Stephen Evans

Smile Excise Officers/Riding Officer/Mounted Guard

Obviously the Coast Guad came under the Admiralty/Navy control, but does anyone know what an Excise or a Riding Officers fell under? Excuse the pun!!

Cheers

Geoffers

The National Archives many research guides which tell you where to find information.

Riding officers are mentioned in this guide - Coastguard
    This guide deals with - Customs and Excise

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Stephen

The Coast Guard did not come under Admiralty control until 1856, prior to this date the forerunner of the CG Service the Preventative Water Guard (PWG) was under the control of the Board of Customs. In 1822, following a review of the various services engaged in anti smuggling and coastal defence, the PWG, Riding Officers and Revenue Cruisers were amalgamated into a new 'Coast Guard' force.

The term 'Riding Officers' and 'Mounted Guard' at this time were interchangable. If you wished to trace a man in this brance of the service many of the early CG records in the ADM 175 series have lists of these men, the majority of whom joined from an army cavalry regt., or in some instances the Metropolitan Police.

It was following the Crimean War, when the lack of a naval reserve became apparent, that the CG were transferred to the Admiralty; although some 3000 CG men saw active service in the navy during the Crimean War.

Regards

Martin

Stephen Evans

Smile

Many thank all for your help on this posting, as I have discovered two family relatives in this fascinating occupation which I have posted on another thread, they being a Thomas Repington and a John Merryman Moore, both different tree's. I have as late concentratd research on Thomas and have so far found some great information.

The Search Continues!!

Thanks Again