Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    JAP1

Default Useless Trivia!

Hi,

Googling finds that the siege of Plevna (sometimes Pleven) occurred during the Russian-Turko war of 1877-1878.

Plevna was in Bulgaria and apparently there are places named after it world-wide - including one in Montana said to have been named by Bulgarian migrants. Also streets in the UK.

A search on FreeBMD for
    +Plevna
    finds many instances of the name, either as a first name or as a middle name, the first instance being in the Dec quarter 1877.

Useless trivia, eh!

And, sadly, no help at all with the puzzle of the paternity of Jim NORMAN, or with the puzzle of where Hannah was in the 1920 US census.

Cheers,

JAP
    PS: There's even a Plevna in Ontario Canada, Colin!

Colin Rowledge

Default Arthur James Norman

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    The 1916 Death for Arthur Norman was in the 2 quarter which means it could have occurred within three months of it being recorded and she may well have been preggers at the time. I would order the death cert. Unless I have this all wrong -( not unusual for a Friday afternoon or any other day).
    The birth certificate for Ellen shows the father as Arthur James Norman. I have ordered the marriage certificate for Arthur and Hannah which hopefully will provide more info. on Arthur.

I don't think the death in Wilton in 1916 is my guy as I've been advised that an Arthur Norman died in Montana in November 1914. I am currently researching this angle.

Once I know more, I'll post details

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default Backwards Censuses

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I was thinking more of tracing him back: 1901, 1891, 1881 and so on until his birth.

I certainly remember that he wasn't on the 1911 Census because I spent so long looking for even Hannah without any luck; it was slizzy who found her as Anna, and Ellen as Plevna.

Perhaps by tracing James back, you might also find the origin of Plevna. I've looked it up on several Welsh name sites but not found it; it intrigues me.

I'm glad that you've found out what happened to James and where he went. As for baby James, I somehow think that Hannah had a little adventure and that you'll never find out who really was the father.
    Hi
    If the marriage certificate provides the name and occupation of Arthur James" father we may have already found some information:

On my thread - "An 'obscure' location in England" JAP1 had found [her post #39 provided information about the 1901 census in Washford]. In addition Keyboard86 and Arthururk have also provide very useful info. as well.
    Keyboard86 has also provided information on the 1891 census as well ]post #34].
    I thank you all for your interest.

I thinkk, Pottoka, that you may well be right about the birth of little James. It would be awfully nice if something dropped out of Heaven and shedded some light on this item.

Cheers
    Colin

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    Hi,

Googling finds that the siege of Plevna (sometimes Pleven) occurred during the Russian-Turko war of 1877-1878.

Plevna was in Bulgaria and apparently there are places named after it world-wide - including one in Montana said to have been named by Bulgarian migrants. Also streets in the UK.

A search on FreeBMD for
    +Plevna
    finds many instances of the name, either as a first name or as a middle name, the first instance being in the Dec quarter 1877.

Useless trivia, eh!

And, sadly, no help at all with the puzzle of the paternity of Jim NORMAN, or with the puzzle of where Hannah was in the 1920 US census.

Cheers,

JAP
    PS: There's even a Plevna in Ontario Canada, Colin!
    Not trivial at all, JAP. I found it very interesting.

Maybe I should have my knuckles rapped smartly for jumping to the conclusion that it was a Welsh name, especially as there is an on-going thread on B-G about unusual names with posts on children being named after historical events. https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...l+names&page=3 (Finbar's post, n° 83)

JAP1

Hi pottoka,

Nice one from Finbar!

What happened was that it just struck me that I should Google for Plevna (as they say, Google is your friend) and I was amazed at the results! Genealogical forums are an amazing educational experience!

And it has only now struck me that I should Google for
    Plevna + Australia

Yes! Lots of hits! Including dinosaur finds at 'Plevna Downs' station in Queensland. And even an image:
    https://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...icial%26sa%3DG

All the best.

JAP

Raaa

hi i am researching the the ball family i have a lot of them in my tree from st johns cornwall plymouth in devon and st hellier jersey a couple of them moved abroad but never been able to find them david

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Raaa View Post
    hi i am researching the the ball family i have a lot of them in my tree from st johns cornwall plymouth in devon and st hellier jersey a couple of them moved abroad but never been able to find them david
    My Ball link is generally from the Redruth/Gwithian region in Cornwall. If any of your kin hail from those areas, please get in touch so that we can 'touch base' and compare genes.

Colin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345