The Tank

Default Birth to Baptism

With a few exceptions where it is noted, I'm having to guess an ancestors age from their baptism record.

I know in Victorian times there was the likelihood of two or three children being baptised together. But does anyone know if in Georgian times the practice was to get children baptised quickly given the issues with infant mortality.

Carmy

Interesting question. You might find an answer here: https://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/research/p...ninfanthealth/

Good luck! And please let us know what you find.

Anna

Quote Originally Posted by The Tank View Post
    With a few exceptions where it is noted, I'm having to guess an ancestors age from their baptism record.

I know in Victorian times there was the likelihood of two or three children being baptised together. But does anyone know if in Georgian times the practice was to get children baptised quickly given the issues with infant mortality.
    I have a family who had the last four children baptised on the same date in 1825, ages ranging from 15 to 8. No idea why they left it so late as the earlier children had been Baptised as infants.

I think I am correct in saying that the Stamp Act of 1783 levied a tax of 3 pence for an entry in the Register (except if you were a pauper), the Act was repealed in 1794. The Baptism was free of course, so I wonder if when we hit a brickwall with Baptisms during that date range is was because they couldn't pay (wouldn't pay) for the Register entry? Just a thought.