sueannbowen

Default Merchant Seaman - died in a foriegn port

I have a relative who died in South America in the 1940's. Apparently it was a tragic accident. He is buried there but there was an inquest which was held at Clapham some time after. No idea when though. I do know roughly which year he died. I can 'see' his Seamans record on the National Archive Index referrred to in another thread on this board as he is the first one on the page.

Can anyone tell me why there would have been an inquest here and if there might be any records of it? would they have issued a death certificate for someone who died abroad?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sue
    ps cannot put his name up here as it is too recent but PM me if it would help.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen
    I have a relative who died in South America in the 1940's. Apparently it was a tragic accident. He is buried there but there was an inquest which was held at Clapham some time after......Can anyone tell me why there would have been an inquest here
    If he was British and cause of death was suspicious, unknown, or could not be ascertained or certified by a doctor who had treated him for the cause of death, then the Coroner would have been notified as a matter of course.

and if there might be any records of it?
    There will be records of the inquest, they should remain closed for 75 years. Newspaper reports of inquests are often easier to access.

Is his death included in the index of overseas deaths?

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Is his death included in the index of overseas deaths?
    Well Geoffers I know this sounds bonkers but I never thought to look for records like that. Now I have - the answer is yes.

So does that mean I could order a certificate? It is here Deaths , GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1903 to 1965) 1946 - 1950 on FMP.

Feel daft now.
    S

Geoffers

With a reference from the marine deaths index, you can order a copy of the certificate from the GRO.