Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    janbooth

Default Joseph TARRY

There is this baptism at St Mary Newington courtesy London Parish Registers via Ancestry:

Born 8 April, baptised 15 June 1823 at St Mary, Newington Joseph TERRY son George & Harriet of Kennington Lambeth, Butcher - could this be your Joseph??

Another baptism to this couple is on 30 March 1825 at St Mary Lambeth George Painter (could be Pointer the writing is very faint) TERRY son George & Harriet, Kennington, Butcher

Janet

JAP1

Quote Originally Posted by SugarB View Post
    I do have him in 1861 as you note above, and I have him in 1871 RG10/4565 married to Isabel, I just have not seen a copy of him on any 1881 Census .. he died in 1890, thanks so much. I'll see if I can find him on the 1881 census
    cheers
    SugarB, I gave you the details from the 1881 census in post #11.

I also mentioned that the name had been mis-transcribed as TARVY.

So, wherever you are searching the 1881 census, do try searching under TARVY.

JAP

SugarB

Hi Mutley, I am not comfortable with it either. The timing is about right I think .. but Terry? I was always told by family members that the name was anglicized after the family immigrated to England from France, but who knows .. I am finding that tales told years back tend to grow. On my Joseph's first marriage certificate his father (also Joseph) occupation was listed as Draper, would that also refer to or be the same as a weaver? Another question, Joseph himself was a bootmaker, would he have had to apprentice for that profession? Thanks so much for all your help, it is sooo appreciated.

SugarB

JAP!, yes sorry missed that .. I did confirm his first marriage was to Ellen Lawn (1854). I am going to confirm her death in 1860 shortly, and obtain the marriage certificate for his marriage to Isabella Spence in 1862 (at least I think its to Isabella, as my gr grandfathers mother was Isabella confirmed by obtaining his birth certificate)... so according to the 1881 census he must have married another Ellen. This is just so fascinating to me. And I certainly do appreciate all the help I am receiving. Cheers

JAP1

Default Another Marriage

Hi SugarB,

Joseph TARRY did marry the second Ellen.
    Unfortunately the original GRO Index has him as Joseph TERRY.
    The Yorkshire BMD site has it correctly as TARRY.

1879 June quarter, Leeds, Vol 9b, Page 677

Ellen is listed as Eliza CLARKSON, Ellen CLARKSON and Ellen WOOD on FreeBMD (WOODS on the Yorkshire BMD site).

From censuses it can be seen that CLARKSON was her maiden surname and WOOD a married surname.

JAP

JAP1

Default Isabella SPENCE

In 1851, Isabella SPENCE, 20, born Gilling Yorkshire was in Richmond Yorkshire with her unmarried aunt, Isabella BARKER, a Bread Baker aged 70
    H107/ Piece 2381/ Folio 139/ Page 7 (Crown Copyright)

Isabella seems to be the following from the IGI:
    Isabella SPENCE , christened 4 Jan 1829, Saint Agatha, Gilling by Richmond, parents Ralph SPENCE & Ann

There is the following marriage in the IGI:
    Ralph SPENCE m Ann BARKER, 31 Dec 1810, Richmond near Leyburn, Yorkshire

JAP
    PS: (Isabella BLAKE, 38, b Ripon, Housekeeper for Joseph in 1861 is a different Isabella.)

JAP1

A couple of thoughts.

1. I take it that you have the 1854 marriage certificate of Joseph TARRY & Ellen LAWN. Perhaps you could post the details - there just might be some clues e.g. whether he was a bachelor, his age as given then, his occupation and residence at the time, names of the witnesses ...

2. You will recall that, in 1871, Joseph's nephew Frank TARRY was living with the family - age 25, a Manager to Shoe Manufacturer, born Clerkenwell Middlesex.
    If Frank truly was Joseph's nephew (or even perhaps a great nephew), it might be worth following him up to see if that might help to locate Joseph himself or his father in earlier censuses.
    In 1861, Frank can be found in Great Creaton, Northamptonshire.
    In 1851, Frank was with his father Charles TARRY in Islington; Charles was born in Creaton Northamptonshire.

The following from the IGI looks like the family of Charles ...
    Children of William TARRY & Mary, all baptized at Independent Church, Great Creaton, Northamptonshire - Robert 1793, John 1795, William 1803, William 1804, Joseph 1808, David 1816, Charles 1817, Isaac 1818.

I mention the following only because of the occupation - in 1861, there is a Joseph TERRY (sic) in Aynho Northamptonshire, age 55, a Draper, born Aynho ... RG9/ Piece 921/ Folio 7/ Page 8 (Crown copyright)

JAP

JAP1

Default Summary

I was getting a bit muddled so decided to write out a summary of events - then thought that I might as well post it.

I have not inserted the specific references from FreeBMD. They can easily be found. A search on FreeBMD for All Types, surname TARRY, West Riding of Yorkshire, finds almost all of the relevant events if anyone needs the references.

Joseph TARRY b ca 1825 either Surrey or Middlesex
    Note: Joseph's birth/christening has not yet been found.
    Nor has he yet been found in the 1841 or 1851 censuses.
    SugarB has indicated that, on his 1854 marriage to Ellen LAWN, his father was named as Joseph TARRY, a Draper.

1854 Mar qtr, Marriage: Joseph TARRY = Ellen LAWN, Leeds

1856 June qtr Emily TARRY born Leeds

1860 June qtr James Charles TARRY born Leeds

1860 Dec qtr, Death: Ellen TARRY dies Tadcaster (Tadcaster registration district includes Sherburn which was given as Ellen LAWN's birthplace in the 1851 census)

1862 Mar qtr , Marriage: Joseph TARRY = Isabell SPENCE, Leeds

1863 Mar qtr, James Charles TARRY dies Leeds

1863 Dec qtr, George TARRY born Leeds

1865 Mar qtr, Frances TARRY born Leeds

1866 Dec qtr, Frank TARRY born Leeds

1871 Sep qtr, James & Joseph TARRY born Leeds; Joseph dies same qtr

1875 Sep qtr, Emily TARRY marries Francis TARRY, Leeds (this is her cousin Frank)

1878 Jan qtr, Death: Isabell/Isabella TARRY, age 48, dies Leeds

1879 June qtr, Marriage: Joseph TARRY (in the GRO Index as TERRY) = Ellen WOOD nee CLARKSON

1888 Sep qtr, Fanny TARRY marries Edmund BRADLEY, Leeds

1890 Mar qtr, Death: Joseph TARRY, age 66, dies Leeds

1906 June qtr, Death: Ellen TARRY, age 75, dies Hunslet

JAP
    PS: I haven't inserted the marriages of George (b 1863), Frank (b 1866) or James (b 1871)

SugarB

oh my gosh JAP what a lot of information, my head is reeling right now. I will have to read it over again to let it sink in. Amazing! And ty so much.
    Here is the information on his 1854 marriage certificate:

Joseph Tarry, Age 30, Bachelor, Bootmaker, Caledonia Road, Father Joseph Tarry, Profession Draper

Ellen Lawn, Age 30, Spinster, Springfield Mount, Father William Lawn, Profession Joiner

The witnesses were William Walker and Elizabeth Lawn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123