jakesjag

Default How to determine family home Nantmel

While we were living in England, we visited area where my family, the Eatons, was from in Wales - Radnorshire County, Nantmel. There is quite a bit written on the family because they moved to the America in 1638, they started a Baptist church. We visited the Baptist chapel they were members of prior to leaving. The church secretary told us that she understood the Eatons lived in this particular house. We drove up close to it but I did not feel comfortable going up to the house. Another Eaton relative so wants to know if this is the house they lived at.

Is there anyway I could find out?

There was a sign at the foot of the drive to the house that said Gilfach.

Would I need to hire someone?
    Thanks

Thomasin

Try Googling Gilfach Nantmel. There are several potentially interesting entries.

Thomasin

jakesjag

Thank you Thomasin. I have used google but had not tried Gilfach Nantmel together. That did bring me some new sites.
    One thing that is bit confusing is there is a nature preserve that has a long house called Gilfach. Looking at area on map, it does not look close to the house we visited.

I also found some people that listed Gilfach Nantmel as home of their ancestor. I have written to them.

I think I almost need someone in the area to take my research to next level. I did find some information at the Powys records office that might be helpful. I am not sure it is something they could copy and send.

Default Quite an old post but hope to contact you

It looks as if you and I are researching the same ancestor. I am leaving for Wales in August and have time booked at Powys Archive and also plan to visit the Welsh National Archive and possibly Pembrookshire (they may have Milford Haven dock records) and Hereford (Powys indicates some records might be "old Radnor" and they are located in Hereford).

I would like to share email with you regarding what you found while in Wales at Powys so I'm not duplicating work and will share whatever I can with you to assist your search.

If this board does not show you my email address you can send something to me at alana at rottler dot org. Please put "Eaton Genealogy Research" in the subject so if it tries to route it to my spam filter I can get it!

Hope this finds you!