Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wellandg

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I would agree to that after googling it this morning. I summed up the hits and decided that's what is was - a home/reformatory school for unwed moms.
    Thanks to all for your "guesses". I'd already "googled" & assumed it must be some sort of unmarried mothers home.

I really want to know specifically what is is/was. I have emailed Barnet Council to see if they can help me.

Gary

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wellandg View Post
    Thanks to all for your "guesses". I'd already "googled" & assumed it must be some sort of unmarried mothers home.
    I really want to know specifically what is is/was. I have emailed Barnet Council to see if they can help me.
    Please don't assume that everyone who replies is merely guessing or googling. Some people may have specific local knowledge. I live within a mile of Downage and am a frequent visitor to St Mary's C of E School

For your sake, I hope you have emailed Barnet Local Studies direct, and not just "the Council".

Kerrywood

wellandg

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Please don't assume that everyone who replies is merely guessing or googling. Some people may have specific local knowledge. I live within a mile of Downage and am a frequent visitor to St Mary's C of E School
    I appreciate that but as has been said here the school was not built until the 60s, so it wasn't a school in 1945.

I asked if anyone knew what Marylands WAS in 1945, few have assumed it was a home for unmarried mothers, which to be honest, doesn't take a lot of working out, but doesn't really answer my question.

For your sake, I hope you have emailed Barnet Local Studies direct, and not just "the Council".

Kerrywood
    Sorry for not being specific but there was a link posted in an earlier reply.

TO ALL:

I'm not being ungrateful here, just don't think my original question has been answered, but thanks for all the input.

Gary

wellandg

Arrow Barnet Local Studies & Archives

Barnet Local Studies & Archives have replied to my question

Thank you for your enquiry and your interest in Barnet Archives and Local Studies Centre. We are very busy at the moment due to the large numbers of enquiries we receive. However, we will answer your enquiry as soon as possible.
    I'll wait for their reply

Gary

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wellandg View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know what Marylands Downage Hendon was in about 1945?

I have a relative born out of wedlock and on the birth certificate under the column "residence of informant" it says mother & Marylands Downage Hendon.

Thanks in advance

Gary
    Hi
    Just to add my tuppence worth it would have mothers name and address ie
    Sandy Hall
    Marylands, (This would be the name of the House/Home)
    Downage, ( this is the parish)
    Hendon.

Its most likely to be a "Mother & Baby Home"
    Unmarried Mothers where sent away to these homes to have their Babies usually run by the Church (RC & C of E) they went 6 weeks before and stayed 6 weeks after. Wherein this time most babies where placed up for adoption. Some of the lucky one's like me kept their babies.

Sandy

wellandg

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Hi
    Just to add my tuppence worth it would have mothers name and address ie
    Sandy Hall
    Marylands, (This would be the name of the House/Home)
    Downage, ( this is the parish)
    Hendon.

Its most likely to be a "Mother & Baby Home"
    Unmarried Mothers where sent away to these homes to have their Babies usually run by the Church (RC & C of E) they went 6 weeks before and stayed 6 weeks after. Wherein this time most babies where placed up for adoption. Some of the lucky one's like me kept their babies.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy, unfortunately it only says Marylands Downage Hendon on the birth certificate.

We have also come to the conclusion it was some sort of mother & baby home and they were sent there.

My relative thinks she was in a childrens home for the first 2 years, she was then "reunited" with her mother when she married and was adopted by her husband.

My relative only found out this info when her mother died, her adopted father died a few years earlier, and she was never told. Seems although she knew her correct DOB, she was never told what year her mother married until she found papers after her death.

We've got birth & adoption certificates, but she is quite keen to know where she spent the first 2 years of her life, hence to know what Marylands was and to see if any records exist that may help to find that out.

Thanks for your reply.

Gary

wellandg

Thumbs down

To find out what was at Maryland House, Downage, in 1945, your best bet would be to email Barnet Local Studies. The staff are normally very prompt to reply and very helpful.

Kerrywood
    Thanks, but at the moment they are not very prompt, been 11 days since they acknowledged my email, and still waiting.

They are very busy, just have to wait.

Gary

oamsugars

Hi
    I know you posted this a really long time ago but I know the answer to your question as my grandmother had my mum there just after the war in January 1946. It was according to the Matron she worked for she was a nurse in the QAMNS an "ante-natal hostel" run by the British Red Cross Society. It cost 30 shillings a week and confinement took place at a nearby hospital. According to the letter we have it was "common for mothers to go to Maryland around the 7th month of pregnancy"

Hope this helps I hope you get to see this.........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12