blue wren

Question WW1 Mention in Despatches research

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me find out how to access the Mention in Despatches section in Documents on line (TNA). I am trying to find information about my great uncle Lt Cyrus Radcliffe Eller who was mentioned in despatches during his WW1 army service.

I have tried a few different ways but have been unsuccessful. Can anybody tell me how to go about this please?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by blue wren
    I was hoping that someone may be able to help me find out how to access the Mention in Despatches section in Documents on line (TNA).
    They are not available on Documents Online - Documentsonline only has the following records relating to the army these for RN and RM and thse for RAF. The only place you are likely to locate the record of him being mentioned is using the London Gazette.

I am trying to find information about my great uncle Lt Cyrus Radcliffe Eller who was mentioned in despatches during his WW1 army service.
    Try a search of the Gazette just using the surname to begin with; for example this entry shows his appointment as a Second Lieutenant in 1915 - have a go at searching for yourself and see if you can locate any other relevant entries.

Reputation beyond repute

You may also be interested in this research guide

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You may also be interested in this research guide
    Which will presumably lead to this entry in TNA's catalogue - Lieut C R ELLER - Note - this is just a catalogue entry, although you may be able to order a copy (for a fee) by clicking the 'request this' button.

blue wren

Question

Hi Geoffers and Peter

Thank you very much for the info and links. I have visited them all and found 3 references to my gt uncle. One for his commissioning and two for promotions. I have seen his war service file and that has a lot of good information. I have recently purchased a copy of Men of Dukinfield by Mike Pavasovic and it is in this publication that it states he was Mentioned in Despatches. I have spanned the years 1914 to 1920 in the London Gazette and there is no reference to him as being mentioned in despatches - maybe I am following the red herring! Cannot think of where else to look or maybe it is just not on record.

Thank you both for your input - it is much valued

Blue wren

Sue Light

I think there were two sorts of mentions, 'A' mentions and 'B' mentions. 'A' mentions were in the London Gazette, and normally referred to one special area of service deserving of the mention, whereas 'B' mentions were part of large general lists of those who had given good/loyal service, but they were never published in the LG.
    I might have got some of the detail wrong here, but I know it was something along those lines.

Sue

blue wren

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your input. Looks like I might have to broaden my research base to find an answer to this inquiry.

Cheers
    Blue wren

My grandfather was also 'mentioned in dispatches' and I have not been able to find out what was 'mentioned' either! I would be interested if you manage to find out how!