Clones1819

Default HEANEY, ALFORD Clones parish look-up

Hello, I have hit a dead-end researching my Irish ancestors who I think may have been from Clones, County Monaghan. I am trying to find evidence in Irish parish records of this. These are:-

Robert Heaney b1819
    Wife: Ann Alford b1825
    Daughter: Mary Heaney b1843

They moved from Ireland to Liverpool in 1844 and I think they were protestant as they had some of their other children baptised at St Martin in the Fields COE in Liverpool.

Also making the move with them were their relatives:-

James Heaney b1818
    Wife: Mary Jane Alford b1824
    Son: John Heaney b1841

Most of the UK census returns just show born 'Ireland' however I managed to find out that Mary Heaney married a Scottish mariner named Walter Henderson. I then was able to find her as a widow, Mary Henderson born Clones on the 1911 census living in West Derby, Lancs.

Is any one able to look at the Clones Church of Ireland baptism records for me starting with Mary Heaney? The IFHF say they have no plans to put County Monaghan online and I do not have a family history centre near enough to continue my research. I did pay PRONI to look for a marriage between Robert Heaney and Ann Alford but this came up blank. Please allow a year or two either way for the years of birth that I have listed.

Thanks

Steven Heaney

Hall/Swan

well, Jane Hall was a witness when John Dunn son, Alexander Dunn Crappagh, Aghabog married Sarah Anne Heaney dau, Henry Heaney Annaghydoo in Ematris on 17th Sept 1847 ....Sarah's sister Mary Heaney dau of Henry Heaney of Annaghydoo married John Latimer son, David Latimer of Drumcall on 12th Jan 1854, both U.21...William Bell son of David Bell of Clonfad, Currin Parish married Jane Heaney dau,William Heaney Annaghydoo on 17th Aug 1853...

I just noted these to see if there were any other Hall connections.

Not sure if any of these connect with yours,

Dave Hall.

Clones1819

The Clones Church of Ireland baptism & marriage records have now appeared on the family search IGI. Hurray!

I have found that John Heaney married Anne Farrell in 1811. Their children were James b1814, Mary b1816, Robert b1818 and Elizabeth b1821. The surname has been transcribed as Heany & Heney rather than Heaney.

Strangely I can't find a baptism record for Mary b1843 who had herself as being born in Clones on the UK 1911 Census. I also can't find her cousin John b1842 or marriage records for Robert & Ann and James & Mary Jane. Perhaps Mary heard her father talking about Clones and assumed she was born there. I also can't find any baptism records for the Alford sisters. Perhaps they were from a neighbouring parish such as Killeevan and that is where the missing marriages & baptisms took place. I note that Killeevan, Currin, Drummully & Aghabog were under the Union of Clones. There is a Joseph Alford in Killeevan on the Griffith's Valuation. If anyone comes accross any of these records please let me know.

I have also found that in Clones there was a Robert Heany b1796 and brother William b 1798, parents James & Grace. Perhaps these could be the brothers and parents of my John Heaney. The 1811 marriage record on the IGI does not show the fathers names or witness names or townland. Does anyone know whether the LDS transcribe all the details from the microfilm on to the IGI as the information always seems very basic. Are the microfilm records likely to have townland, parents names, witnesses, godparents, priest etc?

Hall/Swan

They are not all on line.

Did quick check for my lines that attended there, good few missing!

Clones1819

Hmmm. I still suspect that the records I am missing are under another parish as PRONI said there was no marriage record for Robert Heaney & Ann Alford on their microfilm for Clones. I understand that it was customary to marry in the brides parish. Unfortunately I do not know which parish that is. The parish of Monaghan is also a possibility in addition to other ones I have listed.

Hall/Swan

It still is customary to marry in the girl's parish!

Ematris and Currin aren't that far from Clones.

BigIrishFamily

Post Heney/Heaney ancestors @ Annaghyduff, Ematris

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    well, Jane Hall was a witness when John Dunn son, Alexander Dunn Crappagh, Aghabog married Sarah Anne Heaney dau, Henry Heaney Annaghydoo in Ematris on 17th Sept 1847 ....Sarah's sister Mary Heaney dau of Henry Heaney of Annaghydoo married John Latimer son, David Latimer of Drumcall on 12th Jan 1854, both U.21...William Bell son of David Bell of Clonfad, Currin Parish married Jane Heaney dau,William Heaney Annaghydoo on 17th Aug 1853...

I just noted these to see if there were any other Hall connections.

Not sure if any of these connect with yours,

Dave Hall.
    Hi Dave, is there any chance your Annaghydoo is Annaghyduff in Ematris?

My ggg-grandmother was Margaret Heney/Heaney b.1831 at Annaghyduff in Ematris, County Monaghan. her father William Heney is listed in the 1830 Tithe Applotment at Annaghyduff. Also in 1830 there is a Henry Heney (Sr) and Henry Heney (Jr) at Annaghyduff - I am assuming they could be brother+nephew or father+brother to my William Heney. Margaret Heney married Joseph Hawthorne at Ematris 24 Dec 1851. She died 1902 at Corballyquill, County Cavan.

Hall/Swan

Default monaghan-ematris

I have Ematris photographed https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/i.../target59.html

Erected in memory | of | HENRY HEANEY | Tomaney | died 5th April 1838 | aged 84 years | SARAH HEANEY |
    died 5th May 18?? | aged 68 years | ANNIE MARIA HEANEY | died 8th November | aged 33 years | ELIZABETH HEANEY | died 25th February ???? | aged ? years | (MAGGIE?) HEANEY | died 23rd ????? 1894 | aged 32 years |ALEXANDER HEANEY | died 28th April 1847 | aged 83 years |

also https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/i.../target58.html

If one goes to https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/index.htm and selects any county then Headstones one gets photographs of cemeteries taken by volunteers. There is also a Search facility!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Parents of Robert and Anne

Hello Clones1819,
    It's been years since your original post but hopefully you will get to read this.
    John and Anne are my GGGGgrandparents. I found a tree on Ancestry that had this Heaney line. It seems that John's parents were James Heaney and Anne Jane Heaney. I don't have names for Anne's parents but I do have their birth years: 1765.
    I would love to know if you had any more progress with your research of these Heaney's of Monaghan and if you would care to share any of the records. I am new to genealogy and am still learning.
    I can also share the tree I learned my info from and it has info about siblings, heading down generations. My GGGgrandfather was Robert Heaney born 1819. And my GG grandfather was Robert Heaney born 1850, brother of Mary.
    Thanks and hope to hear from you soon,
    Kimie

Quote Originally Posted by Clones1819 View Post
    The Clones Church of Ireland baptism & marriage records have now appeared on the family search IGI. Hurray!

I have found that John Heaney married Anne Farrell in 1811. Their children were James b1814, Mary b1816, Robert b1818 and Elizabeth b1821. The surname has been transcribed as Heany & Heney rather than Heaney.

Strangely I can't find a baptism record for Mary b1843 who had herself as being born in Clones on the UK 1911 Census. I also can't find her cousin John b1842 or marriage records for Robert & Ann and James & Mary Jane. Perhaps Mary heard her father talking about Clones and assumed she was born there. I also can't find any baptism records for the Alford sisters. Perhaps they were from a neighbouring parish such as Killeevan and that is where the missing marriages & baptisms took place. I note that Killeevan, Currin, Drummully & Aghabog were under the Union of Clones. There is a Joseph Alford in Killeevan on the Griffith's Valuation. If anyone comes accross any of these records please let me know.

I have also found that in Clones there was a Robert Heany b1796 and brother William b 1798, parents James & Grace. Perhaps these could be the brothers and parents of my John Heaney. The 1811 marriage record on the IGI does not show the fathers names or witness names or townland. Does anyone know whether the LDS transcribe all the details from the microfilm on to the IGI as the information always seems very basic. Are the microfilm records likely to have townland, parents names, witnesses, godparents, priest etc?