Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    I second Slizzy, Colin. There are some days when you can't find the right information however hard you look and you feel you're banging your head against a brickwall and that you want to sling the computer out of the window or even give up family history (please don't!).

Do you know what happened to your great-grandfather, John Ball? I just presumed that he also died before Hannah emigrated, as you said that she went with her mother, daughter and brother (Redvers?). I looked for a death entry for him between 1911, when he is on the Census, and 1917, but didn't find him, although there were a couple of pages which were nearly illegible.
    My G-grandfather had previously gone to the USA [had previously mentioned on another thread and forgot to include on this one- sorry]. After the above 3 had left Cornwall, the only remaining Ball was getting married to my Grandfather. G-g/f passed away in 1928 in Oregon. He came and went acoss the Atlantic twice - June 23, 1907 and July 18, 1909. G.g/m passed away in Oregon July 2, 1942.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi Colin, it was when I saw your mention of Wilton, that i thought of a small place with a similar name in Somerset (near Taunton) it is Williton on checking FreeBmd there is a Arthur James Norman born in Sept 1886 ref 5c 302, may not be your man but it is getting nearer to Redruth!, he is on 1891 and 1901 census, cannot find early death, I am just finishing shift so cannot carry out any more for you!

Best Regards
    Keyboard86
    Thanks for this

It could well be that the transcriber slightly erred in the location and this is a lot closer to Redruth than Wiltshire, isn't it. The age at death was 28which should have him born in 1888. Also a possibility that he had just died and another family member gave a wrong age at death after Hannah left England. Is this possible?

Has he surfaced on the 1911 census - he would have been 23-25 years old?

Will just have to wait for the birth cert. for Ellen, I guess.

Cheers
    Colin

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    My G-grandfather had previously gone to the USA [had previously mentioned on another thread and forgot to include on this one- sorry]. After the above 3 had left Cornwall, the only remaining Ball was getting married to my Grandfather. G-g/f passed away in 1928 in Oregon. He came and went acoss the Atlantic twice - June 23, 1907 and July 18, 1909. G.g/m passed away in Oregon July 2, 1942.

Colin
    Thanks for clearing that up - I hadn't seen the other thread, unfortunately. So Great-grandad was the pioneer. I wonder how the family got on being separated for so long at a time. No instant communications in those days!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up - I hadn't seen the other thread, unfortunately. So Great-grandad was the pioneer. I wonder how the family got on being separated for so long at a time. No instant communications in those days!
    The pioneers were John Eustice [the father] and James Henry [the son] in 1907. They settled in Butte, Montana where they worked in the Copper mines.

I presume life was good in the mines back then and John E. could have sent money back to support Ellen and the kids.

Cheers

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi Colin, it was when I saw your mention of Wilton, that i thought of a small place with a similar name in Somerset (near Taunton) it is Williton on checking FreeBmd there is a Arthur James Norman born in Sept 1886 ref 5c 302, may not be your man but it is getting nearer to Redruth!, he is on 1891 and 1901 census, cannot find early death, I am just finishing shift so cannot carry out any more for you!

Best Regards
    Keyboard86
    The 1916 death Arthur Norman, vol 5a page 193, is definitely Wilton in WILTSHIRE. Ref vol 5a is for Wilton.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by slizzy View Post
    The 1916 death Arthur Norman, vol 5a page 193, is definitely Wilton in WILTSHIRE. Ref vol 5a is for Wilton.
    So, my question is -- if she described herself as a widow - what happened to the husband?

Cheers

Colin

v.wells

The 1916 Death for Arthur Norman was in the 2 quarter which means it could have occurred within three months of it being recorded and she may well have been preggers at the time. I would order the death cert. Unless I have this all wrong -( not unusual for a Friday afternoon or any other day).

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    The 1916 Death for Arthur Norman was in the 2 quarter which means it could have occurred within three months of it being recorded and she may well have been preggers at the time. I would order the death cert. Unless I have this all wrong -( not unusual for a Friday afternoon or any other day).
    Hi Vanessa.
    I'm still not sure of who Ellen's father is. Waiting on a birth certificate. Not being able to find him on a UK census for 1911 troubles me!!

Cheers

Lizzy9

Re: 1911 census.

There's an Arthur James Norman in the military (overseas at time of census). However he's aged 22 which would put him 6 years younger than Hannah - not impossible.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The pioneers were John Eustice [the father] and James Henry [the son] in 1907. They settled in Butte, Montana where they worked in the Copper mines.

I presume life was good in the mines back then and John E. could have sent money back to support Ellen and the kids.

Cheers
    I've heard of Butte and its copper mines; I believe they attracted workers from nations all over the world. I agree that the pay would probably have been good, but life in the mines? Hard, dirty and, above all, dangerous, surely.

I note that Hannah's brother was called James. Maybe she named her son, born 1917, after him, rather than a husband. Just a thought.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast