johnfp

Default Edmonton Census Info

Thanks to jfremont I have confirmed hearsay of my family living in Canada and cleared up an anomaly. Now I need some helpful person to tell me how to get at the 1901 and later Census for Edmonton, Alberta. Please. I got lost with an index search. John.

cntrygrl

Hi johnfp,

1901 and 1911 census available at www.automatedgenealogy.com
    I can search the 1916 census if you'd like to provide more info.

cg

johnfp

Thanks for your offer, but my man Thomas Baird Chapman, was serving in WW1 1914-1918. John.

v.wells

John, have you tried this site? It might have something. www.genealogysearch.org/canada/alberta.html

v.wells

www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/links.html has Edmonton Cemetery info and a lot of other stuff.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/links.html has Edmonton Cemetery info and a lot of other stuff.
    John,

Have you been on the Archives of Canada site www.collectionscanada.gc.ca ? On that you can look up info about relatives who served in the First World War. There is a Thomas Baird Chapman born March 21 1891 Kirkcaldy Scotland. Is he yours? you can either go on and make of a copy of the Attestation paper or if you like I will copy and send to you. It is also possible to get there entire service record and that is explained on the website how to do it. Many years ago my mother send for my grandfather's and very interesting it was. In regards to the census they to are at this website but most are not searchable by name. But if this is the right Thomas I could try looking on Ancestry for you.

Pepperpot

cntrygrl

Do you have the 1919 passenger list on the Tunisian? Returning to Montreal from Liverpool is Lieut Thomas Baird Chapman, gives residence as Star Cash Grocery, Namayo Ave, Edmonton. Matches the attestation paper that pepperpot found where he's a grocer in Edmonton.

Brick wall demolition expert!

On the same 25 Aug 1919 Tunisian passenger list, different page, is Alice Chapman, 21, English, "with husband", and infant Winifred going to Edmonton, Alberta.

Adele

johnfp

Thank you all. Lots to look at. This IS my man and thanks to pepperpot, the information I got from his Attestation papers I can now find his family in Scotland.
    I will now try to get his service record and have got the birth certificate of Wynifred in England.
    Because of the cost of subscriptions to passenger list sources. For only two journeys, the one in 1919 and the initial journey in 1908-1912? they will have to wait. Thanks again for your very helpful advice. John.