Thread: Amazing book!!

Hugh Thompson

Default Amazing book!!

I found these two books at the Internet Archives and am not too sure if I should post this in the USA, West Indies, or useful Books forums, the first one will be handy for anyone with roots in Barbados, but the second one is really something!! the title will give you some idea, well worth a look, there is so much in info, if you've lost someone in the 1600's they could be in this book.
    Hugh.

"The monumental inscriptions in the churches and churchyards of the island of Barbados, British West Indies"

The original lists of persons of quality; emigrants; religious exiles; political rebels; serving men sold for a term of years; apprentices; children stolen; maidens pressed; and others who went from Great Britain to the American plantations 1600-1700 (1874)

Hugh Thompson

The section on parish registers starting on page 418 is interesting as it gives all the land owners in the Barbados parishes along with how many free servants, owned servants and slaves they had.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    The section on parish registers starting on page 418 is interesting as it gives all the land owners in the Barbados parishes along with how many free servants, owned servants and slaves they had.
    Hugh.....is the title of this one "Monumental Inscriptions of the British West Indies"??? By Lawrence Archer?? I have that one downloaded, but lost the links due to a computer reformat. I had a look at page 418 and it is Barbados, so wondering if it is this one. If so, it is an absolute treasure. My husband's ancestors were from Jamaica and found many of them in there. This book is also on microfilm at the LDS.

I sent a PM to Finbar to ask the above and also would love to get a link to it (by private message....no links allowed, I am afraid )

Thanks in advance......

Hugh Thompson

Hello Heather, this one is "The monumental inscriptions in the churches and churchyards of the island of Barbados" I think I know the one you mean and it would be a help to me as well as I have some ancestors that lived and married (I think) in Barbados (British Army) at least I know that my GG Grandmother Mary Fitzgerald was born there.
    I'll see if I can find the one you're after.
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

Here it is, link below.
    Hugh.

Monumental inscriptions of the British West Indies from the earliest date .. - Lawrence-Archer

https://www.archive.org/details/cu31924021197011

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Here it is, link below.
    Hugh.

Monumental inscriptions of the British West Indies from the earliest date .. - Lawrence-Archer

https://www.archive.org/details/cu31924021197011
    THAT'S IT!! Thank you. I remembered it was a free download from (I thought) a University library in the US. His MI book is phenomenal due in large part to the loss of tombstones in Jamaica. I believe he wrote that around 1875 and now it is next to impossible to go to cemeteries, etc. in Jamaica....way too dangerous these days.

Do you know of Ernest Wiltshire? He is researching Barbados and has an amazing collection. Lives here in Canada, but is on a Caribbean List I belong to. He quite probably has some links for you as well. That List is where I got the above link. I will now be able to poke thru it.

Thanks so much!!!!