Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HANNAH DE LARA AND HENRY RUSSELL

For researchers interested in the history of Henry Russell ( originally Levy- son of Moses Russell and Sarah Levine) b 24 Dec 1812 Sheerness Kent d 8 Dec 1900- he married Hannah De Lara b 6 Sept 1844 d 15 March 1922. Hannah was the daughter of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour and David Laurent ( Cohen) De Lara.
    Sarah was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour surgeon dentist d 1837 and Simha Cohen De Lara.

Hannah and Henry had 2 sons- Henry R Russell who married 1 Nina da Costa Andrade and 2 Donna Shinn and 3 Lady Patricia Ethel Blackwood

Sir Landon Russell Ronald b 7 June 1873 married 1 Mimi Ettlinger 2 Mary Callison

Hannah had several siblings and these will be listed on another posting.

Hannah is related to the various Crawcour families listed under the various Crawcour postings. Her grandfather Isaac was the son of Samuel Crawcour b1748-1816 my 5 x great grandfather.
    Phillip

This post is the start of further posts on the Henry Russell- Isabella Lloyd-Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald lines. I have recently posted further data on Adelina De Lara aka Lottie Tilbury aka Preston and cited other threads which clearly showed the relationships through marriages between my Crawcour and Hart lines to the Russell/De Lara.
    Further research will be posted which shows the additional relationship through marriage between the Russell lines and my Jacobs/Hart paternal lines.

As a start, here is a summary of the Henry Russell 1812-1900 lines which descended from Moses aka Moshe Russell 1771-1857 and Sarah Levin 1779-1847. See Cemetery Scribes records for Moses Russell and Sarah Levin and their children. See also Israel Russell 1799-1884 ID 3347 who was a brother of Henry.
    Nb The Israel Russell line relates through his son Simon Henry Russell aka George Henry Russell through marriage to Catherine Virginia Levy daughter of Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs ( Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents) see Thread George Henry Russell-Catherine Virginia Levy started 9.3.2013.

There are numerous references to Henry Russell in a wide range of articles but the Jewish Chronicle obituary for Henry Russell plus further references to his sons born with Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald provide an important resource for the research into the various family relationships.
    In addition, Dan Russell in Australia has posted a detailed family history of The Russell Family ( see World Connect site and data from 2016 and earlier). Dan and I were in contact regarding the Crawcour/Jacobs/Levy relationships.

Jeremy I Pfeffer in his book From One End of the Earth to the other. The London Bet Din, 1805-1855, and the Jewish Convicts transported to Australia, Sussex Academic Press,2008;2010 wrote about the Russell family of Sheerness..."There is a tradition in the Russell family to this very day, that their ancestor was a German Jew named Levy who came to England early in the eighteenth century and that he had stipulated in his will that only those of his offspring who adopted English surnames would benefit from his estate. it would appear that his two children, Michael and Esther, for reasons unknown, chose the new name Russell. Unfortunately, there is no record of whom Michael Russell married but we do know the couple had six children; four boys Philip, Moses, Henry, Mark and two girls Rebecca and Esther, all born between 1763 and 1779...Michael Russell's two oldest sons, Philip and Moses married two sisters, Catherine and Sarah, daughters of one Mr Mordecai, at the New Synagogue in 1796 and 1798 respectively. Moses was a government clerk and the sixth of his and Sarah's nine children was Henry Russell, the renowned nineteenth century composer of popular songs." Pp214-215

Henry Russell 1812-1900 was to marry twice, the first to a non Jew Isabella Lloyd with whom he had 7 children and the second to Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald with whom he had two sons.

I will post data on each of the lines.

Phillip

As a follow up to the previous posts here is an initial outline of the children of Henry Russell from his 2 marriages:
    Henry Russell 1812-1900-Isabella Lloyd 1811-1886 -they were married St Pancras 2 April 1835. Their children- Isabella 1835-1886;Henry Lloyd 1837-1923;Charles Kirkam 1842-1846;William Clark 1844-1911;Frances (Fanny) Marcella 1845-1925;John Henry Sharpe 1849-1925;Emma 1855-

Henry Russell- Hannah de Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald 1844-1922-children:
    Henry (Ronald) 1871-1937; Landon Ronald 1873-1938

I will post data on each of the children and their marriages.

As previously posted the Russell line further relate via marriages to my Crawcour/Hart/Jacobs/Levy lines.

Much of the data on Henry Russell is taken from his Obituary which appeared in the Jewish Chronicle Dec 14,1900.
    Here is a extract from the obituary. I have omitted details on Henry Russell's musical life overseas in various countries including America and Canada as well as the UK. These appear in various online and other sources.
    "Henry Russell was born in Sheerness on December 24,1812. His father Moses Russell (Moshe Russell was his more familiar cognomen), held a Government appointment in that town. Moses Russell married a Miss Levin, of Koningsburg, a niece of Solomon Hirschell, and he died in 1857.
    Mr Matthias Levy ( a nephew of Mr Russell) in his work on the Western Synagogue, mentioned that at one time the Russell family were active members of the Congregation -in particular Israel Russell (Henry Russell's brother)....Mr Russell sang his last song in public about 35 years ago. It was a performance which he gave at Lancaster.. he was suddenly seized with a nervous shock. From that time he entirely abandoned his career.. In 1896 he was seized by a severe illness from which he happily recovered..
    Although Mr Russell having lived a wandering life for many years did not move prominently in Jewish circles, he had many close friends among his coreligionists, including Sir Moses Montefiore, the Rev A L Green and the Levy family ( of Daily Telegraph fame)... Sir Edward Lawson .. he has decribed as his'oldest and most valued friend..

Mr Russell twice married. His first wife was not of the Jewish faith, was a daughter of Lloyd the banker. Mr Russell always regretted having married out of his community. His second wife was Miss De Lara, member of a well known Jewish family, who tended him with great devotion in his latter years and survives him. Their youngest son Mr Landon Russell, the musician, was married a few years ago in the West London Synagogue.
    To the great surprise and disappointment of his Jewish friends and connections, Mr Russell was buried on Monday at Kensal Green Cemetery with Christian rites.This remarkable arrangement may perhaps be explained by the fact that his children by his first wife were brought up in the Christian faith, and that one of them the Rev.Henry Lloyd Russell, is a clergyman in the Church of England. The Rev. Mr Russell officiated on Monday, and he would not have been able to do so if his father had been buried in a Jewish Cemetery".

Whether or not Henry Russell wanted to be buried according to Church of England or Jewish rites is not known at present and he may have expressed no preference.

As the data on the births of the two sons with Hannah de Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald shows, Henry had a relationship with her during his marriage to Isabella and the boys were born illegitimate.

I will post further.

Phillip

The following census records show Henry Russell with his first wife Isabella and some of their children and also Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald:
    1861 (Copyright TNA) RG9 62 34 32
    104 Regent Street Westminster Middlesex
    Henry Russell H M 44 no occupation recorded and no details of birth place
    Isabella wife 49 no details
    Fanny dau 15 no details
    Emma dau 6 no details
    +1 servant

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG104 47 39
    17 Westbourne Park Paddington
    Henry Russell H M 56 Musician b Sheerness
    Isabella wife 59 b Birmingham
    +1 servant

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 91 17 1
    4 Hanover Square St George London )Oriental Club)
    Henry Russell M 67 NK b Kent

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 140 86 28
    11 Harley Street Cavendish Square Marylebone London

Emma L Ronald H M 36 Boarding house keeper b City of London
    Han???L son 7 b Middx Paddington
    Henry son 9 b Middx Paddington
    Rosie P MOORE niece 9 b St Pancras
    +4 servants + 3 visitors

Nb Rosie P Moore is the daughter of Semirah De Lara b 1831 and William Playters Moore a solicitor. Semirah De Lara is the daughter of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour

More data to follow.

Phillip

Henry Russell does not seem to appear in the 1851 Census. One reason maybe was that he was out of the country on tour. The Jewish Chronicle appears to support that speculation because his concerts were recorded from 1843 including articles relevant to him up to his death. I am aware that there are numerous newspaper articles relating to Henry Russell and his concerts including reference to his burial and the death of Hannah his wife.
    In 1843 the Jewish Chronicle reported ( March 17,1843) " A public concert..Mr Henry Russell the popular singer being about to return to the United States, made a hansome donation to the charity.(Western Society for clothing and educating Jewish Boys)..he was solicited to give a concert for its benefits-and consented.The performance was only practicable on the evening preceding his departure for America..."

There are reference to various donations by Henry Russell in the Jewish Chronicle but no references to concerts post 1843 and early 1850s. However, there is a reference to three of his nieces the daughters of his brother Israel Russell and Elizabeth Alexander ( see 1851 Anglo Jews data base -Jewish Gen and Cemetery Scribes for data on the children of Israel and Elizabeth.)
    The Russell Family ( Jewish Chronicle Nov 18,1853)
    "On Thursday evening the 10th inst. the Misses Annette,Charlotte and Maria Russell, nieces of Mr Henry Russell, the talented and popular singer, made their debut in London as songstresses, at a concert given at Marylebone Literary Institution, under the patronage of the Rothschild family."

