Knowledgeable and helpful

Default PC gone crazy - Help!!

Me again, with another PC problem!
    According to AVG everything is fine - no threats etc (so far). However, I am now being bugged by Windows security alerts, which are appearing constantly and something called Active Security which keeps appearing on my screen telling me my PC is under threat and offering me the opportunity to 'Buy Now! 50% off''
    What the heck is going on? As soon as I came onto BG today, up it pops telling be it has to block suspicious activity. (It's the same on anything else.)
    Please help!

MarkJ

Download something like Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Ad-Aware (better still - get both!) or another good malware tool.

Once you have the tool, run it and it should detect the malware and then remove it. Most anti-virus software does not detect or remove all spyware/malware stuff - AV programs are targetted at viruses

If Spybot S&D or Lavasoft's equally good tool Ad-Aware cannot deal with the problem, then come back and we can review the problem.

Mark

Procat

If you google for Active Security you will find numerous hits for it.

Some include steps to remove it from your computer. I suspect you inadvertently picked it up by clicking on a link on a site.

It is a malicious program which you should get rid of.

(Beaten by Mark - again. )

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Mark and Procat for your replies. While you were replying I was already doing as Procat suggested and have (I think) removed it with the help of an anti malware programme. So far so good. I'm getting good at this Just remembered....pride comes before a fall...I may yet be back with more problems

Carmy

Spyware Blaster is also an excellent program. But as with anything, you have to update regularly. Both Spyware Blaster and Spybot recommend checking for updates every week.

You should also check for updates on your anti-virus program every day before you browse anywhere.

Right now, it seems Micromess is pushing to download their latest serivce pack of a year or two ago, but the tech sites I've checked say to leave it alone. It's reminidng me on a daily basis and there isn't much I can do but click Cancel because it ain't getting in here.