Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wellandg

Exclamation Marylands Downage Hendon??

Hi

Does anyone know what Marylands Downage Hendon was in about 1945?

I have a relative born out of wedlock and on the birth certificate under the column "residence of informant" it says mother & Marylands Downage Hendon.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Keyboard86

Hi Gary, asked a work colleague who lives in Hendon and is an ancient one!

He says (and I partially confirmed it via google that it was c1945 St Mary C of E School in Marylands Road,)it is still there.

Hope this helps.

Keyboard86

Reputation beyond repute

There is today a Maryland House in The Downage, Hendon NW4 1AA.

It's a medical equipment company today. I don't know what it was in 1945. If you want, you can call it up on Multimap and use birds eye view.

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

It's a medical equipment company today. I don't know what it was in 1945. If you want, you can call it up on Multimap and use birds eye view.
    Peter thank you for giving what I believe is the correct response to this post, just wait until my Hendon living colleague returns to the office and I show the image on Google maps!

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

wellandg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Thanks I've already done that, I more wanted to know what sort of institution it was?

Thanks again

Gary

wellandg

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi Gary, asked a work colleague who lives in Hendon and is an ancient one!

He says (and I partially confirmed it via google that it was c1945 St Mary C of E School in Marylands Road,)it is still there.

Hope this helps.

Keyboard86
    Thanks, I was more interested to know what sort of institution it was c1945. I'm thinking that if a single mother is there it would not be a school, she was 19 when she gave birth.

Thanks again

Gary

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There's some confusion here, I think

It's true that St Mary's C of E school is in Downage (not The Downage!), but it was built well after 1945, more like the 1960s. The even-numbered houses in Downage are on the opposite side of the road from the school, and were built (I would say) 1910s-1920s. They are large family homes, and a few have now been converted into flats.

To find out what was at Maryland House, Downage, in 1945, your best bet would be to email Barnet Local Studies. The staff are normally very prompt to reply and very helpful.

Kerrywood

Reputation beyond repute

Trade directories might be a good bet. London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Library should have something relevant.

Marie C..

It may well have been a convent or a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns or some kindly souls and the school has been built on the land since or taken over the building and expanded. Marie

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    It may well have been a convent or a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns or some kindly souls and the school has been built on the land since or taken over the building and expanded. Marie
    I would agree to that after googling it this morning. I summed up the hits and decided that's what is was - a home/reformatory school for unwed moms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast