Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    sherry coles

Hi how are you doing. I may be related to Jane Sophia Blackwell her being my grandmother on my fathers side. Sophia is a mystery -
    I beleive she married tom Cole in Cirencester a very much older man and he died in 1914. She came to Bristol turn on the century with Three children - Edwin, Kathlean and Lillian. She went on to have 2 more children Reginald and Peter(Cole) by father unknown and then married we believe Walter Godfrey. My father was born in 1925 so definately not a Cole and Reginald was half Chinese.
    What a to do!!! I have tried to research Sophia but to no avail so may try the Titcombe line as seen on your forum.
    Sophia we know lived in Hotwells and the Clifton area and we did not know what happened to Mr Godfrey. We know she spoke very well and was very houseproud but my late aunt used to say a bit free with her favours!!!! At one time she did live in Royal York Crescent and I believe suffered from unusual moods to say the least. We carried on the Cole name and none of her children are now alive. Many times we questioned them for information but it was a closed shop never to be spoken about.
    Would love to hear from you - waiting in anticipation. Sherry Coles

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Sherry
    Welcome to Brit Gen. You will find this a very helpful site and very friendly.
    Walter Godfrey was my grandfather whom I knew well. He did marry Jane Sophia Blackwell in 1938 in Bristol.
    Jane Sophia Blackwell was born Jane Sophia Titcombe. her family had changed their names to Blackwell many years previously and they used either Blackwell, Titcombe or both over time.
    Jane was hard to trace because of this but I got some help and pointers on this site and much of the information is now backed up by records.
    When Jane married Walter she was single (1938) so that does not add up except she could have lied either at my granddads marriage or not even been 'married' at all.
    I am not sure which of Sophia's children you descend from. My mother Emily 'Joyce' Godfrey was from Walter's first marriage. She was born in 1919, her mother died in 1925 before Walter went on to marry Jane. My mother did not recollect any children of Jane and the younger ones I thought would be around. Sadly my mother is now deceased so I can not confirm this with her.
    On a death certificate I got of Jane Godfrey (1960) the informant was K. Payne daughter does that ring a bell?
    Do you have any birth certificates of the children of Jane Sophia.
    Perhaps someone on the forum can help us with Tom Cole who died in 1914 in Bristol and see if we can find any more information
    Meanwhile keep posting and Happy Seaching
    ELMA

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Elma,
    Jane Sophia Blackwell/Titcombe was my husband’s grandmother. Kathleen Payne was Jane Sophia’s eldest daughter. I have only just started researching all of this although his sister Sherry has done a lot. If you found anymore out I’d love to know.
    Kind regards
    Tizabel

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345