Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thomasin

Thank you ALL very much for all this digging. It has thrown up some surprises, I must say. I did suspect that Thomas might have gone to Australia, perhaps with William, but could find no evidence from this side. I found the marriage of Thomas and Lillian, but obviously I was following the wrong Lillian and children on the census.

I've got to go out now, but I'll digest this all later. Very much appreciated!

Thomasin

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Default Port Fairy cemetery burials

buried Port Fairy cemetery, Victoria
    (some details gleaned from Ian Marr's Headstones Index)

Lillian Guyatt died 27 December 1928, aged 70, wife of Thomas, mother of Lillian, grandmother of Llelayne Dryvynsyde.
    Thomas George Guyatt, 83, died 8 November 1943, husband of Lillian

Lillian Victoria Guyatt, died 9 July 1965, daughter of Thomas and Lillian
    Thomas George Guyatt, died 25 Jul 1906, age 20
    Beatrice Kate Guyatt, 76, died 23 December 1977
    William Bertram Guyett, died 2 February 1962, aged 70

Ernest Paul Guyett, 70, died 5 Apr 1968, husband of Viola
    Viola Lucilla Lauisa "Lola" Guyett, aged 90, died 27 November 1985

some others too, I will work out who they are are.
    ChristineR

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Well that was fun
    Marriages are from the Digger Great War Index 1914-1920

John Blackwell GUYETT married Muriel Janet SOMMERVILLE in 1915, reg # 1421
    -- Muriel's death was registered at Warrnambool in 1981, aged 89.
    John died 10 June 1956, age 55; Muriel on 10 October 1981, both buried Warrnambool cemetery, have a headstone. There are other GUYETT people there as well of a younger vintage.

Norman Francis GUYETT married Agnes Olive CARRISON 1918, #5682
    -- Agnes Olive GUYETT, death registered at Geelong, Victoria 1945, aged 51
    parents recorded as Robt Carrison and Elizth Mcarthur
    If you google "Geelong Cemetery Trust" you can do a deceased search and find their burial details, gives dates of death and service dates and some dates of birth. Norman George and Reginald are two of their sons. Presumably it is Reg's wife buried with him. (the death index only goes to 1985 and I do not have access to the 1921-1942 marriage index).

William Bertram GUYETT married Elizabeth OHALLORAN 1920, #4773
    -- Elizabeth GUYETT is buried in Port Fairy too, she died 1936, age on headstone is 46. Her death registration records her parents as Roderick OHalloran and Bridget Hogan, and gives her age as 45.
    It appears that William may have married again, he has a different headstone reference on the cd than Elizabeth. The consecutive number belongs to a Emily Victoria GUYETT who died 14 Dec 1976, age 89. Her death registration at Warrnambool, Victoria, records her parents as Frederic GUINN and Emily Philli RUNDELL.

Two other burials at Port Fairy, Christine M GUYETT, died 6 March 1956, age 6. Death registration shows that she is the daughter of Kevin Bertram and Nancy EDWARDS - she appears to be buried with Elizabeth GUYETT (William's wife). Her mother, Nancy GUYETT died in 1970, aged 47 and is buried at Port Fairy.

I have probably left some loose ends, so please query. (in this thread)
    ChristineR

Thomasin

I am absolutely overwhelmed - but pleasantly so! I am still going through the first link posted by ennael, reams of WWI records and later, and have found there some of the more recent people that ChristineR mentions. It's going to take me some time to work through all the data. Thank you again very, very much everybody.

Thomasin

Thomasin

Thank you all again, especially Christine. All this information has given me so many extras, but one piece of evidence is still missing. What happened to William and Louisa's daughter, Jessima Alice Guyett?

I wonder whether the name Jessima was mistaken for Jemima, or whether she was registered as Jemima and the name misread. Could even be Jessic(c)a!

There were four or five years between all their children (while Thomas and Lilian were having children like shelling peas), and then poor William lost his wife and presumably two daughters. How far is Keilor, where Winifred was born in 1897, from Essendon, where Louisa died in the same year? Oh, and what happened to Winifred?

Sorry, more questions!

Leanne - I can't get any results at all from your link to the BMDs for NSW. Is it me? The link to the WWI records is fantastic.

Thomasin

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    How far is Keilor, where Winifred was born in 1897, from Essendon, where Louisa died in the same year?
    About 6 miles.

Thomasin

Cor, Jan, how did you know that?

I suspect problems after childbirth, do you?

Thomasin

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    Cor, Jan, how did you know that?
    Google is my friend.

I suspect problems after childbirth, do you?

Thomasin
    It could well be.

Thomasin

Default One more question

Quote Originally Posted by ennael View Post
    there are 2 digitised war service records for men with father Thomas George GUYETT on:
    https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx
    There are actually four, Leanne - and a lot of the others are descendants of Thomas and Lillian. So that was a brilliant find of yours.

Apart from my questions on Jessima and Winifred Ellen, I also have what just might be my final one on this subject. That is the burning question - when and how did Thomas and Lillian arrive in Australia? They married in 1884 at Cranbrook (Hawkhurst was Lillian's family home) and their firstborn arrived in 1886 at Numurkah (golly, these names are awkward for us over here). So did they set out more or less straight after the wedding?

Jane - yes, it looks as if they are still funeral directors, although from their letter headings preserved in the above link, that seems to have been more of a sideline at first. I can't get into the site at the moment, but from memory I think it said 'Guyett and Sons Timber Merchants' or something of that ilk.

Thomasin

spison

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    Thos Geo GUYETT, died aged 83, 1943, death reg at Port Fairy
    Father: Guyett John
    Mother: Sarah LEE
    Reg Number: 22585
    This funeral notice was on the NLA site but was in pink so will be available later for a thorough read. The NLA is being added to constantly - you were lucky they were in Victoria as the Sydney papers for this period won't be on until at the earliest next year.

Jane

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast