Thread: Caputh Parish?

steveross1979

Default Caputh Parish?

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me roughly how long Caputh in Perthshire was a parish for and was it known by any other name please

many thanks

Steve

Archives

safetyman

Default The parish of Caputh

Hello Steve, I don't know whether you are still interested but a lot of information on Caputh can be found in "The statistical accounts of Scotland". In the 1791-1799 edition it says that Caputh which was formerly part of Little Dunkeld parish became a separate parish in 1500.
    Caputh includes the site of the Roman fort known as Ardoch although Ardoch itself lies on the other side of the river Tay.
    My wife's family comes from both villages.
    Hope this is of help,
    Regards, Frank

You can find the relevant website via Google.

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    Hello Steve, I don't know whether you are still interested but a lot of information on Caputh can be found in "The statistical accounts of Scotland". In the 1791-1799 edition it says that Caputh which was formerly part of Little Dunkeld parish became a separate parish in 1500.
    Caputh includes the site of the Roman fort known as Ardoch although Ardoch itself lies on the other side of the river Tay.
    My wife's family comes from both villages.
    Hope this is of help,
    Regards, Frank

You can find the relevant website via Google.

It's included in the sticky on places where they live that I put on the general scottish forum, along with odd notes on using the site..
    GENUKI also has a bit of info, including which parish registers have survived https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/PER/Caputh/index.html

Lesley

jimblack

In 1500 Bishop George Brown of Dunkeld divided the old parish of Little Dunkeld into the old parish of Little Dunkeld and Caputh. It has been variously spelt - Kepit, Keppit, Keapoch, Kjapoch, Capoth and, for many years, Caputh. Incidentally, it is pronounced Kaypith. Hope this helps.
    Jim

Sky Bird

Default Caputh Parish

Steve,

If you Google "caputh parish church" you will get at lot of information. I don't know exactly what you are looking for but there is a summary at

https://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cmas/site.php?id=128525

My wife and I visited the site of the original church last summer. We walked the old cemetery. Let me know what you are looking for. Maybe I can help.

Regards,

Sky Bird

Jan1954

Hello Sky Bird,

Unfortunately, steveross1979 has not been on the forum for the past 18 months and so may not see your reply. However, if he has email notification enabled, it could bring him back.

Thank you for your post,