Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default HENRY RUSSELL AKA DAVIS AKA DAVIES

In his book From One End of the Earth to the Other.The London Bet Din, 1805-1855, and the Jewish Convicts transported to Australia, Jeremy I Pfeffer,2008,2010 Sussex Academic Press Pfeffer referred to The Russell/Davis/Solomon scam. This scam involved Henry Russell aka Davis aka Davies together with his father Phillip Russell and Henry Jacobs a dealer in cut glass of Crown Street Finsbury Square plus Judah and Joseph Solomon brothers and transported convicts to Tasmania.
    I have previously posted some information on the scam on another thread related to Judah and Joseph Solomon. Judah Solomon had married Esther Russell the sister of Phillip. Henry Jacobs was also one of my Jacobs relatives and as posted on in this thread the Russell lines were to marry into my Crawcour/Jacobs/Hart/Levy paternal lines.
    The scam began in 1821 by with Ann Crawcour and David Davis/Davies marrying in 1822. David Davis/Davies was a musician by 1841 or earlier and I have begun to speculate as to why Henry Russell adopted the alias of Davis/Davies. I have no proof that David Davis/Davies was related to the Russell lines and it maybe a coincidence that Henry Russell adopted the alias of Davis/Davies himself. The scam was to set up the two Solomon brothers in business and to get a Land Grant for Henry Russell aka Davis/Davies in Tasmania. How and why Henry Jacobs was involved is not known but it very clear that the Russell/Jacobs knew each other well in terms of the business deal.
    Esther Russell was a sister of Moses Russell father of Henry the composer/singer. Esther had married an unknown Abrahams who had died leaving her a widow at the time of her marriage to Judah Solomon in 1805 Sheerness Kent.

It is interesting that the musical profession was adopted by Henry Russell, David Davis/Davies and his son Maurice as well as other Russell - more coincidences or family traits and links?

Phillip

I hold copies of the full wills for Hannah Russell nee De Lara her son Landon Ronald and Henry Lloyd Russell.
    In this post I will provide a summary on the wills:
    Hannah Russell will dated 7 February 1921 Probate granted to Sir Landon Ronald and Samuel Lithgow the executors
    Legacies to her sister Rachel LAX the wife of Henry Lax c/o The Rev.Mr and Mrs Read St Johns Vicarage Upper Parkstone Dorset £10;her son Henry £600 and should he die in her lifetime to his sons Tosti and Sheridan; to son Landon £350; to Mrs Nina Russell residing Monte Carlo £200;step grandson Charles Russell of Elmstead Spinney Chislehurst £100;step daughter Emsie Marcella COHNHOFF of Boulogne France £100;Mrs Lilly Coleman of Warmwell Down Farm Broadmayne near Dorchester Dorset £10

To son Henry minature portrait of her father with letter from Sir Augustus Harris; her own portrait in oils; portrait of her father in oils.
    To fried Joseph O'Mara all pictures in her bedroom plus various bedroom furniture and minature of her late husband; to Bride O'Mara wife of Joseph all ivory objects on dressing table plus illuminated chess table unless her Lnadon or his son Vernon want it.

To niece Adelina SHIPWRIGHT of 19 The Park Hampstead the collection of framed photographs of celebrities except ones Henry or Landon might choose.
    To friend Samuel LITHGOW the two bronze Marly horses

To Rachel Lax during her life an annuity of £13

Leasehold properties nos 16 and 18 Howley Place Paddington to son Henry and if he should die in her lifetime to his sons Tosti and Sheridan

Leasehold properties 6 Warwick Avenue Paddington to son Landon and if he should die in her lifetime to his son Vernon

All other personal estate and effects to be divided on sale in equal parts to sons Henry and Landon or on their death in her lifetime to their sons

I will post further will summaries plus data on the families.

Phillip

This post relates to Sir Landon Ronald aka Landon Russell son of Henry Russell and Hannah De Lara. The post provides BMD and will for Landon plus his wives and son Vernon. I am still researching his wives and will post further as data emerges.
    Landon Ronald aka Russell was married three times. The first marriage to Hermina Henrietta Ettlinger b 1873- died 26 July 1932. She was born in Frankfurt am Maine. Articles refer to her committing suicide but I have yet to see data to confirm this.
    Their son was Vernon Emile Landon G Ronald 1899-1978. He married Leila Rosalind Roost 1897-1985 (further data is needed to confirm who her parents etc were).
    Probate for Hermina aka Mimi:
    Dame Mimi Ronald 34 Warwick Avenue Maida Hill Middlesex (wife of Sir Landon Ronald knight0 died 26 July 1932 Probate to John William Pepper solicitor Effects £4226 3s 8d

GRO Birth Index Record-Vernon Emile G Russell July qtr 1899 London 1a 7 and also under same index record as Ronald surname

1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 2 52 19
    20 Howley Place St.Mary's Paddington London
    Landon Russell H M 27 Composer of Music b Notting hill London
    Minnie wife 27 b Germany ( German subject)
    Vernon son 1 b London Paddington
    +3 servants

1911 (Copyright TNA) RG14 120 16 22 3
    Lord Weymouth's Grammar School Church Street Warminster Wiltshire
    Vernon Landon Ronald 11 school b London Paddington

1911 (Copyright TNA)
    118 Westbourne Terrace Bayswater London W
    Landon Ronald H M 37 Principal of the Guildhall School of Music b Notting Hill London
    Mimi wife 38 Married 13 years 1 child 1 alive b Frankfurt a Maine (Mendent) German
    Max Mossel visitor 39 single Professor of Music violinist b Rotterdam Holland Dutch (Resident0
    +4 servants

Freedom of the City of London Admissions 1 Nov 1910
    Landon Ronald Russell 118 Westbourne Terrace Hyde Park W Conductor and composer son of Henry Russell late of 18 Howley Place Paddington Middlesex Composer deceased

Landon signed as Landon Ronald and Landon Russell

1939 Register (Copyright TNA)
    Wilcote Harrow Middlesex

Vernon Ronald b June 8 1899 Advertising Manager (Inspector Metropolitan S? Constabulary Wealdston X Station Warrant...02366E Divisional no 752) This appears to be War service call up but needs confirming
    Leila Ronald b 6 Feb 1897 Unpaid domestic worker

I will post further.

Phillip

In #13 I referred incorrectly to Landon Ronald aka Russell being married three times. He was married twice.
    His second marriage was to Mary Callison- GRO Marriage Index Oct qtr 1932 Paddington 1a 208. She died GRO Death Index Molly Ronald March qtr 1940 age 50 Marylebone 1a 980.
    Probate
    Dame Molly Landon Ronald 5f Hyde Park Mansions NW1 Died 30 Jan 1940 at the Middlesex Hospital London W1. Probate to Arthur William Kendall MD and Alice Kendall (wife of Arthur William Kendall ) Effects £23778 12s 3d

Will of Sir Landon Ronald 34 Warwick Avenue London Knight Bachelor.
    He appointed his 3 good friends Alfred Clark Warren House Iver Heath Bucks;John William Pepper 41 Wimpole Street London solicitor; Leonard Beecroft The Cottage Wedderburn Road Hampstead as executors and trustees.

"As I know my dear wife's generous heart and her ignorance of finance it is my wish that she should consult these Trustees on all matters of business and finance and be guided by their advice"
    "Unless any public body hold other views I wish to be buried as near as possible to the grave of my beloved parents (Mr and Mrs Henry Russell) in Kensal Green Cemetery and I would like a Memorial Service to be held"

Bequest to his wife Mary Veronica (usually known as Molly) £750; son Vernon £1000 and all 'my wearing apparel"-all royalties and performing rights of musical compositions to his wife plus all furniture, linen,glass, books, manuscripts, pictures, prints, musical instruments, ornaments
    Bequests to Professor's Benevolent Fund Guildhall School of Music £25-Guildhall school of music and Drama his library of orchestral scores and parts
    Memontoes to a wide number of friends including Sir Thomas Beecham
    To his secretary Miss Dorothy Auliff £20
    All monies from his estate for the benefit of his wife

Phillip

The following data refers to Vernon Ronald son of Sir Landon Ronald aka Russell:
    Vernon married Leila Rosalind Tyler nee ROOST. She married Horace V Tyler GRO Marriage Index Leila R Roost Oct qtr 1921 Rochford 4a 1586.
    I do not know if she divorced her husband or he died but the GRO Marriage Index shows Leila R Roost or Tyler April qtr 1930 Marylebone 1a 1483 to Vernon Ronald.

The 1965 London Electoral Registers show them at 25a Avenue Gardens Ealing.
    Death Index-Vernon Russell Ronald b 8.6.1899 age 79 June qtr 1978 Ealing 12 0043
    Probate- Vernon Russell Ronald 25a Avenue Gardens London W3 died 10 June 1978 - £328

Leila died age 88 b 24 Feb 1897 Died Oct qtr 1985 Brent 11 717

I will post on Leila's parents/siblings.

Phillip

The following data relates to Leila Rosalind Roost the wife of Vernon Russell Landon:
    Baptism Leila Rosalind Roost b 24 Feb 1897 Baptism Bristol Gloucester 10 April 1906 Parents James John Roost; Rose Roost

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG 14859 316

20 St. Matthews Road Cotham Bristol

James John ROOST H 40 Turkish Bath Masseusse b West Buckland Somerset
    Rose wife 41 Married 19 Years 8 children 6 alive 2 dead b Bristol Gloucester
    Carl James son 16 Tailor's apprentice b Bristol
    LEILA ROSALIND dau 14 Household help at home b Bristol
    Phyllis Valerie dau 10 school b Bristol
    Audrey Violet dau 5 school b Bristol
    Geoffrey Haddon son 3 b Bristol
    Kenneth George son 3 b Bristol

Phillip

Default DONNA SHINN -HENRY RUSSELL

This post is the start of further data on Henry Russell 1871-1937 son of Henry Russell and Hannah De Lara aka Ronald.
    Family trees record that Henry had 3 wives-Hannah Da Costa Andrade;Donna Shinn; Lady Patricia Hamilton -Temple Blackwood.

The information on Donna Shinn on the family trees is very limited with no data on her parents or where she was born and when.
    The following data provides information on these omissions.
    The Sacremento Union Vol 182 No 8 8 May 1915 (California Digital Newspaper Collection) records..." Miss Donna Dolores Shinn the daughter of Attorney and Mrs A L Shinn leaves this morning for Pasadena on the first stage of a journey to Paris,France, whehere she is booked to appar in grand opera at the Theater Comique in November...She sails for Naples June 3. For fear of submarines she will go to France by way of Italy, instead of England."

A photograph of Donna Shinn appears in the Sacremento Union Vol 116,No 56 18 Oct 1908 and in L'Italia Oct 7 1912

The Sacremento Union No 29 , 29 Nov 1911 carried the article which described .."Miss Shinn who is the daughter of Mr and Mrs A L Shinn of this City... Miss Shinn has studied in New York and San Francisco for several years.."

There are various newspaper articles on Donna Shinn and her early career -see Chronicling America Digitial Newspapers.

Her father was Albert Loring Shinn 1854-1940 and Serene (Salena) Gray. The family with Donna appear in 2 US Census records:
    1900 (Copyright US National Archives) Sacremento Ward 6 Sacremento Page 12 0086 California
    Albert L SHINN H 45 b Oct 1854 Lawyer born Missouri father b UNK Mother b UNK
    Sarena wife b Sept 1862 37 b California father b Portugal
    Bessie dau b July 1881 18 b California
    ?son b Jan 1885 15 b Califiornia
    Carl son 13 b California
    DONNA dau b Jan 1891 9 b California

1910 (Copyright US National Archives )T624 93 11A 1910
    14 St Sacremento Ward 7 California

Albert L SHINN 56 H M 5 chdn 4 alive Lawyer b Missouri
    Senna wife 48 b California
    Carl son 23 b California
    Donald ROLFF Grandson 4 b California father b Germany mother b California
    Jack ROLFF Grandson 7 b California
    DONNA SHINN dau 20 b California
    Amanda GRAY Mother in law 85 b Missouri father b Virginia
    +1 servant

I have yet to see a record of a marriage between Donna Shinn and Henry Russell.

When Henry Russell died in 1837 he left 1 page of Probate ( I hold a copy)- Henry Russell Hotel Martinez Cannes Alps Maritimes France -a British Subject domiciled in France.
    " I revoke all former Wills and Testamentary dispositions heretofore made by me....I appoint my son Sheridan Russell executor....I give free of duty to my wife Lady Patricia Ethel Russell all articles and effects of personal domestic or household use ornament or consumption belonging to me... I devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate whatsoever situate not disposed of by this my Will or by any Codicil thereto 9 including any property over which I have general power of appointment at the time of my death after payment of my debts and funeral and testaamentary expenses to my saide son Sheridan Russell..Signed and dated 24 August 1937
    Witnesses Harry C Burnett 11 Henrietta St Cavendish Square W1 Solicitor;Michael Welch same address Solicitor

I will post on the other wives.

I have no data on when and where Donna Shinn died or whether she re-married.

Phillip

Default DONNA DOLERES SHINN 1890-1975-HENRY RUSSELL

This is a follow up post on Donna Doleres Shinn 1890-1975 second wife of Henry Russell. US Passport Applications show that Donna was born Susanville Lassen Cy California b 11 Jan 1890 father A L Shinn b Missouri.Permanent residence San Francisco left US 22 May 1915 and now living in Monte Carlo Monaco- Desires passport to visit England for singing Dated 22 Nov 1917. Later passports show April 1919 Resided in France May 1915-1919. UK Passenger Lists Donna Shinn 30 b abt 1890 Port Departure NY Port of Arrival Southampton 6 May 1920

The US Census Records show:
    1930 (Copyright US National Archives) Ward Assembly Dist 32 2 SanFarncisco California 1A 0353
    Serene SHINN H 48? widow Nurse Practical b California father born Portugal mother b California
    DONNA SHINN 34 Divorced writer b California father b Missouri mother b California

1940 (Copyright US National Archives) San Francisco California m-t0627 00319 Page 61 B 38-518

Fillmore Street House 2425 San Fancisco
    Serene Shinn H Widow 79 b California
    DONNA D RUSSELL 50 Widow Vocal Teacher b California

California Death Index
    Donna D RUSSELL B 11 Jan 1890 Death 23 April 1975 San Francisco

San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records
    April 23 1975
    DONNA DOLERES RUSSELL
    240 Jones St- Nephew Mr John DALTON Ret Clerk Pearl Ins Co

Dob 1/11/1890 Age 85
    born California father Albert Shinn b Mississipi Mother Serene Gray born CA

Place of Death French Hospital SF
    Resided in State 45 years
    Cause of Death Aspiration pneumonia Large Bowel obstruction

Funeral Cematory Cypress Lawn Date of Funeral April 23 1975 Service None

I will post further.

Phillip

Default SIR LANDON RONALD-MARY (MOLLIE) CALLISON

This post provides further data on Mary aka Mollie Callison. The 1911 Census shows her with her parents and some siblings.
    1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 23740
    921 Ashton Old Road Manchester
    Richard Dobson Callison H M 55 Laundry Machine Dealer Employer b Bolton Lancashire
    Martha wife 55 Married 30 years 9 children 6 living 3 dead b Dukenfield Cheshire
    MARY dau single 22 Shop Assistant in the business b Openshaw Lancashire
    Dorothy dau 16 single school b Openshaw Lancashire
    Marjorie dau 14 b Didsbury Lanashire

Probate
    Richard Dobson Callison 93 Fog Lane Didsbury Manchester died 18 March 1943 Probate to Arthur William Kendall Medical Practitioner Effects 1066 5s

Manchester Evening News Tues 30 Jan 1940

Death of Lady Ronald ...Lady Ronald was Sir Landon's second wife and married him in December 1932. She was Miss Mary Callison daughter of Mr R D Callison of Fog Lane, Didsbury Manchester and a great friend of Sir Landon's first wife the former Frauelein Mimi Ettlinger.

Phillip

Default HANNAH DA COSTA ANDRADE-HENRY RUSSELL

This post provides data on Hannah Da Costa Andrade wife of Henry Ronald Russell 1871-1937. Hannah aka Nina was the daughter of Samuel Costa Andrade 1838-1909 and Miriam Nunes Carvalho 1842-1907. Hannah was born 1868- GRO Birth Index Hannah Da Costa Andrade July qtr 1868 Brighton 2b 175 and died Dec qtr 1939 Thanet 2a 2914 age 71.

Her father Samuel was a feather (ostrich) merchant. There is reference in the Jewish Chronicle to Samuel Andrade in South Africa in 1854 trading in feathers but I do not know if he was one in the same. The GRO Birth Index records Samuel Andrade June qtr 1838 City of London 2 171. I will provide further data as the research continues.

The 1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 1074 49 5
    15 Devonshire Place Brighton Kemptown
    Samuel da Costa Andrade H M 32 Merchant b Essex?
    Miriam wife 28
    Solomon son 4 b Kent Ramsgate
    Hannah dau 2 b Sussex Brighton
    +1 servant

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 1088 95 35
    2 Buckingham Road Brighton Sussex
    Samuel da C Andrade H M 42 Ostrich feather merchant b Middx London
    Marion wife 38 b Middx London
    Solomon son 14 b Kent Ramsgate
    Hannah dau 12 b Sussex Brighton
    Sarah dau 9 b Sussex Brighton
    Josephine dau 7 b Sussex Brighton
    +1 boarder +3 servants

Probate
    Samuel da Costa Andrade 40 Landsmore Strret Hove Sussex died 1 Sept 1909.Probate to Solomon Hyam Andrade stock broker's clerk and John Joshua Hands solicitor £383 6s 10d

GRO Death Index Samuel da Costa Andrade b abt 1837 age 72 July qtr 1909 Steyning 2b 151

This maybe his wife- GRO Death Index Miriam Andrade Sept qtr 1907 age 63 Holborn 1b 314

The Jewish Chronicle -On the 1st Sept at Brighton, Samuel da Costa Andrade aged 72. Funeral leaves Victoria Station (L.B.S.C.R.) 10.55 today (Friday) for Golders Green -JC Sept 3 1909.

More data to follow.

Phillip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast