Narelle

Default SHORE/SHAW and HILL

Hello All,
    I have recently posted this message to the Co. Mayo thread but have since found that my GGrandmother was born in Queens Co. Mayo which is now called Laois. I hope you will forgive my ignorance and accept this duplicate posting here:

My GGgrandmother Frances Matilda SHORE (sometimes Shaw) was born in Queens Co. Mayo in c.1839. Her parents were John SHORE and Sarah HILL. I am guessing these names are as common as Smith and Jones but am hoping that luck may be running my way anyhow.

Frances came to Australia c. 1853 but I have yet to find any passenger lists with her on it.
    Frances had a brother John who also came out to Australia during the gold rush period of 1850's. He was often in league with Frances' husband Olaf BLADIN (who had a reputation for deserting her and her 7 children among other things) as they often headed for the goldfields with the greatest of intentions of making it rich. Like so many hopefuls they were unsuccessful.

I know a huge amount about Frances' husband (being a rouge a cad and a bigamist often gets you in the press) but not much about Frances. My cousin and I are in awe of Frances strength and tenacity to endure living in this situation and then having the heartbreaking job of placing her children in industrial schools until she became financially independent as a dairywoman.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Narelle

Procat

Hi All,

This is the thread that Narelle was referring to.

I will lock this thread to prevent any duplication of effort. If you can assist Narelle please do so on the linked thread.