Thread: Tidesmen/Excise

missie

Default Tidesmen/Excise

Good evening, My ancestor was a tidesman in Port of London according to documents that I have when he was 34 & 44 (His 1810 & 1820 excise salary)He was not, according to Rob Cotterell apprenticed there.I also have documents when he went to Newcastle as a permit writer in 1824. according to the paperwork he was ordered to go.He arrived in Newcastle in November 1824 with his wife & 3 children where they remained until their deaths. I cannot find anything about his career other than what I have stated. Is there anywhere else that I can look to see if he was apprenticed?It was mainly to see if his father perhaps had the same occupation. Finally- a daft question -were there any clergy within the service(s)? I ask purely because I have a small tree handed down long before the advent of the PC in which it states that he was the 'black sheep of the family who was sent up North out of the way'! but it does say that he was cleric of some sort.I have found nothing to suggest it may be right in the dozen or so years that I have researched the name.(Baverstock) Thank you

stickymone

Hi Missie,

Can I presume you've already had sight of his entry papers held at the TNA?

Stickymone

Reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the references to apprenticeships. You've mentioned a couple of grades in the Excise. These were not trades that you might be apprenticed for. It's possible to find apprenticeships in the industrial civil service but that's a completely different kettle of fish.

missie

Default Re Tidesmen

Peter,Thank you for replying-I was hoping that he may have been apprenticed somewhere, as I try not to leave any stone overturned!

missie

Default Tidesman Baverstock

Hello Stickymone, Thank you for your reply,actually I have not seen his entry papers-I have had two researchers from Kew who have got the documents I mentioned from 1810-1824.This was some time ago though.

missie

Default Tidesmen/Excise

Hello everyone again,I have rechecked my notes. I do have CUST1166 entry papers.

CUST 47 Excise minute books-his appointment at Newcastle 1824
    CUST 39/249 nil
    Pay Lists for the English Excise 1705-1835-T44- have these.
    Also under T44/45 there is a William Baverstock as a coffee roasting clerk up until 1810.I suppose there will not be anything else yet .Thank you all again

daggers

'Cleric' could be a misreading or misunderstand of 'clerk'. Parsons are formally 'clerks in holy orders', and this appears in some census returns. 'Cleric' once meant a clergyman, usually CofE, but seems to have been hijacked by the media for describing non-Christian religious leaders.

missie

Default Cleric/cofe/clerk

Hello Daggers, Thank you for your reply-I would love it if the William noted in pay lists for the English Excise 1705-1835(T44)as a coffee roasting clerk could be interpreted as cofe cleric, but alas my notes show him to be under the heading of 'coffee' Never mind.