Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elgiva Gwatkin

TheWobbler

Default Elgiva Gwatkin

Hi

I am looking for my wife's aunt who emigrated to Canada in the 1950's. No one in the family has heard from her since. She was born in 1923, so it is possible that she has passed on, but any news would be great.

Simon

I couldn't quite believe this name, but found another one on the 1901 census at RG13; Piece: 4943; Folio: 49; Page: 25

There is an incoming passenger list for the one born in 1923 dated 1952, sailing on the Atlantic from Quebec. The address she was travelling to in the UK was "4 Church View, Woodfielside", wherever that is!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

v.wells

Woodfield appears to be a subdivision of Pictou, Nova Scotia.

v.wells

Red face

Soorry - read the post wrong. I have no idea where Woodfieldside in UK is.

v.wells

There is a Woodfieldside, Blackwood, Gwent

TheWobbler

Well, I'm impressed by the detective work! I can fill in a few blanks here, The Elgiva on the 1901 census was her grandmother who died in 1908. The sailing on the Atlantic was indeed to Blackwood returning to her childhood home in Woodfieldside for the second time, however she had clearly enjoyed her life in Canada and returned on the 25th of September 1952 and no one has heard from her since. The details on the ship's manifest state her last address as Canada House in London which is of no help.

Person: Elgiva GWATKIN
    Date of departure: 25 September 1952
    Port of departure: Southampton
    Destination port: Quebec
    Destination country: Canada
    Ship: ATLANTIC EXPRESS
    Last Address in UK: Canada House, London

Regards
    Simon

v.wells

FMP should cover that time frame for departures and a Canadian address may be on it. Once you have that you can search the provincial FHS or collections.ca. There may be forum members able to do a look up for you

TheWobbler

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    FMP should cover that time frame for departures and a Canadian address may be on it. Once you have that you can search the provincial FHS or collections.ca. There may be forum members able to do a look up for you
    Sorry being a bit thick here, FMP?

TheWobbler

Ah yes just realised, find my past. That is where I got the original data.

v.wells

findmypast.com a ppv site . When you get there click on passenger lists, type in your search terms and see what turns up. To look at the singular name it is a few credits or you can view the ship's manifest which is 30-40 credits. I think you can search for free once you've registered but to look at anything you need one of the packages. I would look but I am saving my credits for the 1911 census (which also can be used on FMP). Perhaps someone with a sub to FMP will look this up for you.
    Last edited by v.wells; 30-10-2009 at 4:06 PM. Reason: corrected site link

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast