Stephen Evans

Smile Freshwater Coast Guard Station, Isle of Wight

Have just discovered that my Ancestor Josiah Dornford was a Lieutenant RN, in charge of Freshwater Coast Guard Station, Isle of Wight in 1827.
    Given its important location, I wonder if there is any trace of the station today and any additional information available.

Cheers

racing girl

If you fancy a holiday in the UK it looks like at least one of those cottages has been turned into self catering!

Coastguard Cottage

You may also want to try the Coastguards of Yesteryear web site too.

And finally, you might want to take this one up with the Isle of Wight Family History Society to see if they hold any records, but your ancestor was accused of collusion with smugglers, and was subsequently tried and acquitted. See the last couple of paragraphs of this article. Also try the National Archives site as they've put some Coastguard Records online, free to download, mainly the posting books of the CG staff around the UK.

Brenda

busyglen

I'm not sure if it could be one of these, but they are at Freshwater. The site is also related to Coastguards.

https://members.lycos.co.uk/s0uthbury/fwt.htm

Glenys

Mods: Can't find the instructions to hide the ulr, so if inappropriate, please modify.