of birth neither do I have Mary Ann's maiden name - which is what I really need. All I have is the info above and that James was serving in the 66th regiment.
    So. The Index to Army marriages shows

PREECE, Charles Henry - Nowahera, Year 1889 Page 111
    JOHNSTON, Louisa Elizabeth K - Nowahera, Year 1889 Page 111

Elizabeth having that third initial helps in identifying the birth in the Regimental indexes:

1872 JOHNSTON, Louisa E K - Haidarabad
    Father's regt 66th Volume 965 Page 9

Do double check the entry to confirm that I have the correct one.

You can apply for a copy of the certificate via the GRO (link previously given), using the overseas certificates section.

Louisa's birth certificate will provide father's name, mother's name and mother's maiden name.

A couple of other entries relate to JOHNSTON births in the regimental registers and may relate to siblings of Louisa:
    1863 James H JOHNSTON born in Colchester
    1876 Ellen E JOHNSTON born in Poona

cyrilp

That's exactly as I have it. The problem I have is that Louisas mothers maiden name is not given - I understand this was quite common back then. It's stated as Mary Ann Johnston(e). Sometimes the "e" is used and sometimes not. I have the fathers regiment also as 66th but can't locate any service records or dates and place of birth for him.

It's louisa's mothers maiden name that is causing the block - without this and further info about James it's going to be difficult to go back I think.

I will check out the other Johnstones you mention as possible siblings.

thanks for your efforts
    Cyril

Geoffers

That's exactly as I have it. The problem I have is that Louisas mothers maiden name is not given
    This detail is from an index only - you use the reference on the index to apply for a copy of the birth certificate.

The birth certificate should record, date and place born, name, father's name and occuaption and mother's name and maiden name.

The problem I have is that Louisas mothers maiden name is not given - I understand this was quite common back then
    Not in birth certificates it is not.

You mentioned having a record of the baptism (which will not record the mother's maiden name). Are you saying that you have a copy of the birth certificate as well and that the mother's maiden name is not recorded on that?

cyrilp

Sorry my fault - it is the baptism I have.

I have requested the birth cert from GRO - hopefully correctly by qouting the ref on the Army births and baptisms register.

Lets see what I get.

Thanks again

Cyril

Geoffers

Sorry my fault - it is the baptism I have.
    Phew!

I have requested the birth cert from GRO - hopefully correctly by qouting the ref on the Army births and baptisms register.
    Excellent. That should give you his mum's maiden name and a start on looking for further information.

Let us know how you get on.

cyrilp

Well the certificates arrived and you were correct Geoffers in that Elle E Johnston was a sibling of Louisa as was James H.

First problem for the birth certificates for Louisa and Ellen is that they still don't give the mothers maiden name. The certificates are via the army register and give the parents names as James and Rachel Johnston. So no real help there. Fortunateley, James H was born in Colchester and received a proper birth certificate which does give the maiden name as Rachel Sebborn.

Managed to get a little further with this info but have since learned that there are a number of variations in the name of Sebborn including Seaborn. Seaborne etc,etc. So still a long way to go.

As for the father James Johnston finding his year and place of birth is also proving very difficult and no real progress made.

Geoffers

Well the certificates arrived and you were correct Geoffers in that Elle E Johnston was a sibling of Louisa as was James H.

First problem for the birth certificates for Louisa and Ellen is that they still don't give the mothers maiden name.
    Well there's a surprise, I've ordered 15 certificates for military births in India and all have the mother's maiden name.

The certificates are via the army register and give the parents names as James and Rachel Johnston. So no real help there. Fortunateley, James H was born in Colchester and received a proper birth certificate which does give the maiden name as Rachel Sebborn
    Phew, that's a relief. Though as you mention..........

there are a number of variations in the name of Sebborn including Seaborn. Seaborne etc,etc.
    Plus others, maybe including SIBBORN?

As for the father James Johnston finding his year and place of birth is also proving very difficult and no real progress made.
    In your shoes, I would there begin by trying to locate his army serice record at TNA.

cyrilp

Thanks Geoffers may sound totally dumb but how do you search the TNA? I have tried a few times but get zero results but I think I may be doind something wrong but will try again now I have more info.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilp View Post
    Thanks Geoffers may sound totally dumb but how do you search the TNA?
    For the fullest advice, just follow the "Find out about your military history" link from the National Archives home page

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

You are unlikely to find your man's records indexed by name. You can zero in on where the records should be by using the catalogue but then you have to get on your bike and search in person.

They are supposed to be going on line eventually but who knows when that might be.

Geoffers

See Peter's reply, above

Thanks Geoffers may sound totally dumb but how do you search the TNA? I have tried a few times but get zero results but I think I may be doind something wrong but will try again now I have more info.
    At the moment you will need to visit TNA. As well as TNA advice, there is this thread to assist in searching the catalogue for files which may be relevant - How to find some British Army Records

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12