Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McPhersons

DRosebud

Hello Maryq,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but work deadlines!!! I also needed to familarize myself with the areas of Scotland you are searching having only searched Aryshire for my ancestors. Looking at a map of Counties Pre-1890, to locate the places, then searching my usual sites, I have had no luck.

Am suggesting you try to contact a society for further advice and here is the pathway:

GENUKI Scotland > Argyllshire > Information related to all of Arygllshire > Societies
    Then just follow on to the links for the Highland Family History Society and Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society.

Same suggestion for Buteshire.

Short of going through the Argyll parish and probate records to search for birth of John, I do not know what else to suggest. Perhaps someone will have another idea.

Best,

Deborah

JAP1

Hello again maryq,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you.

Some comments:

1. Records prior to Statutory Registration (which began in 1855 in Scotland) can be very patchy. So, sad to say, it might well be that you will never find records of the birth/baptism of John MCPHERSON or the birth/baptism of Mary BLACK.

2. Indeed, you are pretty lucky to have found the 1812 marriage of John & Mary on ScotlandsPeople! You say that you cannot decipher some words on the entry in the parish register. Are you able to post the relevant section here on B-G so we can all try? If you can't manage this, give a yell and I'll PM you my email address and you can forward it to me and I'll try.

3. You are also lucky to have found John & Mary in the 1851 census.

4. Ann was often used as a variant for Agnes. Nancy was another variant for Agnes.

5. You commented on the age difference of John & Mary. Have you downloaded the actual census image from SP? I see that Ancestry's transcription lists John as 60 and Mary as 74 but it would be good to see the image.

6. If you are really lucky, one or both of John & Mary will have survived into the time of Statutory Registration. You would then be able to get the death certificate - and Scottish death certificates usually have a wealth of information. I had a look on SP (a free search, refining the parameters) and wondered whether this might be Mary??
    Mary MCPHERSON, other surname BLACK, died 1855, age 75, Hutchesontown. Have you viewed that record?

That's all for now.

If the above doesn't lead anywhere I might have a couple of other suggestions.

Best of luck,

JAP

maryq

Default McPhersons

Hello JAP1 @ others.
    I am overwhelmed that someone would use their time to assist me with my queries, and I thank you enormously.
    That surely must be Mary Black,s death you found on S.P. I could not find it there myself, so don,t know what I did wrong. I will now see what I find on her trascript.
    I am rather a novice with sending "bits" other than through email,but will give it a go, however if I don,t succeed the words I can,t work out look like "Leckhen Ashvoulig" which is where Mary lived.
    The ages I found for John @ Mary were from ancestry 1851 census. I will see if SP have something different.
    Regards. maryq.

JAP1

Hello again maryq,

Thank you for emailing the documents.

I have to admit that I've never posted scans on B-G! So I might not be any help there!

I'll sort it out tomorrow (my time). But for now I think you had the Banns/Marriage right - the writing there is very clear.

October 1812
    McPHERSON & BLACK
    John McPherson son of Donald McPherson Tenant
    in Scalpsy Butt and Mary Black Daughter of James
    Black late Tenant in Leckhen Achovulig, Booked,
    17th & Married 20 Inst

Might be Leckhin. I couldn't find the places - though spelling could be very phonetic and could depend on accents and the ear of whoever was recording the information.

Someone with local Argyll/Bute (Cowal?) knowledge might be able to help.

I'm so glad that it was the right death!! I'm always scared that I might be encouraging other people to spend their money - only to find that it is the wrong record!!

You might like to post the details of the certificate in case it helps others to help you. Does it say whether or not John was still living i.e. was Mary married or a widow? If he was still alive we can then search for his death record.

Till next time ...

JAP

JAP1

Default Mary (BLACK) MCPHERSON death

1855, Deaths in the District of Hutchesontown in the Burgh of Glasgow
    BLACK Mary
    Female
    75 years
    Born: Argyleshire, 30 years in Glasgow
    Parents: James Black, Fisherman, deceased; Catherine Black maiden name Nicol deceased
    Was married to: John McPherson Labourer
    Issue: Agnes 42, John 40, James 38, Peter 36, Daniel 35, Mary dead at 2m {?not sure of this last one}
    When died: April Fourteenth {?or Twentieth} 4hr AM {?I think}
    Where died: {?perhaps} 60 Surrey St, Glasgow

It's a very poor image. If you submit a Contact Form to ScotlandsPeople, I'm sure they will send you a better copy.

There are records of James BLACK and Catherine NICOL/MCNICOLL in the IGI. See what you find and I'll come back tomorrow.

It's great that you are tracing back further.

Regards,

JAP

maryq

Default McPhersons

Hello Jap,
    Thankyou for your help again. Youare better at reading the "old"writing than me ,and your insight and suggestions , enabling me to find Mary Blacks death has thrown new light into my research.
    I will continue searching for John McPherson,s birth @ death. It was a very common name.
    I found "Auchavoulig " Apparently it is the name of a farm in Bute.
    I feel very lucky to have got back so far. Scotland really does have excellent records, does,nt it?
    Regards Anne.

JAP1

Hello maryq,

That was clever of you finding Auchavoulig!

I guess you saw the IGI records I mentioned:
    All Kilmodan, Argyll
    *James BLACK married Kathrine MCNICOLL, 19 Feb 1771

*(Female) BLACK, bap 20 Aug 1776, parents James BLACK & Katharin MCNICOLL
    *Mary BLACK, bap 31 Jan 1779, parents James BLACK & Katharine MCNICOLL
    *Callum BLACK, bap 15 Nov 1784, parents James BLACK & Catharine MCNICOL
    *John BLACK, bap 15 Nov 1784, parents James BLACK & Catharine MCNICOL

There's a photo of the parish church of Kilmodan at Glendaruel, Argyll at:
    https://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/i...glendaruel.jpg

Cheers,

JAP

JAP1

Sorry, I missed out a couple of children!

Given the dates, these are surely the same parent though these baptisms are in Kilfinan (neighbouring parish to Kilmodan), Argyll

*John BLACK bap 12 Jul 1772, parents James BLACK & Katharine MACNICOL
    *Margaret BLACK bap 3 Apr 1774, parents James BLACK & Catherine (no surname given)

Here are websites about the Kilfinan parish church (with photos):
    drumcot.org/
    https://ogdenj.com/clsna/pages/kilfinx.htm

All the best,

JAP
    Last edited by Jan1954; 07-11-2009 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Commercial url deleted - they sell membership and accommodation

DRosebud

Well done JAP! What a charming parish church.
    Best, Deborah

maryq

Default McPhersons

Hello Jap,
    I had not found a couple of those children, so thanks for your kind help yet again. I have found on S P. the marriage of James Black @ Kathrine McNicol.
    It does not state any parents names, and I am still trying to work out their hometown. However I am so thrilled to have got all the new info. I have got,mainly due to your assistance. maryq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12