Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BAWTREE

Peter-Gabriel

There are existing Bawtree descendants in the UK. I'm getting closer to them! Meanwhile they came into the possession of their main manor house through the marriage of Jon Bawtree's father, another John, widower of miss Ram, to Bridget Canning the heir to the property.
    Louisa Mitchell was the one who descended from a Metis (half French half Ojibwa Indian), and with an amazing clutch of ancestors. i do have much more and would be willing to share my tree with anyone interested!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Boswell,
    I am not related to your family at all.
    I read your posts and I understand that your grandmother was born in the Abberton Manor.
    I do not know that you are aware that Abberton Manor was sold in 70's and at the moment this is an Abberton Manor Nursing Home.
    I have been working there from over 5 years. Always wanted to know more about the place. Been digging on internet for a while and I was lucky to find your post.
    Do you think that would be possible for you to make a photo of a oil painting you own and send it to me? The one of the ship on a China Sea where David Bawtree used to serve.
    please, please, please. I also will be very grateful for any information you have about Abberton Manor history.
    I know in 1930' it belonged to Lilley's family but cannot find out how did they get it?
    Sorry for my chaotic message. I am just so excited I have opportunity to find out more about Abberton Manor.
    Thank you
    Mariola

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Mariola,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I would have thought the best place to find out about Abberton Manor would have been the Local Studies Library in Colchester library.
    There are some references to various people who lived at the Manor in online newspapers, viewable either via the British Newspaper Archive or Findmypast (which has all but the latest BNA's updates). Filter your search to Essex newspapers, and use the exact phrase 'Abberton Manor'.

As you say, the Lilleys were there at the end of 1939, as shown in the 1939 Register.
    Ask in the Local Studies Library re electoral rolls/registers. Once you find if Abberton is listed under A by itself in a district or under A in a 'ward' it's relatively easy to find the records in subsequent years.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345