Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    drowning

Default Mary Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello drowning,

How did you come by the information that Mary Elizabeth was born 1869 in Atherstone Warwick?
    I found this information on the 1881 census - her sister Ellen was born in Manchester but why they were back there I have no idea. It is a real chase finding these fellows. How wonderful you all are.
    Thanks so much.

drowning

Default Mary Elizabeth Crabtree and Arthur L Smith

This is an update on Mary Elizabeth Crabtree - finally found that she worked in Menston Yorkshire (this was the Asylum) and there she met her future husband - Arthur Lawrence Smith. They married and produced two children. 1 Lucy Smith 2 Norman Smith. Just found yesterday that Norman joined the Army in 1915 and was sent to France where 4 weeks later he was killed. Herewith
    SMITH, N Rifleman 2718 26/05/1915 18 West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom I. O. 5. RUE-PETILLON MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX. The sad thing is he was 17 when he was shot.
    When I found this I felt so miserable for his mum Mary Elizabeth Crabtree Smith.
    Now I am looking for some help with Lucy. I think she married a gentleman John Richard Riding in Leeds 1917 - in 1911 the family were living in Hillary Place Leeds and Mary's husband was the Church Caretaker of the Trinity Church which is now a Nightclub.
    At the time of Norman's death they were living in Albion Street Leeds which is right in the centre of the city. I have looked for any issue for Lucy and her husband but cannot find. I really need to find any living family so they can be informed about Norman. When I checked the British Legion website no one had claimed him, so I did.
    John Richard Riding was born in Liverpool 1885, so he was 10 years Lucy's senior. Any help on Lucy and John (if this is indeed her husband) would be so kind and thank you all for your help in the past. Watching the Parade in London 12.00 Sunday 8th Nov. So sad to see so few, but wonderful that people still care and remember.
    Thanks
    Last edited by drowning; 08-11-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: correction

I can't find any births to a riding/smith couple in Yorkshire either. Could they have moved away?
    There is this death
    Lucy Riding
    age 70, born c1896
    death registered June 1/4 1966
    Registration district - Northwich Cheshire
    Vol 10a Page 450

I can't find anything on John Richard Riding after his marriage. How do you know his middle name is Richard?

On the 1939 register on FMP just doing a basic search there is a Lucy Ridings born c 1895 living in the Horsforth registration district in the same household as Donald V and Dorothy E Godfrey. No sign of a John riding in the same household. There are 3 other people who's names are blocked possibly because they are assumed to be still living.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

drowning

Morning Christina and thank you for your help. What is the 1939 Register please?
    I think the death you have found is my Lucy - her mother died in The Wirral which is not far away as did her father so they must have relocated. Maybe they had no children - sad to think that line is also defunct. The name Godfrey means nothing at the moment but will look further into the conundrum.
    Hope the NSW weather is a lot better than the hoolie blowing here.
    Drowning

drowning

I think they moved from Leeds to Liverpool after they wed.
    Thank you again
    Drowning

Hi
    The 1939 register is on findmypast and you can do basic searches without having a subscription. The register is not included in the normal subs, credits have to be purchased which is why I just got the basic result.
    The register lists the personal details of every civilian in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It was to be used to coordinate the war effort at home and be used to issue identity cards and organise rationing and other stuff.
    But there are many people who's names are blocked because FMP says they may be living.
    I have changed the century the census was taken in both our posts (my typo)

If you look on FreeBMD for births to Riding mother's maiden name Smith 1917 to 1940 there are two births in W Derby in 1920 and 1921 and two in Liverpool reg district 1925 and 1927

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

drowning

Thank you Christina will check out the 1939 Reg.
    Kind of you to send this info.
    Best wishes
    Drowning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123