Thread: seaman ???

genewizard

Default seaman ???

Hi between 1861 and 1870 I have a relative who is listed on census and birth and marriage certificates as a "seaman" does this mean he was in the merchant navy or the regular navy or something else, I believe he probably started as an apprentice seamen are there any online records I can search for this period
    thank you
    genewizard

Jan1954

Hi there,

Well, without knowing which type of seaman he was, it might be a bit difficult.

To start with, My Ancestor Was a Merchant Seaman may help you. Also, if you establish that he was a member of the Royal Navy, then the various TNA research guides could also help.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi
    What is his name and approximate date of birth.
    Try a search at the National Archives to see if his name pops up for the merchant navy etc.

Jane

genewizard

Hi Jane is name is James Gosling he was born c1842 and from around 1860 he was lining in Hebburn county Durham though I don't know where he was born

Nicolina

if he lived in Hebburn whilst he was a seaman then I would expect him being in the Merchant Navy

genewizard

thanks Nicolina does that mean the Tyne and Wear archives should have him listed somewhere in their collections

Nicolina

I don't know what T & W actually have in the way of Records. Have just checked their webpage and they do have "Board of Trade Crew Lists and Agreements 1863 - 1913" also " Records of Merchant Shipping and Seamen" which might help. There are also some collections from various Missions to Seamen but they may not be of much help.