Staceyp

Default HELP - PLEASE, FYAL SURNAME

I have been able to find a marriage between Andrew Wallace and Betty Fyal in Carnbee, Scotland but for some reason cannot trace her parents. Betty was born c1775 in Carnbee and married c1796 also in Carnbee.
    Any assistance will be much appreciated.

busyglen

Hi Stacey,

I tried looking on Family Search at the IGI records, and came away very confused! I did a search under Fyal only which brought up quite a few records in Carnbee. I did wonder if possibly Betty was short for Elizabeth and looked for a name in Carnbee that might be her mother. However....I found an Elizabeth b. 1751 with spouse of Andrew Wallace! I also found the marriage record that you have of Betty in 1796 which also shows her being married to Andrew Wallace! I know these records can be suspect, and now wonder if you have the correct record? There were only two Betty Fyal on the list, but that doesn't mean that there weren't more.

Sorry if I've muddied the waters. Obviously it would be better if you could get the Parish Records, but I am not sure about Scotland as this is a new area for me.

Glenys

Staceyp

Tks Glenys - I did look up the on line Parish Records but they only give the marriage details not the parents names unfortunately. I might start again and triple check I am on the right line.

Cheers
    Stacey

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Staceyp View Post
    I did look up the on line Parish Records but they only give the marriage details not the parents names
    Stacey, you mention Elizabeth/Betty Fyal(l) was born c1775 in Carnbee and married c1796 also in Carnbee.
    If by "on-line Parish Records" you mean the on-line IGI at familysearch.org, you should be cautious of accepting these vague "member-submitted" dates, without other evidence to back them up.
    You can only rely on entries "extracted" from the OPR (Old Parish Registers of births and marriages). These have a Batch Number beginning C or M.

I couldn't find a reliable birth entry for Elizabeth/Betty Fyal(l).

Andrew Walace and Elizabeth Fyal married 11 Dec. 1772. (Carnbee Batch M114137).

Six christenings were registered in Carnbee OPR (Batch C114122).
    1773 John
    1775 Isabel
    1777 Janet
    1780 Janet
    1782 John
    1788 Andrew
    (Search on father: Andrew Wallace, mother: Elizabeth Fyal; then search again on Andrew Wallace and Elizabeth FyalL).
    IGI Batch Numbers are explained here https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....htm#PageTitle
    -----
    How did you arrive at Andrew Wallace and Betty Fyal - are you researching one of their children?

The original marriage record could be viewed on-line at scotlandspeople (a pay-per-view site) or in person at the archives in Edinburgh. However, more often than not, the names of the parents weren't registered.

Staceyp

Hi Mary - thanks for your response, the on-line Parish records I was referring to is on Scotlands People and I will look for Elizabeth Fyal and see if I can locate the original marriage record.
    Andrew and Betty are the 7 x grandparents of my new grandson Ben (9 months) they are his mother's Ancestors.
    Cheers
    Stacey

JAP1

Default LDS Submissions in the IGI

Hello staceyp,

As you have been warned above, entries in the IGI submitted by members of the LDS need to be treated with great caution. Sometimes they are reliable and provide good pointers but sometimes they are nothing more than wild guesses.

Be particularly wary of submitted entries which have 'About' in front of the date, and 'Of' in front of the location.

This is very well demonstrated by the following submitted entries which are all over the place (I may have missed some!).
    *Andrew WALACE born About 1747, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland; Spouse, unavailable
    and
    *Andrew WALACE born About 1747, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland; Spouse, Elizabeth FYAL
    and
    *Elizabeth FYAL born About 1751, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland; Spouse, Andrew WALACE
    and
    *Elizabeth FYAL born About 1758, Of Cameron, Fife, Scotland
    and
    *Andrew WALLACE (born About 1756, Of Cameron, Fife, Scotland) and Elizabeth FYALL (born About 1760, Of Cameron, Fife, Scotland) married About 1781, Of Cameron, Fife, Scotland
    and
    *Andrew WALLACE (born About 1771, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland) and Betty FYAL (born About 1775, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland) married About 1796, Of Carnbee, Fife, Scotland

All of the above can safely be ignored.

Regards,

JAP

JAP1

Default More births/baptisms

Hi again Stacey,

I came across a couple more births/baptisms for WALLACE (var)/FYAL (var) children - a James Weemys WALLACE and an Archbald WALLACE.

So now we have (all entries extracted by the LDS from church registers):
    Marriage - Andrew WALLACE & Elizabeth FYAL, 11 Dec 1772, Carnbee, Fife

Possible Children (may or may not be from the above marriage):

*John WALACE, Andrew WALACE/Elizabeth FYAL, b 12 Oct bap 17 Oct 1773, Carnbee
    *Isabel WALACE, Andrew WALACE/Elizabeth FYAL, b 22 May bap 28 May 1775, Carnbee
    *Janet WALACE, Andrew WALACE/Elizabeth FYAL, b 18 Jan bap 19 Jan 1777, Carnbee
    *Janet WALLACE, Andrew WALLACE/Elizabeth FYAL, b 13 Jun bap 18 Jun 1780, Cameron
    *John WALLACE, Andrew WALLACE/Elizabeth FYALL, bap 18 Aug 1782, Cameron
    *James Weemys WALLACE, Andrew WALLACE/Betty FIAL, b 26 Jan bap 29 Jan 1786, Carnbee
    *Andrew WALLACE, Andrew WALLACE/Betty FYAL, b 24 Dec 1788, bap 4 Jan 1789, Carnbee
    *Archbald WALLACE, Andrew WALLACE/Betty FYAL, b 19 Mar bap 26 Mar 1797, Carnbee

Which of the children is the one who is little Ben's ancestor?

Regards,

JAP

Staceyp

Hi JAP
    Archibald WALLACE is Ben's Ancestor. He married Anne Lauder.

Cheers
    Stacey G