The nieces were:
    Anna aka Ann aka Annette Russell b 1829=Edward Falcke; Charlotte Russell b 1837=William Henry Morton and then relationship with George Frederick Jefferery; Maria Russell b 1837 = Frederick Manasseh Brandon.

As posted on in the thread George Henry Russell-Catherine Virginia Levy started 9.3.2013- George Henry aka Simon Henry Russell was the son of Israel Russell/Elizabeth Alexander. The Levy/Jacobs line as per Catherine further related to the mother of Catherine who was Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs/Kitty Moses- these are the Jacobs aka Letson aka Litzen glass dealers/manufacturers and descended from David Jacobs aka Letson my 5x great grandfather.

In addition, as posted on Henry Russell's daughter Isabella married John aka Isaac Davies son of David Davies and Ann Crawcour and Henry through his marriage to Hannah De Lara also married into the Crawcour as did my 2 separate Hart lines.

Phillip

Various newspaper advertisements show that Henry Russell was touring throughout the UK during 1851- a summary show his performances in London Jan,April,August,Yorkshire April,Brighton May,Manchester July,Cork July,Coventry September, Oxford September,Sheffield September,Scotland Oct,Sheffield Oct,Dublin Oct.

Whether or not his wife and children travelled with him is not known.

Phillip

The Jewish Chronicle and other sources have referred to Moses Russell father of Henry Russell as being a Government Agent. There is currently no proof of his trade/employment. However, there is a record of a Moses Russell from Sheerness in The London Gazette 1816-
    Court of Relief for Insolvent Debtors. The petition of Moses Russell late of Sheerness County of Kent, slop seller,fruiterer, general dealer now prisoner of debt in King's Bench Prison County of Surrey.
    Whether or not he is one in the same as Moses Russell father of Henry and others remains to be confirmed.
    JewishGen UK data bases has a London Registered Insurance policy for Isaac LEVY butcher 12 West Street Lichfield Street Soho 18.12.1838-15.12.1843 with lodger Moses Russell.
    Isaac Levy was the son in law of Moses and had married his daughter Elizabeth- see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA702 22 July 1853 for Isaac Levy 12 West Street Westminster

See also Cemetery Scribes ID 3007 and 3008 for tombstones and records for Moses and Sarah Russell. Sarah Russell nee Levin had died 1847.

Moses can be seen with Sarah in the 1841 Census and living with Isaac Levy in 1851;
    1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 7307 1412 176
    29 Grafton Street St.Anne Soho Middx
    Moses Russell 60 Independent b in county
    Sarah Russell wife 55 b in county
    Sarah 17 daughter not b in county

1851 Census ( Copyright TNA) HO107 1510 36 1
    12 West Street St.Anne Soho Middx
    Isaac Levy H M 48 Butcher b City of London
    Moses Russell father in law 80 annuitant b Middx Tower Hamlets
    +3 servants

Nb Elizabeth Isaac nee Russell had died in child birth and Matthias Levy was her son. Isaac in his will appears to have re- married but I have yet to confirm name/date of marriage.

Phillip

This post is a follow up to the thread Maurice Davies-Amelia Hart started in 2013. In the thread I posted information on the divorce case Davies v Davies v Skoulding in 1871 which appeared in various national newspapers. What I omitted was the role that John Davies brother of Maurice and John's wife Isabella Davies nee Russell played in the petition started by Maurice.
    The divorce case named Isabella and stated that Amelia Davies nee Hart .."had been confined to her kitchen with the petitioner's brother's wife, who was the daughter of Mr Henry Russell, the celebrated composer." The Liverpool Mercury Monday July 3, 1871.

The newspaper articles also referred to Amelia Davies nee Hart living in the same house as the mother of Maurice and John Davies together with six children.

The articles further referred to the two sisters of Amelia Davies nee Hart who were Kate Crawcour and Mrs Solomons. To clarify the relationships and to demonstrate the serious falling out between the Crawcour/Davies/Hart families plus Henry Russell it important to recognise that Amelia Hart was the daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs. Their daughter Catherine aka Kate was married to Abraham Crawcour son of Isaac Crawcour c 1777-1837 =Simha Cohen De Lara 1776-1851. To further complicate the relationships Henry Russell was to have a relationship with Hannah De Lara daughterof Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour who was a daughter of Isaac/Simha. In addition, Ann Crawcour had married David Davies and they were the parents of Maurice and John Davies. Ann was the daughter of Isaac and Simha.
    As an added bonus, Henry Chapman Hart son of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs had married Amelia Hart daughter of Aaron Hart = Ann Rebecca Crawcour the daughter of David Crawcour 1791-1882 who was the younger brother of Isaac Crawcour=Simha.

