Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chrissy

Default Masters-MacMasters? Help

Hello there my name is chrissy I'm a kiwi living in Netherlands for the time being.Ever since my father passed away in 2003 I have been trying to trace his family back ground but I have hit a brick wall.
    What I do understand from my dad is that the Masters did come out from Scotland sometime in the early 1800's somewhere near or around Glasglow but there can also be a name change from MacMasters to Masters this has not been confirm as yet.
    There has been two constant names in the male side of the Masters family and that has been Alfred Ison Masters both been my grandfather and great grandfather what I do know is that we come from the Clan name MacInnes and from the area of Morvern's coastline other than that I'm stuck.
    I would love to know if anybody can help me in tracking down the first Masters or MacMasters that left Scotland for New Zealand in the 1800's and who know's maybe there are still some alive to this day living in Scotland and if so I would sooooo love to meet them.
    HELP PLEASE
    Lost kiwi

JAP1

Hi chrissy,

Do you know the dates and places of birth of your grandfather and great-grandfather Alfred Ison MASTERS?

Were both of them born in NZ?

Do you know the names of the parents of great-grandfather Alfred Ison MASTERS?

If so, do you have their birth certificates?

Best of luck,

JAP

chrissy

Hi Jap I'm very limited on the info I have as mention my grandfather was born in 1882 in New Zealand he died I think in 1961 his father before that which is my great grandfather I'm not really sure if he was born in New Zealand or not could be he was the one that came out from Scotland to New Zealand to settle and unfortunaltley there are no birth records kept before 1839 which was noted on one of the Gov sites for BDM.

Chrissy

spison

Hi Chrissy,

Quite a remote chance that there's any connection but I am researching the ISON name from Cambridgeshire and also Australia - particularly NSW. Seeing it as a middle name would seem to suggest a marriage somewhere in the past. Keep me in mind if anything for that name is needed. We could (try to) nut it out together.

Jane

JAP1

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    Hi Jap I'm very limited on the info I have as mention my grandfather was born in 1882 in New Zealand he died I think in 1961 his father before that which is my great grandfather I'm not really sure if he was born in New Zealand or not could be he was the one that came out from Scotland to New Zealand to settle and unfortunaltley there are no birth records kept before 1839 which was noted on one of the Gov sites for BDM.

Chrissy
    Hi again Chrissy,

A basic principle is to work from the known to the unknown.

So it seems that, as a first step, you really do need to obtain your grandfather's birth certificate from NZ.

A printout (recommended) can be ordered online and costs $NZ20.

Your grandfather's birth, marriage and death can be found in the online historical NZ BDM records at:
    https://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/
    Births and deaths were recorded from 1848, marriages from 1854.

Birth
    Alfred Tson (sic) MASTERS, 1882, parents Alfred MASTERS & Margaret ST CLAIR
    (I found several children to that couple but could not find their marriage - perhaps they did not marry in NZ)
    Death
    Alfred Ison MASTERS, 1961, age 78

According to the information on the site, NZ birth certificates from 1875 contain a wealth of information including the father's name, occupation, age and birthplace; also the mother's maiden name, age and birthplace; also when and where the parents married.

Best of luck,

JAP
    PS: I looked on the Hugh Wallis middle name site at:
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....m/~hughwallis/
    for Ison as a middle name in Argyllshire and Lanarkshire - no luck.

chrissy

Thanks Jap I will look into it today,the info you gave me I actually already had on Alfred and his wife also the kids so I will try and obtain a BDM certificate as my next port of call.
    Kiwi

Famous for offering help & advice

This may be a complete red herring as location is nowhere near Scotland but Free BMD have a birth Alfred Ison Masters b Mar Q 1854 2b 434 Isle of Wight.
    There is a marriage of a Henry Masters in Jun Q 1848 IOW where Mary Ann Ison's marriage was on the same page.

Alfred Masters is on the 1861 (age 7) and 1871(age 17) censuses for the Isle of Wight but not on the 1881.

May be worth browsing through passenger lists to New Zealand here.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

Also Scotlands People have an Alfred Masters age 26 on the 1871 census Glasgow City Hutchesontown

JAP1

Hi grisel,

That was an excellent IoW find even if it does turn out to be unconnected - and a good SP find.

Re the IoW find; sometimes it's surprising how our ancestors moved around!

I see that the marriage of Henry and Mary Ann is in the IGI.
    Henry MASTERS (father James MASTERS) and Mary Ann ISON (father William ISON) married 28 Jun 1848, Whippingham Hampshire.
    It's probably this couple who had (from the IGI):
    - Mary Ann MASTERS bap 7 Oct 1849, East Cowes Hampshire, parents Henry and Mary Ann, and
    - Selina MASTERS bap 30 Mar 1851, same place, same parents.

Hi again chrissy,

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    ... the info you gave me I actually already had on Alfred and his wife also the kids ...
    It's always a good idea to provide as much info as possible re what you already know - helps us to help you. I have to admit that I'd assumed that you didn't have it all given that you didn't seem sure of your Grandfather's year of death which is why I went searching in the NZ BDMs ... Anyway, what we currently have is only info from the index. And family folklore is not always reliable (though let's hope yours is!).

The full data in NZ BDM records is usually very good so I do hope that, if you purchase the printout of your Grandfather's 1882 birth, it does contain (as it very well may) the name, age and birthplace of his father; the maiden name, age and birthplace of his mother; and when and where his parents married.

If it does, that will really give you (and the B-G sleuths) lots to work on! Especially in the Scottish records.

It will be very interesting to hear what's on your Grandfather's birth record.

Very best of luck,

JAP
    PS: I've bought some NZ records because two of my Yorkshire-born Gran's younger siblings were born there, her father died there, and her mother re-married there. Gran came to Aus ca 1890.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast