Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Mollard - James and Maria

As mentioned on one of my earlier threads, I assembled all my known or suspected details on the above Mollard's. Here goes:

James Mollard
    James Mollard was born July 1 1821 in Germoe, Cornwall.. He was the son of John and Alice - nee Tyack. James was one of 8 or 9 children born between May 19, 1817 and Apri 22, 1832.

James appears to have been married prior to to his marriage to Maria. I believe his 1st wife was a Nancy - nee Ralph - possibly around 1843-44 as a daughter Elizatheth born around 1845 and a son James born around 1847 are known to be living with them. Nancy appears to have died in 1853. In 1855 James married Maria - nee Piper who had previously been married twice before. They had 2 children Alice born in 1856 and Ellen born in 1860. Itis believed that this Ellen Mollard married John Eustice Ball in the early 1880's and is my Great-Grandmother.

James was a Tin Miner is Germoe and so far haven't researched census records since 1861 to determine where they lived or where James died.

Marie Piper
    It would appear that Maria was born in Germoe in the summer or fall of 1815
    A possible line on parents is James Piper born September 1783 and Ann Down. They were married January 27, 1804 in Germoe. If this be so, then James's parents could be John and Mary - nee Richards who were married November 28, 1776.

Maria appears to have had little schooling and was illiterate. As a result, by the late 1820's she was probably working in some type of service industry.

Maria's marriage history is somewhat daunting. Her marriage certificate to James Mollard reads - Piper, previously Andrew formerly Beaglehole.

Husband #1 - married James Andrewartha - May 15, 1837 -in Germoe. No idea what happened to him or possible children. The name could have been abbreviated on the certicate of marriage to James Mollard.

Husband #2 - married Henry Beaglehole - she was described as Widow - in Breage - February 2, 1840. She and Henry had 5 children of which 4 are known [at this point]
    Elizabeth A. - born 1841
    Emma - born 1844
    Henry - born 1846
    Maria P. - born 1849

The 1861 census shows James and Maria along with his 2 children from his 1st marriage, her 4 children from her 2nd 2nd marriage, their own 2 children all lving in Germoe and with the the exception Elizabeth [who was aGeneral Servant] all the others were involved in some capacity with the Tin mines.

I sure hope thiis is my kin otherwise it's back to the 'drawing board'

Colin

1871 census: Class: RG10; Piece: 2308; Folio: 82; Page: 11
    Trenall

James MOLLARD 50 Tin Miner b Germoe
    Mariah wife 53 b Germoe
    Alice T. dau 15 dressmaker b Germoe
    Ellen dau 11 scholar b Germoe

1881 Census: RG11; Piece: 2326; Folio: 121; Page: 13
    Trenall

James MOLLARD 60 Tin Miner b Germoe
    Maria wife 64 b Germoe
    Alice T. JENNINGS mar dau 25 dressmaker b Germoe
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 31-08-2009 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Added 1881
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Colin Rowledge

Hi Sue
    This seems to fit as Maria was a few years older than James. Were Maria's children also living there or was my earlier info. incorrect?
    Thanks

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi Sue
    This seems to fit as Maria was a few years older than James. Were Maria's children also living there or was my earlier info. incorrect?
    Thanks

Colin
    Alice and Ellen were the only children in the same household. The children from the first marriage had probably married and moved away by 1871 or at least moved out to find work.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    1871 census: Class: RG10; Piece: 2308; Folio: 82; Page: 11
    Trenall

James MOLLARD 50 Tin Miner b Germoe
    Mariah wife 53 b Germoe
    Alice T. dau 15 dressmaker b Germoe
    Ellen dau 11 scholar b Germoe

1881 Census: RG11; Piece: 2326; Folio: 121; Page: 13
    Trenall

James MOLLARD 60 Tin Miner b Germoe
    Maria wife 64 b Germoe
    Alice T. JENNINGS mar dau 25 dressmaker b Germoe
    Hi it's the pest again

Ellen would not be on the 1881 census as she married John Estice Ball in, I believe 1880.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi it's the pest again

Ellen would not be on the 1881 census as she married John Estice Ball in, I believe 1880.
    Nope - she married John Ball in 1883.

March quarter 1883
    Redruth district volume 5c page 368

Mark

Colin Rowledge

There was a slight typo in my original post. I believe James Piper's parents were either
    James Piper and Ann Down - born 1783
    or
    John Piper and Mary Richards - born 1776

Both James and John were born in Germoe and may have been brothers.

Have I confused everyone?

MarkJ

In 1881, Ellen Mollard was working as an "under laundress" at a hotel in Chapel Street, Madron, near Penzance.

RG11 piece 2346 folio 56 page 8

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    In 1881, Ellen Mollard was working as an "under laundress" at a hotel in Chapel Street, Madron, near Penzance.

RG11 piece 2346 folio 56 page 8

Mark
    Hi Mark.
    Could we find the name of the hotel and the duties of such a position?
    Thanks

MarkJ

The census reference states it was a hotel at 60, Chapel Street, Madron. No idea what the hotel was called though...

Under laundress I suspect was a basic position, working in the hotel laundry. Probably sorting and washing sheets etc. She is classed as a servant, so it won't be anything too exciting I expect!

Mark

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast