Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EZARD

Brick wall demolition expert!

1910 US census - Lancaster Ward 9, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Albert Ezard, head, married, 41, married 7 years, b. England, parents b. England, immig 1894, alien, miller, forge works
    Abbie Ezard, wife, married, 38, married 7 years, 6 children born, 5 still alive, b. Pennsylvania, parents born Pennsylvania
    Bertha E Ezard, daughter, 6, b. Pennsylvania
    Arthur E Ezard, son, 3, born Pennsylvania
    Harry M Keller, stepson, 17, b. Pennsylvania, miller, forge works
    Marion Keller, stepdaughter, 12, b. Pennsylvania

1900 US census - Atglen Borough, Chester, Pennsylvania

Sarah Ezard, head, married, b Oct 1849, 50, 6 children born, 3 still alive, b. England of parents b. England, immig (blank)
    Albert E Ezard, son, single, b. Apr 1872, 28, b. England of parents b. England, iron polisher, immig (blank)

1910 US census - Atglen, Chester, Pennsylvania

Millard Harkins, head, mar, mar 12 years, 35, b Penn, laborer, railroad
    Bertha Harkins, wife, mar, mar 12 years, 31, 5 children born, 5 still alive, b. England of parents b. England, immig 1890
    Martha Harkins, dau, 11, b. Penn
    Ida Florence Harkins, dau, 9, b. Penn
    Cecelia Harkins, dau, 6, b. Penn
    Esther Harkins, dau, 3, b. Penn
    Gertrude Harkins, dau, 1 5/12, b. Penn
    Sarah Ezard, mother-in-law, married, 64, 6 children born, 3 still alive, b. England of parents b. England, immig 1890

1900 US Census - Atglen Borough, Chester, Pennsylvania

Millard Harkins, head, married, b. Jul 1873, 26, mar 2 years, b. Penn, railroad repairman
    Bertha Harkins, wife, married, b. May 1878, 22, mar 2 years, 1 child born, 1 child still alive, b. England of parents b. England, immig 1895
    Martha E Harkins, daur, b. Jul 1898, 1, b. Penn
    Alfred Ezard, father in law, married, b. Mar 1850, 50, b. England of parents b. England, iron polisher, immig (blank)
    Albert Harkins, boarder, married, b 1843, 57, b. Pennsylvania

1910 US Census - Lancaster Ward 2, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

W M Parrish, head, married, 41, b. Pennsylvania, driver, coal wagon
    Mary E Parrish, wife, married, 36, b. Pennsylvania, washerwoman, at home
    Mable C Parrish, dau, 10, b. Pennsylvania
    Alfred G Ezard, boarder, divorced, 64, b. England of parents b. England, immig 1859(?), naturalized, own income

Boston passenger lists - ship Roman - Liverpool to Boston arriving 4 May 1889

Alfred Ezard, 44, grinder, citizen of England, native country = Manchester, intended destination = Philadelphia

Philadelphia passenger lists - ship Ohio - Liverpool to Philadelphia arriving 27 Oct 1889

Sarah Ezard, 40, citizen of England, native of England, wife, destination Philadelphia
    Bertha Ezard, 10, ditto, ditto, child, ditto

Unfortunately, I can't find this family prior to leaving England.

Adele

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't find this family prior to leaving England.
    'Tis worth checking under the name of IZZARD as well. I have Izzard in my tree and have found a couple of times individuals have been recorded as Ezzard or Ezard.

thewideeyedowl

In the 19th century, there were a lot of EZARDs round Filey, which is in the northern part of the East Riding of Yorkshire and only a few miles from Scarborough, which is in the southern part of the North Riding. At least one branch - the family of William EZARD, my great-great-grandfather - crossed the Peninnes to Manchester in 1867; I believe that it was a bankruptcy that triggered the move. Please see this post: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ighlight=Ezard.

Sorry I can't help you with Albert EZARD. But, if it's any help, the Filey Ezard families seem to have been involved in different aspects of the building trade, e.g. wheelwrights, carpenters, joiners, builders, but may not always have been good at business. Oh, dear..... You could check the London Gazette and trade directories, perhaps, to try to glean info on Albert.

Thank you

Owl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Alfred Ezard

Alfred Ezard born 3 Mar 1847 in Filey, went to Manchester 1867. Married Mary Ann Andrews 25 Apr 1871 had 2 sons James Arthur and Frank Osman both died 1884.Alfred then started a relationship with Sarah Evans nee Dixon. on 4 Apr 1889 he sailed to the States. Sarah soon followed him with her daughter Bertha Fletcher from an affair with Elijah Fletcher who she also had a son with called Elijah Albert Edward Fletcher. On arrival in the States they all adopted the Ezard name, as Alfred had assumed the role as stepfather.Albert Edward (he dropped the name Elijah) married Abbe Keller and had 3 children and Bertha married Alvin Millard Hawkins and had 8 children. Sarah went back to England in 1910 and died 1913. Alfred stayed in Atglen until he died 5 Nov 1917. He died of gangrene in his right foot and leg resulting from diabetes.

thewideeyedowl

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post

1881 census RG11; Piece: 3573; Folio: 11; Page: 16

Alderley Rd No 5, Little Meolse, Cheshire

George Ezard 31 head, Carpenter b Bridlington
    Elizabeth Ezard wife, 29 b Salford
    Charles W. Ezard son, 8 b Manchester
    Thomas E. Ezard son, 6 b Manchester
    Albert B. Ezard son, 3 b Manchester
    Alice Ezard daur, 1 b Manchester
    If you take a further look at this census you will note that there were three EZARD families living in Alderley Road: George, born Bridlington, at No 5; and then the brothers William (25), at No 4, and Joseph (30), at No 3. William and Joseph were both Master Builders. Joseph was my great-grandfather.

I do not know how the George Ezard in this census might be related, but the grandfather of these Ezard brothers was a man called George Ezard, whose children were born between about 1803 and 1812 or so. They included a daughter called Rhoda (whose descendants went to the USA) and my great-great-grandfather William Ezard, who was born and baptised in Burton Fleming, sometimes referred to as North Burton (and then mis-transcribed as 'Northallerton') on Sunday 19th April 1812. Perhaps it was thought that the little baby would not survive? In fact, he lived to be 74 and died in 1886.

If anyone can trace the first George Ezard, whose date of birth might have been in the 1770s/1780s, we might be able to establish the family relationships. I believe that the wife of the first George Ezard might have been called Mary - though, in fact, he might have changed his surname to hers. This is very complicated and I have not really tried to unravel it from FreeREG.

Owl

Allen Ezard

Default Ezard descendant

Albert Ezard of Lancaster, PA (son of Albert Ezard of England) was my great-grandfather. His son Arthur E Ezard was an active leader in the Lancaster Salvation Army. Many of their descendants still live in the Lancaster County area. My daughter's name is Alanna, so we are keeping the "A Ezard" name alive for at least 6 generations.

Allen Ezard

Default Albert Ezard's house

I have in my files the deed for the house at 545 Spruce Street, Lancaster, PA which Albert bought in 1920. My grandfather Arthur and grandmother Lauretta lived there until his death in 1965 and hers on October 6, 2005 at age 97.

Deed, Phares G Baker and Esther B Baker to Albert Ezard
    February 7, 1920.
    Deed Book H, Volume 24, Page 96
    Harold G Ripple, Attorney

Letter from Attorney Ripple explaining settlement’s sources and uses of funds.
    February 7, 1920
    Albert Ezard received $750 “from Supreme Ruling of the Fraternal Mystic Circle” in order to pay the $600 due at settlement and other costs.

Assignment of Bond and Mortgage, Jacob F Charles to Harriet Mary Rose
    April 1, 1920
    $1,500.

Bond, Albert Ezard to Harriet Mary Rose
    Due April 1, 1921
    $1,500, 5 and ˝%.
    “… to supplement the bond given by Baker to Charles…”
    Witnessed by Bertha Ezard.

What is your interest in Albert Ezard, and have you found any other info?

thewideeyedowl

Default Ezard lines - yours and mine

Hi Allen..... and a very warm welcome from all at Brit Gen - particularly from me, another Ezard researcher and descendant.

This thread was started by Mesmeltzer in October 2009 but the poster made only two posts then and has not been around since. (If you check the profile, you will see that the poster is based probably not far from you.)

Other forum members provided valuable info from censuses etc, as you will have read in the posts above. I picked up on the thread in 2013 (#13) because I am an Ezard descendant, but not from the immediate lines in this thread. I suspect that we might find a distant connection if researches went back to George EZARD of Yorkshire, whose children were born in the early years of the 19th century. (One of his younger children (possibly, the youngest?) was William EZARD 1812-1886, who was my great-great-grandfather.) You might be able to trace descent through one of George's older sons(?). I haven't researched this far back yet, so cannot really help. I suggest that you click on the link to my EZARD Family History thread in #13, so that you can see when this/my branch of the family moved to Manchester; I think it was probably because of William's bankruptcy. They started again.

I believe that there are still significant numbers of Ezards in Lancashire, Yorkshire and The Wirral (the peninsula of land between the Mersey and the Dee) - all places far from where I live.

Also, enter EZARD in the search box towards the top right of the page and you will get a list of threads in which the name occurs. You might be interested in Ezard Street, Manchester - currently not 'active', but you never know! - and then you can check out old photographs of it through Manchester archives. Just google it. (This street was cleared in the 1960s(?) and the area re-developed. But as streets tended to be named for the builder or someone eminent in the area, it raises the question: who was the eponymous Ezard??? More research needed.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default Albert Bennett EZARD

Is this the Albert Ezard that has been the subject for much of this thread:

Marriage on 24 August 1904, Clayton, Lancs
    EZARD, Albert Bennett
    ETCHELLS, Ada
    GRO Ref: 1904 Qtr 3, Prestwich, Vol 8d, p562

He's not one of mine!

Owl

thewideeyedowl

The EZARD surname is now registered for a One-Name Study with the Guild of One-Name Studies. See this thread: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ighlight=EZARD.

To date, I have no more info on the Pennsylvania EZARDs that feature in this particular thread but they will be coming into the research before too long.

If you have any EZARD queries, please contact me.

Owl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast