Richard Miller

Smile William Cox of Sonning, and family

Hi Folks

I am trying to establish the birth/baptism of William Cox born abt 1827. According to the 1851 Census William Cox was born in Caversham, Oxfordshire. According to the 1861 Census he was born in Sonning, Berkshire and according to the 1871 Census he was born in Sonning Oxfordshire.

According to the IGI William Cox married Sarah Ann Goodey on 24 Dec 1849 at Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire, Sarah Ann's father is given as Robert Goodey and William Cox's father is given as Thomas Cox.

Even though I have the Oxfordshire Family History Parish transcripts on CD covering the South Oxfordshire and Berkshire boarder area I have been unable to find the baptism records for the children of William Cox and Sarah Ann Goodey.

I know of 3 children, Lucy Ann Cox, born abt. 1851, Charles Cox born abt. 1862 and William Cox born abt. 1864, all of whom had their births registered in Wallingford and according to the Census records were all born in Mongwell Oxfordshire.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    Even though I have the Oxfordshire Family History Parish transcripts on CD covering the South Oxfordshire and Berkshire boarder area I have been unable to find the baptism records for the children of William Cox and Sarah Ann Goodey.
    Presumably you're aware that this area is covered by more than one CD? Maybe you will need to extend the search to other parishes?

If you can't get to the ORO yourself, you might want to consider using the Oxfordshire FHS Search Services, which I've always found super-efficient and good value. Details are on their website.

Kerrywood

coastwallker

Sonning is a tricky place as the county border runs through it (along the river Thames) so it may depend on which side of the river he was born.

Caversham was a separate village at that time and was north of the river so in Oxfordshire. It has now become part of Reading, the boundaries have changed and it is now in Berkshire but the Oxfordshire border is very close. I was born in Caversham and had a friend round the corner whose house had the county boundary running through the middle

Can't help much with your original query but if I can with local knowledge, please let me know

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default William Cox of Sonning, and family

Hi Richard

Did you find your William Cox b c1827 in the 1841 Census?

The detail below may not link to your search but always worth a note

I searched the 1841 Census for William Cox b c1827 +/- 2 yrs with father Thomas in both Berkshire and Oxfordshire and out of a list of 20 there's only one William Cox with father Thomas.

1841 Census - address: Standlake Oxfds

COX, Thomas M 60 1781 Oxfordshire
    COX, Sarah F 50 1791 Oxfordshire
    COX, Pricilla F 25 1816 Oxfordshire
    COX, William M 15 1826 Oxfordshire
    COX, Stepn M 15 1826 Oxfordshire
    COX, Chas M 15 1826 Oxfordshire
    COX, Robert M 11 1830 Oxfordshire
    COX, Jno M 10 1831 Oxfordshire
    COX, Thos M 9 1832 Oxfordshire
    COX, Timothy M 7 1834 Oxfordshire
    COX, Sarah F 6 1835 Oxfordshire
    COX, Mary F 4 1837 Oxfordshire
    COX, Margaret F 2 1839 Oxfordshire
    COX, Joseph M 0 (7 months) 1841 Oxfordshire

Found a marriage
    Thomas Cox to Sarah Hobbs 31-10-1816 in Clewer Berks

Also a birth
    William Cox b 11-10-1829 s/o Thomas Cox & Charlotte at Broughton Poggs abt 10 mls n/w of Faringdon Oxfds / Berks

jenoco

Default William Cox

Did you ever find your William Cox? I believe he's the son of Thomas Cox and Lucy Sellwood and I have his baptism at Peppard Church 10 Sept. 1826 (not verified by me but from another researcher). Thomas and Lucy are my 3x great grandparents.

Victoria Sellwood Turner

Default William Cox

Quote Originally Posted by jenoco View Post
    Did you ever find your William Cox? I believe he's the son of Thomas Cox and Lucy Sellwood and I have his baptism at Peppard Church 10 Sept. 1826 (not verified by me but from another researcher). Thomas and Lucy are my 3x great grandparents.
    I don't think he is, Jenaco. My research shows that William Cox, son of Thomas and Lucy, (nee Sellwood) married Elizabeth Lailey in 1865. He was dead by 1871.
    Victoria

jenoco

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Sellwood Turner View Post
    I don't think he is, Jenaco. My research shows that William Cox, son of Thomas and Lucy, (nee Sellwood) married Elizabeth Lailey in 1865. He was dead by 1871.
    Victoria
    I have the William Cox who married Elizabeth Lailey at Kidmore End as the son of Daniel Cox. Daniel, bap Sonning 12 Feb, 1797, was the brother of the above Thomas. He married Elizabeth Miles (per notice in Reading Mercury in 1828) and they had at least six children, five of whom were baptised in Rotherfield Greys and the youngest at Peppard Congregational Church. The family lived at Cane End in 1851. This William died in 1865, after only two months of marriage and was buried 18 Jun 1865 at Kidmore End. I don't have the marriage cert., above is from the parish registers. Jenny
    Last edited by jenoco; 02-10-2013 at 5:31 AM. Reason: correction

Victoria Sellwood Turner

Default William Cox of Sonning, and family

Ooer, Jenny !
    That will teach me to double-check what someone swears is right. My excuse - at the time I did not have a fiche of the Kidmore PRs, and what else I could check rang true.
    I had checked Elizabeth Lailey's background quite extensively as she is also very distantly linked to me, but I only had the civil marriage registration for William Cox and Elizabeth Lailey.
    Thank you for putting me right and yes, I have now found the marriage and burial on the Kidmore fiche.

You may well be right about William, son of Thomas and Lucy being the one who married Sarah Ann Goodey. I will have to do some revision, double checking and tidying up of my error - and everything else, though before I dive into that. Again, thank you.
    Victoria

jenoco

On looking at my tree, not 100% sure of William Cox and Sarah Goodey, but the only one in 1841 born Sonning (William's birthplace in 1871) is Thomas's son ... however, he gives Caversham as his birthplace in 1861 so need to check the cert or PRs to be 100% sure