My relationship to the lines is via David Crawcour 1791-1882 my 4x great grandfather and his daughter Ann Rebecca Crawcour =Aaron Hart my 3x great grandparents.

Mrs Solomons sister of Amelia was Sarah Hart who had married and separated from her husband and took the stage name Miss Agnes Burdett. Both sisters accused Maurice Davies of abuse towards their sister and .."Mrs Kate Crawcour a sister of the respondent, stated that both she and her husband strongly objected to the marriage of her sister to the petitioner." Lloyds Weekly Newspaper Sunday July 9, 1871

As previously posted on Amelia Davies nee Hart was to re-marry and Maurice and John Davies were to live together until their deaths.

What part Henry Russell played in the process is not identified but the plot further thickened when Simon Russell aka George Henry Russell son of Israel Russell brother of Henry married Catherine Virginia Levy daughter of Daniel Levy=Amelia Jacobs. Amelia being the sister of Elizabeth Jacobs =John Hart.

There is of course the Adelina De Lara aka Tilbury aka Preston connection to all the above lines through her mother Anne De Lara and aunt Hannah De Lara these two being the daughters of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour c 1804-1879 and David Laurent De Lara. Sarah being the daughter of Isaac=Simha.

I will also post on a relationship between Philip Russell (brother of Moses Russell father of Henry Russell ) and my Jacobs paternal line.

After twenty years of research I am still discovering and confirming the various relationships as new data emerges.

Phillip

The following records relate to John Davies and Isabella Russell:
    Marriage Certificate
    Upper Town Church City of Boulogne sur mer Empire of France
    June 13,1857
    John DAVIES 30 Bachelor Surgeon Dentist 14 Grande Rue Boulogne sur mer-father David DAVIES Gentleman
    Isabella RUSSELL 21 Spinster 14 Grande Rue Boulogne sur mer-father Henry RUSSELL Gentleman
    Witnesses- C R Allatt MD; L C Lumley

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9 222 22 3
    33? Ludgate Street Ludgate Middx
    John DAVIES H M 33 Surgeon Dentist b Middx City of London
    Isabella wife 24 b America
    Henry son 2 b Notting Hill
    Maurirce Fitzclarence 1 son b St Pancras

+2 servants

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 44 69 43
    34 Colville Road Kensington London
    John Davies H M 45 Surgeon Dentist b Middx Whitechapel
    Isabella wife 34 b America B.S.
    Henry R son 2 scholar b Middx Pentonville
    Maurice F Son 11 scholar b Middx Kensington
    Annie E Dau 9 b City of London
    David M Son 7 b Paddington
    John L Son 3 b Kensington
    Albert E son 6 mths b Kensington
    Maurice C Davies brother M 47 Professor of Music b Whitechapel
    Ann Davies mother widow 74 b Whitechapel
    +2 servants

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 648 121 16
    50 Orkney Street Battersea London
    Isabella Davies H M 45 b America BS
    Anne dau u 20 Dressmaker b London
    Frederick son 12 scholar b Hammersmith
    Albert son 10 b Hammersmith
    +2 lodgers + 2 visitors

Death GRO Index
    Isabella Davies b abt 1835 Oct qtr 1886 Lambeth 1d 322

I will post further.

Phillip

The following data relates to David Davis aka Davies and Ann Crawcour aka Cravicour:
    Synagogue Scribes Great Synagogue Marriage
    GSM 212/54
    David Davis Hebrew Moshe David ( Son of a Privileged Member) 11 Sept 1822-Ann Cravicour -father's Hebrew name Isaac

1841 Census ( Copyright TNA) HO107 712 4 7 33 16 7
    East Side New Road Stepney
    David Davis 45 Musician not born in county
    Ann Davis 35 not born in county
    Maurice Davis 15 not born in county
    +1 servant

1851 Census (Copyright TNA)
    13 New Road Somerset Place Stepney
    David Davies H M 58 Musician b City of London
    Ann wife 53
    Maurice son 32 Musician
    +1 servant

The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,2004 Publisher Robert Boyd
    Berger refers to the mourning condolences for the death of David Davies..13 New Road Commercial Road 30.1.1863 and the house move by Maurice Davies and Mrs Davies from 13 New Road E to 1 Shrewsbury Road Westbourne Park 10.11.1865. There are also other newspaper extracts which refer to John Davies and the birth 20.11.1864 at The Laurels Church Street Stoke Newington, surgeon dentist -a son. The house move of John Davies is also recorded- Mr John Davies Surgeon Dentist.. has removed to Colville House Colville Gardens W -4.10.1867

Phillip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast