Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    The census reference states it was a hotel at 60, Chapel Street, Madron. No idea what the hotel was called though...

Under laundress I suspect was a basic position, working in the hotel laundry. Probably sorting and washing sheets etc. She is classed as a servant, so it won't be anything too exciting I expect!

Mark
    Thanks

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    There was a slight typo in my original post. I believe James Piper's parents were either
    James Piper and Ann Down - born 1783
    or
    John Piper and Mary Richards - born 1776

Both James and John were born in Germoe and may have been brothers.

Have I confused everyone?
    The birth uears relate to Mr. Piper not the spouse

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    The census reference states it was a hotel at 60, Chapel Street, Madron. No idea what the hotel was called though...

Under laundress I suspect was a basic position, working in the hotel laundry. Probably sorting and washing sheets etc. She is classed as a servant, so it won't be anything too exciting I expect!

Mark
    Just an add to Marks post, I googled Chapel Street Maldron, and found the Cornwall on-line census for 1881, it is interesting that the Laundress (Ellens boss) is a Mary A PIPER.

Hope this helps
    Ref RG11/2346/57/9

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

Keyboard86

Address should read Chapel Street MADRON, not Maldron!

Best regards
    keyboard86

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Just an add to Marks post, I googled Chapel Street Maldron, and found the Cornwall on-line census for 1881, it is interesting that the Laundress (Ellens boss) is a Mary A PIPER.

Hope this helps
    Ref RG11/2346/57/9

Best Regards
    Keyboard86
    Hi
    I found the same reference in the 1881 crnsus but didn't 'cotton on to it'. Since Mary A. was aged 34 and unmarried [in 1881] that would make her born around 1845, could she have been a daughter of Maria's uncles or other relative?

Could someone check the 1851 census for this?

Thanks

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi
    I found the same reference in the 1881 crnsus but didn't 'cotton on to it'. Since Mary A. was aged 34 and unmarried [in 1881] that would make her born around 1845, could she have been a daughter of Maria's uncles or other relative?

Could someone check the 1851 census for this?

Thanks
    Hi Colin, this looks like her in 1851 shown as daughter to James and Jane living in Germoe Cornwall aged about 8, shown with other siblings.

Ref HO 107/1913/484/22

Hope this helps, any more info let me know.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard86 View Post
    Hi Colin, this looks like her in 1851 shown as daughter to James and Jane living in Germoe Cornwall aged about 8, shown with other siblings.

Ref HO 107/1913/484/22

Hope this helps, any more info let me know.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86
    Or maybe this one Mary Ann Piper with same birth place as shown on 1881(Braegh) but shown as born abt 1840, living as daughter of John and Ann.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86 Ref HO 107/2032/299/5

Keyboard86

Hi Colin, should have pointed out on last post they are living in Dudley Worcestershire.

Best regards
    Keyboard86

Colin Rowledge

I'm just coming back to this thread, and after re-reading the responses, i am a little confused. For me, this is not unusual!!

Maria was born mid-late 1815 in Germoe - cannot be certain as I have only a possibility of parents:
    James Piper born Sept. 1783 in Germoe & Ann Down [date & place of birth unknown]

Maria's daughter [Ellen] on her 3rd marriage - to James Mollard - had a daughter that they called Ellen and was born December 8, 1859

I have determined that at the time of the 1881 census, Ellen Mollard was employed at a hotel in Penzance - the Union Hotel at 60 Chapel Street. In 1881 her occupation was 'Under-Laundress' and her mentor/supervisor was one Mary A. PIPER. aged 34 and unmarried.

Mary A. Piper appears to have been born around 1847. One possible link to her parents is James and Jane Piper [1851 census] with other siblings of [presumably Mary A.] and living in Germoe

I am not aware of siblings for James Piper so if I have the right parent for Maria, could there be a relationship between Maria Piper born c.1815 and Mary A. Piper born c.1847?

Thanks

Colin Rowledge

Reactivating this thread - more info to follow shortly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast