Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    earthmother

Default A very distinctively named Clayton

Having finally found my fabled Romanies, I have, for the obvious reasons, ground to a halt.

My 4th great grandmother has a very distinctive name, and at least 10 children, so I was wondering if anyone had come across either the name in general, or even maybe the family itself.

The censuses disagree on several counts, so whilst I have settled on Bazenia for the time being, you may know her as Bazina, Bayenia, Bayioners, Bayionew, Barunia, Bazaina or Bayaina Clayton, born c1832 in Northamptonshire.

She was married to Job and travelled around the Midlands (5 counties of birth between them all), managing to end up around Ashby De La Zouch for the census each time, and appearing to settle there for a time at least around the late 1870s/early 1880s.

Having compiled the census returns from 1871-1901 and checked FreeBMD and IGI, the children (that I know of) were Mary Ann, Cornelius, Harriett (mine), Maria, Jemima, Job, Isaiah, Edith, Ada and Syberana/Sabrina.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any information, or an idea where to start looking - I'm a relative beginner, and even more so when it comes to something like Romanies, so I'd be very grateful.

cherylstonebrid

I guess you have found these on Free BMD

Deaths Mar 1930

Clayton Bazina 100 Ashby Z. 7a 129

Job died 1908:-

Deaths Mar 1908

Clayton Job 75 Ashby Z. 7a 64

Cheryl

Nicolina

how about these from the 1911 Census:

CLAYTON CORNELIUS M 1857 54 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    CLAYTON FANNY F 1861 50 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    CLAYTON JOB M 1885 26 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    CLAYTON REGINALD M 1887 24 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    CLAYTON BAZINA F 1891 20 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    CLAYTON VIOLET F 1895 16 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire

Nicolina

and also from the 1911 Census:

CLAYTON BAZIENER F 1833 78 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    HOLLAND ISAIAH M 1873 38 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    HOLLAND EDITH F 1876 35 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    HOLLAND FLORENCE F 1899 12 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    HOLLAND JOHN M 1903 8 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire
    HOLLAND HENRY M 1907 4 Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire

and
    Marriages Jun 1894
    Clayton Edith Ashby Z. 7a 149
    Holland Isaiah Ashby Z. 7a 149

earthmother

Thank you both

I hadn't found the deaths no - not sure why though, unless they are a recent upload (not checked this family there for a month or more). I think maybe Bazina's age is a little exaggerated though - nice as it would be to have someone reach 100, and I think maybe the family thought that at the time, all the census reports indicate she'd be nearer the 97/98 mark. I need to track down a baptism and hopefully confirm/disprove her actual age.

I was aware of Cornelius and Edith and their families, but hadn't got to the 1911, so that is new to me too.

It would be lovely to find a bit about Bazina and Jobs lives - theirs is the tale that got me interested in the family tree almost a quarter of a century ago, it's only been recently I could actually do anything about it - since then they and their progeny just keep throwing up new little questions

cherylstonebrid

Have you considered this as a possible baptism from IGI

Bayene Holland

Christening: 22 FEB 1835 South Kilworth, Leicester, England

Parents:
    Father: THOMAS HOLLAND Family
    Mother: SARAH

Sarah being the daughter of Diana Clayton and William Smith

cherylstonebrid

Bazina is mentioned in George Smith's book about Gypsy Lives... the title escapes me but it is a free download. Quite a lengthy book but lots of familiar names in it.

ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ft...-h/28548-h.htm

Cheryl

earthmother

Hi - I hadn't come across that IGI listing - to be honest I'm not sure I ever would as I wouldn't have thought to search for the name - but it is possible it could be her, as she states her place of birth as North Killoth/Kilboth (Kilworth) on census returns.

The link is very interesting, although I'm not sure that Bazena is mine, as at one point the book describes her as an old lady, but my Bazina would only have been in her early 40s at the time the book was published. The part about her being high caste does ring true though as the family story says she was a Princess.

It is going to be fascinating confirming all of this, thank you

atella

Hi, A book recently available as

website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/pubs6d.html

THE FAMILY TREES OF
    FRANCIS & MARY CLAYTON
    AND JOHN & MARY BOOTH

I think this is what your looking for hope its the correct people

This shows Job and Barzene / Bazaina Its a really interesting family tree the site above shows the book price etc

Job Clayton together with a Holland ie Barzene / Bazaina
    Hope this helps

Atella
    Last edited by MarkJ; 30-11-2009 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Commercial link edited. Please see AUP

earthmother

Thank you atella - do you know if it's the sort of publication that might be available in a library? If not I'm going to have to wait to see if Santa brings me any pennies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast