Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Holy Cross Church Leicester

Does anyone have information on the graveyard for this church c 1835

lainie3961

Hi,

A reply was a long time coming - but what information exactly did you want?

Elaine

fogmog

Hi Elaine
    If anyone is there, I too, am trying to find information on a St. Mary's Catholic
    Church in Chilvers Coton, Nuneaton. Have been to area but can't find church
    or burial ground.
    Fogmog

Reputation beyond repute

If anyone is there, I too, am trying to find information on a St. Mary's Catholic
    Church in Chilvers Coton, Nuneaton. Have been to area but can't find church
    or burial ground.
    If you use the GenUKI Church database, all will be revealed

https://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churches

https://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/chu...CCC=WAR,ID=596

Hi Elaine
    Not at home just now so have little detail to hand. I remember being told that someone had been buried in the churchyard at Holy Cross but that the graveyard was no longer there. Do you know what happened ,i.e ahst happened to the ground ,what happened to the remains?
    I recall the person concerned was born c 1890, but can't remeber his name and do not know when he died. Not much help eh?

Thanks for getting in touch. Hope you can help.

Maggie

lainie3961

Hi Fogmog,

I think that we are talking about different churches - the church I was referring to was the Holy Cross Church in Whitwick Leicester. So I dont think I can be of any help whatsoever!!! Sorry!! :-(

lainie3961

Hi Maggie,

It sounds like you maybe talking about the Holy Cross Church in Whitwick Leicester - but if you could please confirm? The reason I am thinking this is because the graveyard, although it remains, has very little in the way of gravestones, and is on the other side of the road from the church now. I assume that the remains are still in the church graveyard - but have not gotten around to checking out the records which are now kept at Nottingham yet.

I do not, unfortunately, live locally - so cannot offer to look for you - however without a name - so ....you are correct in thinking that your information is not much help. lol There are other members, however, who do live locally, so it may be that if you provide a name they may offer to look for you??

All the best Maggie - let me know how you progress?

Default Holy Cross Church Leicester

Hi lainie

It is indeed the Holy Cross in Leicester. Actually i haven't lived in Leicester for many years, but do occasionally visit. I guess I was hoping someone may have some info on the graveyard. My dad ,grandad & brother used to go to Mass there many years ago, so I should probably know more than I do. I know records for the catholic dicese is in Nottingham so perhaps that;,s my best bet. In fact I did get my dad's baptism certificate ( he was baptised at Holy Cross in 1917) from Nottingham. I guess a long time ago now.
    I'm sure you know much about the church but it started life as a priory for dominican monks I think.
    I need to be a bit more proactive I think. I pick up 'blanks' every now & then to see if there is any further information available.
    Actually ever now & then I come across a real break through which is wonderful.
    The person I'm referring to for the burial was the friend of one of my grandad's eldest brother's sons so has not been high priority. It would be good to solve the mystery though.

Incidently I lived in Whitwick for a few years several years ago and do know of the church there though never visited it.

Thanks for all the help.
    Will keep you posted with any breakthrough

fogmog

Red face Re Church request

Hi lianie
    Please excuse my ignorance I didn't realise the thread was restricted to
    the Holy Cross Church. Sorry

lainie3961

Smile

No need to apologise at all fogmog! I am sorry that I cannot help you with your query!

All the very best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast